Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2014 4:10:15 PM EDT
How long are AR15 magazines good for holding ammo before the spring weakens?

I've just put 25 rounds in my stainless body C-Products 30 round magazine. I figure it's less stress on the spring to leave it sitting indefinitely with 25 rounds in it. I intend to leave those rounds in there forever......reserved for when SHTF situations ever arise. I also have a couple of surplus aluminum body Colt 30 round mags in really good shape. Is Colt a better mag to do this with, or would you rate that and my Cproducts magazine the same for my purposes?

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 4:17:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Do a search this has been covered many times...

The short answer:
The spring weakens from use, not from being compressed in storage.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 4:22:34 PM EDT
[#2]
87 years, 87 days, 8 hours and 7 minutes....... give or take 8 or 7 seconds
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The short answer:
The spring weakens from use, not from being compresses.
View Quote

This is the first time I have ever posted a question in this forum. Being this forum deals only in magazines, I'd bet every question about a magazine has been asked more then once by somebody. And while  ARFCOM is a great websight for AR!5 info, it has one of the worst GawdAwful search tools I have ever tried to use on ANY websight anywhere. I ain't paying $50 membership just to get a friggin search that works great everywhere else........for free!!

Ok......now back to my boring and usual question.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#4]
IMHO... it truly depends on the quality of the magazines spring....I just unloaded a USA made Thermold that has been fully loaded for at least 20 years.... it functioned without a problem.

You just really don't know how good of quality the spring is.

And Thermold mags have a less then stellar street record.

Just don't buy the cheapest mags , buy quality mags and leave 1/2 fully loaded and the other half empty ( BTW, label the date somewhere, so you don't have to wonder how long that mag has been fully loaded... ).... that way you have covered your bases as well as possible.

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/ar15-m16-magazines-prod21225.aspx

http://www.44mag.com/category/nhmtg

Store them with some VCI type product in a ammo can....

Currently quality mags are cheap... buy now..... before the next gun scare.

I consider Cproducts as range mags only.... they work as well as most any other.... but they are not USGI rated. And USGI has worked effectively for Uncle Sugar for decades...
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 4:33:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This is the first time I have ever posted a question in this forum. Being this forum deals only in magazines, I'd bet every question about a magazine has been asked more then once by somebody. And while  ARFCOM is a great websight for AR!5 info, it has one of the worst GawdAwful search tools I have ever tried to use on ANY websight anywhere. I ain't paying $50 membership just to get a friggin search that works great everywhere else........for free!!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The short answer:

Searching this site does suck,  is better using Google.

I just did a search on Google for "ar15.com loaded mags"  and got 20+ links
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 5:34:37 PM EDT
[#6]
How long will a rock last?

Well, that depends, but a good spring steel will keep a static compression life beyond that of you and your children.  

In other words, if you aren't cycling it or putting it beyond a stress point that  it was not designed for, rest assured that the magazine will function properly for your lifetime.  

People who aren't engineers have a difficult time understanding that modern steels are designed for a purpose.  A good stainless steel can sit in a creek bed for a very long time before rust starts to degrade it.  Just because it is human produced doesn't mean that its life-cycle is human-based.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The short answer:

True words.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 6:17:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The short answer:

https://www.google.com/search?q=storing+ammo+in+magazine+site%3Awww.ar15.com&hl=en&gbv=2&oq=&gs_l=
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Put a paperclip on your desk.  How long do you think it'll last?

Bend that paperclip repeatedly over time.  Bet it won't last as long.

Short and skinny, big picture answer - a mag that remains loaded will have a nearly similar life as those which are unloaded.  The process of loading and emptying shortens life.

ETA:  That guy^
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 6:22:49 PM EDT
[#10]
A very long time.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone bought any mag rebuild kits or mag springs lately? I have a few that had 3 springs and followers in them but can't remember who made them or where I ordered from. I want 30-40 extra mag springs.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:48:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok.....thanks guys. I think I'm on a roll now after reading the input here and will squeeze another 4 rounds in it for a total of 29.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ok.....thanks guys. I think I'm on a roll now after reading the input here and will squeeze another 4 rounds in it for a total of 29.

