BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/1/2014 3:05:53 PM EDT
I got some of these for free. Any good?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:32:02 PM EDT
[#1]
They look like unreliable POS, but I have no experience with them.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I have 6 and have used them for several years in classes, full auto and just plinking. Never had an issue. I like them.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:31:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

They're solid steel.  Why would you think they're unreliable?  Never had any trouble w/ mine - have 30's & a 20.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:37:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Ridiculously overpriced!

I was a Cammenga Distributor for years, they brought these out just after the company was sold.

They were designed by Matt Cammenga (no longer associated with the company & NOT by choice )

They are a pretty good design, but I'm not sure about the QA/QC anymore. They require use of high quality steel and proper heat treating.

Anymore I personally rely on ONLY Okay Industries & Colt Magazines (also manufactured by Okay Industries), I change the followers to Magpul Gen III, change the floorplate to Magpul Ranger L floorplates.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:33:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They're solid steel.  Why would you think they're unreliable?  Never had any trouble w/ mine - have 30's & a 20.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The way they are engineered to slide apart seems like a recipe for failure, but like I said, I've never messed with one.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:41:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Solid steel doesn't make anything reliable.  Not saying the Cammengas aren't reliable as I've never used them, but them being solid steel is hardly a reason to think they'd be reliable.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:54:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Given the failure mechanism of most magazines is deforming feed lips, and GI feed lips are aluminum, steel feed lips are likely an improvement.  Not necessarily, I grant, but likely.  I've never had any trouble w/ mine, but I've not run them hard.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:10:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Given the failure mechanism of most magazines is deforming feed lips, and GI feed lips are aluminum, steel feed lips are likely an improvement.  Not necessarily, I grant, but likely.  I've never had any trouble w/ mine, but I've not run them hard.
View Quote

87GN did quite a few destructive tests on various magazines including the Easymag.

His conclusions were that the aluminum magazines were MORE dent resistant than steel mags.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 11:32:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replies. I think  I'll stick with the colt and HK mags at least until I have a chance to test the cammengas.. I failed to mention these are for duty use.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies. I think  I'll stick with the colt and HK mags at least until I have a chance to test the cammengas.. I failed to mention these are for duty use.
View Quote

I have 4 and I use them for range mags and I have never had an issue with them. They are GTG in my book.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

PLEASE, do not use HK magazines for Duty use!!!!

Pat Rogers reported YEARS AGO that they had weak springs and improper heat treating on the feed lips resulting in double feeds. Later the U.S. Military  pulled them due to the same issues.

I run for Duty mags either Okay Industries or Colt (manufactured by Okay Industries)

I install the Magpul Gen III anti-tilt follower and the Magpul Ranger L floorplate.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:29:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a couple from way back and there more of a novelty/unique design and they sit in the gun room,while I use USGI/D&H/Pmags..

but they have been reliable and I dont remember ever having any issues with them,if you already have them I would keep them and use them.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 11:41:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a couple from way back and there more of a novelty/unique design and they sit in the gun room,while I use USGI/D&H/Pmags..
but they have been reliable and I dont remember ever having any issues with them,if you already have them I would keep them and use them.
View Quote

A buddy of mine bought one years ago and it seemed to function ok.  When he was loading it one time though, the sliding part closed and pinched his palm.  He wasn't happy about that...
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 2:24:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, you gotta keep your flesh outside of the moving parts, it can get you if you don't pay attention.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 2:32:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 7:26:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Pat Rogers reported YEARS AGO that they had weak springs and improper heat treating on the feed lips resulting in double feeds. Later the U.S. Military  pulled them due to the same issues.

