Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/18/2014 2:00:34 AM EDT
So I just received a cool Gen 3 Magpul 20 rounder from a friend today, and I don't know about you guys, but I do really like the feature that allows the dust cover to snap on the bottom of the Gen. 2-30 round magazines.

Unfortunately the Gen 3's don't seem to share that feature.

Don't know about you guys, but sometimes while working on a car, I've spent more time looking for some tool that I had just set down somewhere, than I have actually spent working on the car itself...know what I mean.

Anyway, I modified this Gen 3 mag. so that I could snap that cover on the bottom and it works pretty darn good!

...but I'm not quite ready to show you the experimental hack job that I did to the back of that poor magazine in order to get it to work.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:31:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I prefer the gen2s for this reason, hopefully they will bring the concept back on the gen4s
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:37:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I hate how the gen 3 pmag 20 rounders are curved. Just one more reason not to buy them. I always liked the straight gen 2 20 rounders, but I cant find them anymore
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:15:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:41:31 AM EDT
[#4]
All my G2 and G3 mags have Ranger plates so if one could figure out how to retain the dust covers in that configuration, that would be spectacular.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:57:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I've never done much dusting whilst wearing / carrying mags so I don't see the issue here. Besides, how are you gonna slam that mag home with the extra plastic dangling there?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:01:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I picked up two 10 round mags yesterday for the 300BLK I'm planning on building.  That was one of the first things I noticed.

I just figured I was doing it wrong
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:29:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I think I have a box of dust covers around here somewhere.  I don't see a need for them.

-Deke
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I usually just throw those away.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:25:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:25:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Now it we could get a dust cover/ranger pull combo....
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:49:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I hate how the gen 3 pmag 20 rounders are curved. Just one more reason not to buy them. I always liked the straight gen 2 20 rounders, but I cant find them anymore
View Quote

I was lucky enough to find 2 black Gen 2 20-rounders in a local pawn shop last week for $6.99, each. I couldn't pay for them fast enough, lest they realize the market price is almost triple that.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:16:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Solutions.....looking for a problem.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:39:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Brilliant!

I'd buy those.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:07:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Brilliant!

I'd buy those.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brilliant!

I'd buy those.

This
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:09:14 PM EDT
[#15]
They make no sense.

While in storeage they are protected from dust by what ever container they are in.

While being used they are taken off.

In both situations they Arn't needed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:12:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I never even use the dust caps.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:01:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They make no sense.

While in storeage they are protected from dust by what ever container they are in.

View Quote

Agreed. When I buy new PMags, the covers get popped off just once....directly into the junk drawer, never to be seen again.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:11:30 AM EDT
[#18]
I thought their main function was to take tension off the feed lips, rather than to shield from dust.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:13:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Agreed. When I buy new PMags, the covers get popped off just once....directly into the junk drawer, never to be seen again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They make no sense.

feel free to send them to me and ill use em if you arent going to!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yep
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep

Me three.  Dust covers?  Really?  Come on...
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:17:14 PM EDT
[#21]
You know, they keep the feedlips from spreading and all.  LMAO  Said no Magpul ever.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I just wish they'd come out with a 5.56mm AK magazine....
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:06:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They make no sense.

View Quote

keeps pressure off the lips... i find them important for long term storage with rounds in the mag.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:15:34 AM EDT
[#24]
yep, take pressure off the feed lips...  but all those kids think plastic is indestructible so who am I to say different...
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:38:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They make no sense.

Same here, or thrown away.  Never really saw the need.  I have mags from I think 07 that I run routinely still and they are loaded all the time.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
yep, take pressure off the feed lips...  but all those kids think plastic is indestructible so who am I to say different...
View Quote

Well since you asked, you are exactly nobody of any consequence, when it comes to what the manufacturer has said over and over and over and over and over and over.  That they are not needed, and they do nothing to, or for the feedlips.  

You know, storing mags loaded over a week, will ruin your spring too right?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Same here, or thrown away.  Never really saw the need.  I have mags from I think 07 that I run routinely still and they are loaded all the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They make no sense.

How!?!  How do you ever manage?   This cannot be possible!  You must have no idea of what messed up feedlips look like, or you'd surely know you have them!
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:55:45 PM EDT
[#28]
I like the covers. But they only do just that until they are needed. If I loose some, ill buy some more. They are certainly cheaper than most things about my rifle. ;)
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:05:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Well since you asked, you are exactly nobody of any consequence, when it comes to what the manufacturer has said over and over and over and over and over and over.  That they are not needed, and they do nothing to, or for the feedlips.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But that was the selling point when they were introduced, the koolaid has affected your memory.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

haha

13ers gonna 13

Magpul DID put that in their patent description.

So, while I too am nobody of any consequence, I do know how to read.

Scroll down to Detailed Desciption,next to last page, half way into Section 5

"protective cover 40 also provides reinforcement during storage, as pressure from the stored ammunition and spring 35 would normally force the feed lips 21 of the magazine 1 apart. Protective cover 40, shown in figs 10 – 10c interface with geometry, namely notch 44 and hinge base 48, on the magazine body 10 with latch 43 and cover hinge 47 forces the ammunition downward within underside spacer 45 thereby absorbing and distributing the forces that would normally be applied to feed lips 21 in a more advantageous manner.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:05:06 PM EDT
[#31]
13'ers...great comback.  I was here a long time before I registered, but then again, I really have exactly nothing to prove to you or anybody else.  I can only attest to what the guys who make the product, have said over and over and over.  Yes I get they said it may help in the beginning, but I think they have been proven unneeded.  

I drink no koolaide.  I have several hundred mags, of Magpul, Lancer, and USGI flavors.  I buy good shit, and I get exactly what you get out of good shit.....not many problems.  You want to obsess over covers?  Be my guest.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:26:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:42:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Before building the first PMag mold  we had no idea how the feed lips of the PMag would hold up under long term loading so we built this feature into the protective impact covers. After the first year of testing in 2008 we have stated that the use of the impact cover for long term loaded storage is not required.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

haha

13ers gonna 13

Magpul DID put that in their patent description.

So, while I too am nobody of any consequence, I do know how to read.

Scroll down to Detailed Desciption,next to last page, half way into Section 5

http://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?PageNum=0&docid=08839543&IDKey=982F2AD23D50&HomeUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fpatft.uspto.gov%2Fnetacgi%2Fnph-Parser%3FSect1%3DPTO2%2526Sect2%3DHITOFF%2526p%3D1%2526u%3D%25252Fnetahtml%25252FPTO%25252Fsearch-bool.html%2526r%3D1%2526f%3DG%2526l%3D50%2526co1%3DAND%2526d%3DPTXT%2526s1%3D8%2C069%2C601%2526OS%3D8%2C069%2C601%2526RS%3D8%2C069%2C601

"protective cover 40 also provides reinforcement during storage, as pressure from the stored ammunition and spring 35 would normally force the feed lips 21 of the magazine 1 apart. Protective cover 40, shown in figs 10 – 10c interface with geometry, namely notch 44 and hinge base 48, on the magazine body 10 with latch 43 and cover hinge 47 forces the ammunition downward within underside spacer 45 thereby absorbing and distributing the forces that would normally be applied to feed lips 21 in a more advantageous manner.

Before building the first PMag mold  we had no idea how the feed lips of the PMag would hold up under long term loading so we built this feature into the protective impact covers. After the first year of testing in 2008 we have stated that the use of the impact cover for long term loaded storage is not required.

Heresy you say!!!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:03:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too. I refuse to buy 20 round mags that are curved. They look goofy.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top