View Quote

29>28
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:10:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:39:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:19:44 AM EDT
[#17]
I found replacement springs at Brownells for $19.99 for a ten pack.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:23:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
30>29

Thirty round magazines means it capacity is thirty rounds

Do you down load your pistol mags?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

29>28
30>29

Thirty round magazines means it capacity is thirty rounds

Do you down load your pistol mags?

If I am not carrying the pistol frequently, and it's a spare magazine sitting in a draw for many years YES, I DO.
Have you ever loaded the last round into a P14 or Glock 27 magazine so that you almost can't push it in?  That kind of constant pressure is the equivelent  to a 300 pound woman sitting on your head all year.      My better judgement tells me do one less round.    

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:47:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 2:07:02 AM EDT
[#20]
I keep half of mine fully loaded, and the other half brand new in the wrapper (in case I ever want to sell/trade them). They aren't much good unless loaded!
I never really understood why people panic or download their mags in fear of spring life. When you think about it... there are LOTS of springs in your AR. Detent pin springs, buffer spring, trigger and hammer springs, etc.. yet no one wonders if THEY will last under pressure. Also just a note, even when your mag is empty, the spring is STILL under pressure (unless you've completely removed it from the mag body). ALL the springs (AR and mags) are designed to be in their "realm" even when fully compressed. Don't sweat it, they were designed to take it. Load 'em up!
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 2:19:45 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The short answer:

The spring weakens from use, not from being compressed in storage.
View Quote
I would caveat this.  A properly designed spring won't have issues from being stored compressed.  Unfortunately not all springs are properly designed.  I've had Sig 226 mags take a set

I have mil surplus mags that have been loaded 10 years, I don't expect any issues from them when they are finally pulled out for use.  Unfortunately the OP has C-products mags and I would not trust them.  Look for some D&H, Brownells, Okay or other surplus mag to use for long term storage.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 4:36:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The compressed spring will not weaken from just sitting in a compressed state. A spring's life is based on how many cycles it sees. This also assumes that you store your mags at room temp. Extremely elevated temps can cause the spring to re-shape, but it would not be safe to store your ammo at those temps so nothing to worry about under normal conditions. Also, some will mention how springs take a "seat", and while that is certainly true, for most springs this happens in the first few times the spring is cycled, once again, nothing to worry about.

Fatigue is what we are talking about. The best way to understand this phenomenon is when you take a small piece of metal and bend it back and forth quickly several times and then it breaks. The same thing happens to springs, its just over a much longer period.

A good stainless spring should last for around 20,000 rounds give or take. Ultimately, storage time (loaded or unloaded) is irrelevant to a springs life.
View Quote

ETSgroup's answer is spot-on.
A metallurgist will tell you this: A spring is weakened by repeated cyclings. The reason is that every time a spring is flexed, microscopic cracks form in it. The more flex cycles, the more cracks. And flexing the spring beyond its design limit will make the cracks even worse.
So if you load a magazine and store it, you get one cycle's worth of cracks.
So a loaded, stored mag will last longer than the mag you take to the range every weekend.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 4:55:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Old USGI 20 rounders will only hold 18 IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:24:19 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote
I own one USGI 20 rounder from te 80's that holds 20 rounds consistently.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:21:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I LOL every time I hear that...

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#27]

I use one of these to load my 17-round M&P pistol mags (it came with the gun, along with three mags, a mag holster and a pistol holster).

Quick and effortless.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:57:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:53:46 AM EDT
[#29]
The following is from Jeff Cooper's Commentaries Vol. 13, No. 2 February 2005:

"Our distinguished family member J.P. Denis of Belgium reports that he discovered an abandoned MP40, together with several magazines, in a building that was being torn down. This piece had been left unattended for 50 years with all magazines in full compression, and they all worked perfectly. I think this is marvelous. When you think of the degree to which our culture depends upon springs, it is good to know that spring construction is so well understood."
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:41:22 PM EDT
[#30]
I've got a stash of about 40 30 round GI mags that have all been loaded for about 12 years now.
They are my shtf stash and I am fully confident that they will function just fine if ever needed.

ETA: They  are all loaded with 30 rounds.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top