Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/20/2014 8:09:15 PM EDT
Is c products it?
Eta: are there any cheap steel mags out there? I want to make my own frankenmag. Can someone with a USA frankenmag tell me if it used ar or ak spring and follower?
I'mlikeing this
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/653431_AK_Mag_in_M_16__Vietnam_SF_photo.html
Would it work with a steel 223 mag?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:32:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately, you're limited to C-Product, ASC, and Midway/Stoner (made by ASC, I believe)

The old USA (brand) frankenmags were supposed to work well.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:36:05 AM EDT
[#2]
http://www.ammosc.com/7-62-x-39/

This is the current new production stuff. There are some old ones that pop up from time to time, but for now ASC is it.
Nothing to complain about other than the lack of variety, but these do work just fine.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 3:58:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Hi,

I shoot an Armalite 7.62x39 AR-15 carbine and have shot the most recent CPD Inc., and the 30 round ASC magazines.  My experience with ASC was mixed, out of five 30 round magazines three worked fine, and two would give me stove pipes and failures to feed traceable to the magazine.  The ASC magaazines look to be hand welded and the two mazines that I had problems with consistent upper lip and magazine width.  Also, if you clean your ASC mag be careful, I used carb cleaner to clean the inside of one and the mar-lube coating dissolved!  I later found CLP also had an effect on the finish.

The CPD Inc. mags seem to be more consisitent, being made on a CNC robot.  I have shot CPD Inc. 7.62 X 39 AR-15 mags in  10,15, 20, 28, 30, and 35 round capacities without a jam.  The isonite metal treatment used on the stanless steel makes these mags very tough and self lubricating to a certain extent.  The metal treatment is a variant to that used on the Glock pistols.  I had the chance to talk to CPD Inc's CEO Adel Jamil at the NRA convention and he seems to really care about what he produces.

The ASC 30 rd mags are still around for range work and practice, but the CPD Inc ones are my primary mags.  I sent a testimonoal to CPD Inc. and they asked me to be a beta tester.  Based on my testing (over 500 rounds) the upcoming 7.62 X39 20 round CPD Inc. mags will change peoples perception of this caliber as they are really compact about the size of a 5.56MM Gen 3 Magpul P-Mag.  I hope the information helps out.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 2:33:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Sad. I really want a 7.62 AR but mags suck.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I have ASC, AR stoner, Frankenmags, and C Products so far the C products have been the best followed by the ASC.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:08:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Update in op.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:08:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is c products it?
Eta: are there any cheap steel maThat being said you would have to useut there? I want to make my own frankenmag. Can someone with a USA frankenmag tell me if it used ar or aeights tiger weldern and follower?
I'mlikeing this
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/653431_AK_Mag_in_M_16__Vietnam_SF_photo.html
Would it work with a steel 223 mag?
View Quote

Hi,

It would be doable using a 10 round ASC or CPD Inc. body welded to a 30 round AK mag body.  That being said you said you would have to use an AK spring and a adapted AR follower.  It's a nice hobby project, but would take some welding skills with a tig welder to pull it off.

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top