Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/13/2014 1:43:37 AM EDT
I have been stocking on aluminum magazines lately (I really like them) I just ordered some Brownell 20 round aluminum mags. Are these good mags? Do they use standard usgi springs and followers?
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 2:17:30 PM EDT
[#1]
The Brownell's 20rd magazines are great.  They have normal, older-style short USGI black-plastic followers and they do not and will never need an "anti-tilt" follower.  The straight (non-curved) magazine body needs a small amount of "tilt" to the front to load and feed reliably.  They work well, plain and simple.  

The commercial Brownell's 30rd mags have (usually) Magpul followers and USGI-style springs.  While I do not have any real experience with their 30rd mags, I'm sure they work just fine.  Brownell's makes a quality magazine.  I simply prefer their 20rd magazines.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:08:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks a lot I hear they are good.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 7:19:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The Brownell's 20rd magazines are great.  They have normal, older-style short USGI black-plastic followers and they do not and will never need an "anti-tilt" follower.  The straight (non-curved) magazine body needs a small amount of "tilt" to the front to load and feed reliably.  They work well, plain and simple.  

The commercial Brownell's 30rd mags have (usually) Magpul followers and USGI-style springs.  While I do not have any real experience with their 30rd mags, I'm sure they work just fine.  Brownell's makes a quality magazine.  I simply prefer their 20rd magazines.  Good luck.
View Quote

I have several of their 30 round mags and they have become the USGI mags I prefer.

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 9:24:37 PM EDT
[#4]
The Brownells 30 rounders I own are solid
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:23:33 PM EDT
[#5]
The Brownells are a good 30 round option, but my LGS has them at nearly twice that of a PMAG 2. Yikes !!
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:22:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Ya screw (most) local gun shops. Way over priced for the most part.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 2:50:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Brownell's 20 & 30 round mags are GTG.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Whats better you think, D&H or Brownells?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:44:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Someone correct me if im wrong, but the d&h mags dont use the gi spec dry lube. At least the ones everyone seems to be selling. Id prefer the brownells for that reason. May or may not matter, but i would. I have a bunch of the brownells mags in 20 and 30 and they are gtg.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:57:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I got some D&H mags in a trade and they are OK but I like the Brownell's better.  It is hard to beat the Brownell's mag if you qualify for their discount.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Someone correct me if im wrong, but the d&h mags dont use the gi spec dry lube. At least the ones everyone seems to be selling. Id prefer the brownells for that reason. May or may not matter, but i would. I have a bunch of the brownells mags in 20 and 30 and they are gtg.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The D&H mags I got recently have a dark black Teflon finish. I like it. They don't show wear as much as the dry lubed mags and they match the black rifle very well. Given the choice between the D&H and Brownells mags, if they were the same price, I'd probably go with Brownells. They load much easier with stripper clips. D&H mags don't play well with a MagLULA loader. If you try to go fast the tips of the bullet will contact the top front of the mag and jam up. Considering D&H mags are roughly half the price of a Brownell mag though, I own more of the D&H.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:00:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok just got my brownells mags and they are the best I have seen so far as aluminum mags go. I have NHMTG mags but the brownells seem to be just as good. I will rank NHMTG (only because I have used these the most) number 1 then the brownells 2 then the d&h 3.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:16:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have been stocking on aluminum magazines lately (I really like them) I just ordered some Brownell 20 round aluminum mags. Are these good mags? Do they use standard usgi springs and followers?
View Quote

A 20 rounder is in my HD gun.  Rock solid.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:38:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Gonna go out and test out the new Brownells mags tomarrow. Will run them as hard as I can when practicing my drills.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Well just got back. Ran em HARD. Even stepped on one. Ran drills all day, about 900 rounds of ammo between the 2 new 20's I just got and 2 D&H mags. They all ran flawlessly. Oh ya and I was using my new BCM Mid Length 14.5 w/SUREFIRE MB556K break. I gotta say I am impressed with BCM. I think I may like it AS much as my colt....maybe a little more.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 1:36:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I have been using the Brownells 20 rounders for years and had no issues with them. When I was active duty the unit would get them for us for the MK12 rifles back when we still had them. That being said, I like the 20 rd pmags better due to the lighter weight.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:43:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Have several 30s fantastic mags. I replaced the followers with magpuls when they start having issues
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Issues, really. What kind of issues? Like binding or something. What I like about the spot welds on the Brownell's mags is that they are consistent and smooth (unlike some d&h mags I have).
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:25:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Brownells is a military supplier
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:56:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top