Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/11/2014 4:00:01 PM EDT
As I am sitting here loading up some mags for the range I became curious as to how you men load your mags.

I know with my old hands and fingers I would be SOL without using a LULA mad loader.

Also, do you guys have personal mags that you like and more importantly know are reliable?
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a combat vet but I can tell you that military ammo comes on stripper clips and you will learn more about magazines and reliability training than you will fighting, assuming the environmental conditions are similar. Just from the greater amount of gunfire.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 4:37:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
As I am sitting here loading up some mags for the range I became curious as to how you men load your mags.

I know with my old hands and fingers I would be SOL without using a LULA mad loader.

Also, do you guys have personal mags that you like and more importantly know are reliable?
View Quote

most of the time the ammo comes on strippers with a speed loader, but a lot of us bought a plastic 2 piece one that worked better- can't remember who made it. We mostly used the black HK mags when they came out around 2003- people talk bad about them but other than the weight I never had issues with them. Later on (around 2008) the Pmag came out and the command started buying them. I like them better- very reliable and lightweight. The older tin mags we kept in the truck as standby.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 4:38:02 PM EDT
[#3]
By hand or from stripper clip.

I use Magpul p-mag M2/3, Lancer AWM, GI Al mags w/ Magpul followers, or steel mags.  They all work fine but my go to is M2 Pmags because over insertion is no issue for my weapons.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 5:13:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Stripper clip or by hand.  Usually stripper clip.  

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Not a combat vet

stripper clip with spoon and thumb
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stripper clip or by hand.  Usually stripper clip.  

View Quote

Ammo comes in varying qualities and the worst stuff all comes loose and is loaded into magazines by hand.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 6:44:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I use the charger and charger guide when I loaded my mags...
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 6:50:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Mostly it was one at a time for me. I would strip the rounds off of the stripper clips, then load the mag up.

I was probably doing it wrong.

Actually, seems like everyone did it this way if I remember right. I think a saw one Squad leader with a Lula loader.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 7:08:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not a combat vet but I can tell you that military ammo comes on stripper clips and you will learn more about magazines and reliability training than you will fighting, assuming the environmental conditions are similar. Just from the greater amount of gunfire.
View Quote

I agree with this. Try every which way, see what works for you. Also make sure if you're loading round 1 at a time that you aren't trying to push the round in from the front like a pistol mag. I just built my buddy Jeff an AR and I looked over at him at the range and he was loading his mags pistol style, just push straight down from the top.I suggest loading your mags to 28 rounds as well. And it may sound stupid but hand strengthening exercizes will help immsensely. Although I think every fighting age male in America should have a full body weight training program to go hand in hand with their weapon training. But that's a whole different story.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Mostly it was one at a time for me. I would strip the rounds off of the stripper clips, then load the mag up.

I was probably doing it wrong.

Actually, seems like everyone did it this way if I remember right. I think a saw one Squad leader with a Lula loader.
View Quote

After reading these comments I would think the Lula loaders would be a hot commodity.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Used spoons and clips, a LULA my last Iraq deployment and a Strip Lula my last AFG deployment
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:20:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I never understood the need for the fancy loaders when the included charger guide worked just fine. But hey...
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:23:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:24:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Used the PMAGs when they came out. Before that I just used the standard USGI mags, but I kept a close eye on them. I used the LULA mag loader on my second tour. Never could get my hands on the stripper clip guides. Besides I always took the rounds off the stripper clips anyways so I could mix in tracers.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:27:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Used the PMAGs when they came out. Before that I just used the standard USGI mags, but I kept a close eye on them. I used the LULA mag loader on my second tour. Never could get my hands on the stripper clip guides. Besides I always took the rounds off the stripper clips anyways so I could mix in tracers.
View Quote
One charger guide is in each bandoleer (the end pocket)....how did you get your ammo??

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:41:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
One charger guide is in each bandoleer (the end pocket)....how did you get your ammo??

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you get in country you normally get a mix of loose, on stripper clips and both boxed and loose tracers

The Strip LULA is actually significantly easier to load with than the spoons, you never get loose rounds that don't load right with them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Some of you refer to "spoons".  

Do you mean an actual eating spoon or is it something else?

If you do mean a regular spoon, how is it used to load a mag?
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 4:01:45 PM EDT
[#20]
'Spoons' are referring to the stripper-clip guides; the two weird-looking things at the bottom of R-Steel's picture.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Spoon slides on the mag, stripper clips go in the spoon

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:43:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
'Spoons' are referring to the stripper-clip guides; the two weird-looking things at the bottom of R-Steel's picture.
View Quote

Right...I see why they are called spoons.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 5:00:17 AM EDT
[#23]
StripLULA and stripper clip > spoon and stripper clip > thumb
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 5:21:25 AM EDT
[#24]
When we went ashore for Desert Storm and drew ammo, the M-855 was on stripper clips and the M-856 came in boxes. Mags were U.S. G.I. and some coveted Colt marked ones. Mine were a mix of whatever. There were no other options back then for magazines or loaders...

Never had a problem loading magazines the G.I. way but some guys could not get the hang of it and did it by hand. I kept an extra "Spoon" in my gear just in case...

Still like using stripper clips and spoons and G.I. mags but have grown fond of PMAGS lately...

DD

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 8:39:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Most guys can get 20 rounds in the mag with the stripper and spoon easily many times the last 10 are hard to load and you will see guys load the last ten in one by one, lol.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:05:47 AM EDT
[#26]

that or I brought a LULA for loose ammo
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Stripper clips, my man... Stripper clips.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#28]
One at a time or my Sargent did it with strippers.  Glad to be the guy in charge.  

I used a lula on my MITT teams.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:35:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Normally by hand or at times speed loader of some kind that works.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top