I run for Duty mags either Okay Industries or Colt (manufactured by Okay Industries)

I install the Magpul Gen III anti-tilt follower and the Magpul Ranger L floorplate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the advice, I don't know Pat Rogers, but I have been using the HK mags for duty use here in the sandbox since 2005 and never had issues with them except the weight. In fact, I even have a couple with dents in them at home from when I was wounded in a RPG blast that I use at the range and they still work..... Just sayin"
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 8:38:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:  Thanks for the advice, I don't know Pat Rogers, but I have been using the HK mags for duty use here in the sandbox since 2005 and never had issues with them except the weight. In fact, I even have a couple with dents in them at home from when I was wounded in a RPG blast that I use at the range and they still work..... Just sayin"
View Quote

You have a RPG you use @ the range?
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 9:18:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thanks for the advice, I don't know Pat Rogers, but I have been using the HK mags for duty use here in the sandbox since 2005 and never had issues with them except the weight. In fact, I even have a couple with dents in them at home from when I was wounded in a RPG blast that I use at the range and they still work..... Just sayin"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pat Rogers is one the top if not THE Top combat rifle instructor in the country. He sees around One Million rounds go down range every year.

The issues with the HK Magazines are WELL documented.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 10:28:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 7:54:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen them used in combat in small numbers.  I thought on this forum that  if something was used in combat that meant it was GTG????  Or is that only for certain brands????
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 9:48:41 AM EDT
[#21]
They WERE the "go to" magazine for the Military until the issues with the weak springs and improper heat treating of the feed lips began showing up.

Then they were pulled from service.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:13:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Got one that was in my m4 for a deployment, Finish is going but worked great for many mag dumps and ever fed the saw a few times.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Not trying to start an argument, but the HK mags worked in everything I put them in- mil M4 and Mk18, various civilian clones, M249, HK416, and LWRC M6, in the desert, south American jungle, and various places stateside. Green tip, M193, mk 262, and PMC. Maybe I just got all of the good ones.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:02:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:  Not trying to start an argument, but the HK mags worked in everything I put them in- mil M4 and Mk18, various civilian clones, M249, HK416, and LWRC M6, in the desert, south American jungle, and various places stateside. Green tip, M193, mk 262, and PMC. Maybe I just got all of the good ones.
View Quote

Two folks are saying the M249 feeds from a certain magazine reliably, yet I've been repeatedly told the M249 won't reliably feed from a magazine.  What is the skinny on M249 & magazines?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Not trying to start an argument, but the HK mags worked in everything I put them in- mil M4 and Mk18, various civilian clones, M249, HK416, and LWRC M6, in the desert, south American jungle, and various places stateside. Green tip, M193, mk 262, and PMC. Maybe I just got all of the good ones.
View Quote

Use of a magazine by one person is statically NOTHING!

They do have MAJOR issues, they WERE supposed to be the answer, instead they turned out to be the problem.

I'll stick with the STANDARD, magazines manufactured by Okay Industries.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 4:02:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Two folks are saying the M249 feeds from a certain magazine reliably, yet I've been repeatedly told the M249 won't reliably feed from a magazine.  What is the skinny on M249 & magazines?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Not trying to start an argument, but the HK mags worked in everything I put them in- mil M4 and Mk18, various civilian clones, M249, HK416, and LWRC M6, in the desert, south American jungle, and various places stateside. Green tip, M193, mk 262, and PMC. Maybe I just got all of the good ones.

The mag feature on the M249 was always meant for emergency situations, like if you run  out of link ammo. Historically the reliability was reduced when doing this, and the weapon was awkward to carry with that mag sticking out of the side. The unit I was in had a habit of testing everything, as well as a stringent weapons maintenance/replacement program- way above operator level or what most batallion armorers would do in a regular unit, so we tended to have weapons in a high state of readiness. We found the 3 M249s we had when fed with the HK mags were very reliable. We shot them with both green tip and MK262. Later on we got a different but similar LMG that did not have the mag feature.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

They do have MAJOR issues, they WERE supposed to be the answer, instead they turned out to be the problem.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do what you think you have to do. BTW, I'm not the only one who used (and still uses these) as outlined in my previous post. I've been using the 3 or 4 I have right now in the sandbox along with a few others scattered through my team and they work fine. I was just wondering what the deal was with the camengas since I didn't know.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:36:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Most annoying magazine I own. Heavy, absurdly complicated and did I say annoying to use!?

That being said I have never had a malfunction with mine. I like to call it a hipster magazine. Different just to be different.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Look cheap
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top