Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2014 1:21:18 PM EDT
I’m looking to augment my magazine inventory and I’m taking a look at the USGI-style curved-body 20 round magazines (like what BCM sells).

I’ve never used them before, and have had positive experiences with the straight-body 20 rounders, but the main reason I’m interested is logistics.  

I know the straight-bodied 20 rounders take a different spring and follower from the 30s, but seeing as the curved ones take the same follower as the 30 rounders, I wondered if the spring was the same due to the different dimensions.  If they do, I’d only have to have one type of rebuild kit for two different magazine bodies.

Do the 20 round, curved-body, USGI-style magazines take the same spring as a 30 round USGI magazine?

If anyone could take some pictures of a curved 20 and a 30 round magazine, side by side and disassembled, that would answer my question and be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:36:24 PM EDT
[#1]
If this doesnt get any hits post this in the retro section. They will definitely know.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:29:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I’m looking to augment my magazine inventory and I’m taking a look at the USGI-style curved-body 20 round magazines (like what BCM sells).

I’ve never used them before, and have had positive experiences with the straight-body 20 rounders, but the main reason I’m interested is logistics.  

I know the straight-bodied 20 rounders take a different spring and follower from the 30s, but seeing as the curved ones take the same follower as the 30 rounders, I wondered if the spring was the same due to the different dimensions.  If they do, I’d only have to have one type of rebuild kit for two different magazine bodies.

Do the 20 round, curved-body, USGI-style magazines take the same spring as a 30 round USGI magazine?

If anyone could take some pictures of a curved 20 and a 30 round magazine, side by side and disassembled, that would answer my question and be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
View Quote

You say USGI style curved 20 round mags?

USGI 20's are ALL straight body.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:23:38 PM EDT
[#3]

This is the one I'm talking about.

It appears that they made these 20s on the same tooling as the 30s, just chopped short to 20 rounds.

I say "USGI-style" because obviously all issued 20 rounders are straight bodied, but these seem to have the same geometry and materials/construction methods as the USGI 30 round mags, only shorter.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:57:43 PM EDT
[#4]
OP, they do not take the same length of spring.  I have a bunch of the 20's like that though.  I had some old shitty CProd 20's, and had shitty springs.  I took some 30 rounder springs, and cut them about a coil and a half longer, for a little more power.  They work without any problems.  Hope this helps some.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:47:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, they do not take the same length of spring.  I have a bunch of the 20's like that though.  I had some old shitty CProd 20's, and had shitty springs.  I took some 30 rounder springs, and cut them about a coil and a half longer, for a little more power.  They work without any problems.  Hope this helps some.
View Quote

Thanks, appreciate it.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top