Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/17/2014 6:38:27 PM EDT
Please expand on issues with the NEWER units and if possible list the Date on your mag.

I've noticed that if you depress the follower with your finger it will easily hang up
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine is a 10-13 production and has run 600 rounds, steel and brass, perfectly. Even ran it in a full auto mini-FAL with wolf and it was great.

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 7:27:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure on the exact date, but I believe it's mid 2012 and it's never given me a problem. Something like 500 rounds through it now. I trust it.

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmm,

I actually trust my aluminum O-Kay's, D&H's, and the new Center's with the tan follower more than the current 60 round surefire.  The mag was almost too big for the magwell on several of my AR's.  The 60 round surefire's finish had completely worn alway in several spots after a few practice insertions an wouldn't eject without assistance.  

This purchase was in May, I ended up giving it away to a friend in Florida without using it. It's ashamed as the mag already had wear marks from testing and surefire's QA passed it.  I sort of expected more from Surefire.  

Sincerely:

PS- My friend spotted 5 broken/cracked welds perhaps the reason for the fit?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:16:37 AM EDT
[#4]
If they've updated the follower it sure would be nice if they'd offer them to those of us that have the older version. My older model would hang up constantly while firing and was an unreliable pos. I recently took it apart and chamfered all the edges on the follower, there were a lot of sharp edges and some burs. This seemed to fix the issues but I really need to put a lot more rounds through it before I believe it's okay. On mine at least the followers aren't an anti-tilt design so they will hang up if you push them down with your finger, I think the only way to really tell is to fire them. It sure would be nice if Magpul would make a decent quality follower for these mags if Surefire isn't going to get their act together. I just don't see how they can charge what they do and put out such a marginal product. It isn't the Surefire I've known in the past.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:32:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I have had no issues in around 600 rounds in mine. I rarely, rarely, get lucky, and waited until last year for the " newer" ones.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:32:58 AM EDT
[#6]
My two are from 2012.  One runs great, the other can't feed to the top.  I need to call surefire and get it replaced.        

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:06:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Can't remember exactly when I read it but I thought early '13 they did some revisions on the mag and follower. There were posts here if you do a search.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:13:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:19:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought several when they 1st came out and could not get any of them to work on my m16. I emailed surefire and they sent me a shipping label. 2 weeks later I had all of them back and they work great.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Quoted:

My two are from 2012.  One runs great, the other can't feed to the top.  I need to call surefire and get it replaced.          

Surefire will not replace the mag

You will have call Surefire and get a RA# and send it back on your dime

It usually takes about a week

Yeah, I finally called and got the return authorization.  Hopefully I will have a replacement in a week or two.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:51:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm kind of surprised, first of all I disassembled a Surefire 60 rd mag and LIGHTLY beveled the edges on the follower, then I sprayed the inside of the mag and the follower with dry Teflon.

Loaded it up with Tula and proceeded to cycle it through one of my AR's.

Jam, jam, jam.....

Well, I refilled it and this weekend took it out and fired all 60 rds with ZERO malfunctions. I know that one mag dump is meaningless but still I managed to fire off all 60 rounds.

I suspect the recoil and vibration of the weapon helps with feeding the rounds to the top.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I wonder what they actually updated? I'd like to know before I would venture to buy any more.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 7:08:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Please expand on issues with the NEWER units and if possible list the Date on your mag.

I've noticed that if you depress the follower with your finger it will easily hang up
View Quote

Define newer. I just bought my first, a 60rnder for 90$ at  a gun show it is dated 2013.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Surefire just replaced 2 of my 60 round mags with new ones. I have not had a chance to test them yet. But that is good service.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I have one Surefire 60rd mag..I don't know the date. Runs russian steel cased full auto no problem. It will take more time before I can trust it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:51:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I have my 60 that I trust.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:54:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Mine has ran fine late 2013. Havnt run it enough to trust it though.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top