Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/12/2014 11:55:09 PM EDT
Planning on painting some worn used mags? , what is a good choice for the dark grey flat color of the original? ?  I  thought grey primer might work but most doesn't seem dark enough. Any suggestions ? Thanks
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 12:27:59 AM EDT
[#1]
in the dark days of the AWB, there was an instructional video of how to refinish mags with Perma-Silk.  I'm sure you can search YouTube and it will give you the details.  Supposed to be just like original g.i. finish.. .perma-silk.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 6:45:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
in the dark days of the AWB, there was an instructional video of how to refinish mags with Perma-Silk.  I'm sure you can search YouTube and it will give you the details.  Supposed to be just like original g.i. finish.. .perma-silk.
View Quote

I believe the product is called Perma-Slik not "Perma-Silk."

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 9:04:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:05:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm old school;.  I like the look of Perma-Slik.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do any chain type stores carry this? I want to give it a shot but not if I need to pay a hazmat shipping fee.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Do any chain type stores carry this? I want to give it a shot but not if I need to pay a hazmat shipping fee.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was in Home Depot the other day and asked about it in the paint dept. The girl never heard of it and suggested trying Sherwin Williams.

I haven't checked them out yet.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 9:27:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Brownell's Alumahyde II Dark Parkerizing Gray. It has a slightly 'warmer' color than the mil-spec and I like it. This is an air-dry epoxy that takes several days to cure but can be sped-up by keeping in a very warm, dry place, like a shed in the summer, for a day or two. The refinished one is on the left.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:33:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, I did some research and found a really close match to the USGI grey park color. About as close as you can get. I used Rustoleum  dark gray primer, Menard's for $4.30 a can. Quick , easy and appears to be as durable as you'd expect from a spray can. Left is an original USGI on the right is a mag with two coats of the dark gray primer. Just thought I'd share.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:18:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Try your local Grainger store. they offer a dry film dark gray finish that can be baked on in the oven to make it more durable.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:05:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Primers are not durable at all, in fact they're very delicate. Looks good though.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:00:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Brownell's Alumahyde II Dark Parkerizing Gray. It has a slightly 'warmer' color than the mil-spec and I like it. This is an air-dry epoxy that takes several days to cure but can be sped-up by keeping in a very warm, dry place, like a shed in the summer, for a day or two. The refinished one is on the left.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb27/INLAND44/Guns/armags.jpg
View Quote
think I will grab a can next time I order from brownells

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:57:07 AM EDT
[#12]
What about BBQ spray paint?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Too thick. Great for heat, bad for wear.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 7:18:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Too thick. Great for heat, bad for wear.
View Quote

Can you explain the bad for wear part?  Just curious.

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top