Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/8/2014 12:09:14 AM EDT
I know this has had to have been asked before but i have nhmtg and pmags mostly. how long can i store the nhmtg aluminum mags without the feed lips spreading? same question for the pmags. thanks.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 1:37:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I know this has had to have been asked before but i have nhmtg and pmags mostly. how long can i store the nhmtg aluminum mags without the feed lips spreading? same question for the pmags. thanks.
View Quote

Should be able to for YEARS!
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:25:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quality aluminum (which definitely includes nhmtg) - good for decades; based on decades of personal experience leaving them stored loaded.

Pmags - can't say.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:47:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Hi,

Storing aluminum magazines loaded shouldn't be an issue.  I would download it from capacity by two rounds for reliability though.  

Mags made of Nylon like the P-Mag and Troy have swelled when loaded to capacity for me and others in hot humid conditions. I wouldn't worry about it in Arizona, but it could be an issue in Florida.  Typically the nylon mag swells enough that it will not eject fully loaded.  Police departments that this happened to switch to metal magazines D&H, Browne's, CPD Inc., etc.   Polycarbonate doesn't have this issue so Lancers would be ok.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:19:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I would place emphasis on a "QUALITY" aluminum mag. The issue I had in the past (7 years ago) was with a Bushmaster aluminum mag that came with a rifle I had purchased new from a gun shop. I honestly cant say how long it was left loaded but it wasnt more than a year, and the feed lips had separated on it to the point that I couldnt load it to 30 rounds and get it into the magazine well of the rifle. If I loaded it to 28 rounds it would load, but feeding was still an issue.

This was my first rifle... first gun actually, and I never thought to take pictures, but I stayed with pmags. I know they arent bomb proof either. After my experience I would either buy steel or polymer mags. Why not just load one and check it every few months to see if it has issues?
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 1:17:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would place emphasis on a "QUALITY" aluminum mag. The issue I had in the past (7 years ago) was with a Bushmaster aluminum mag that came with a rifle I had purchased new from a gun shop. I honestly cant say how long it was left loaded but it wasnt more than a year, and the feed lips had separated on it to the point that I couldnt load it to 30 rounds and get it into the magazine well of the rifle. If I loaded it to 28 rounds it would load, but feeding was still an issue.

This was my first rifle... first gun actually, and I never thought to take pictures, but I stayed with pmags. I know they arent bomb proof either. After my experience I would either buy steel or polymer mags. Why not just load one and check it every few months to see if it has issues?
View Quote

In numerous tests, steel mags don't hold up to torture tests.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top