Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2014 3:51:04 PM EDT
We have heard over and over that metal mags have withstood the test of time. But frankly, there are so many mag companies out there and some metal mags aren't worth a crap. But, in the short term pmags seem to be very solid.

My point, pmags have not had that "opportunity" of time. Polymers are a relatively new invention and yet continue to get better. I know that USGI mags will supposedly last to your grandchildren. I have the sneaking suspicion that polymer mags will last just as long if given the opportunity.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 5:13:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I think your sneaky suspicion is correct.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#2]
You are probably correct. Love my pmags,but I know for a FACT my GI aluminum mags will last over 50 years. I have mostly pmags,but  it makes sense to me to have a small stash of USGI aluminum mags just in case.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 3:53:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I have 50/50% aluminum/Pmags.  The sales now on aluminum mags make it hard to keep that ratio.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 4:00:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Magazines are consumable items.  

Both types of mags will outlast you sitting on a shelf.  If you shoot a lot, both mags perform well and both can fail.
- USGI/Metal mags when dropped or damaged will dent or deform
- Polymer mags when dropped or damaged are more elastic but can crack

With prices where they are, there is no reason not to have some of everything (USGI, Lancer, PMAGs)

If you are scared of polymer, don't forget to replace your pistol grip and stock with aluminum as well.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 5:01:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have 50/50% aluminum/Pmags.  The sales now on aluminum mags make it hard to keep that ratio.
View Quote

Where are these sales on USGI mags? Other than all the used ones I see in the EE it seems pmags are cheaper right now.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:42:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Where are these sales on USGI mags? Other than all the used ones I see in the EE it seems pmags are cheaper right now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Palmetto State Armory has D&H mags for $6.99 each.  Be patient on receiving your shipment.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:49:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I have about two dozen military issue magazines that came out of Vietnam ...... still good, so yeah they have proven themselves over time.

Some of them are even marked with names and ranks of the guys who carried them.

I bought them at a Military Vehicle Rally some time ago with a bunch of other VN era memorabilia.

Of course here in Maryland it is now illegal to buy or sell any mag over 10 round capacity, this is another reason I like the old ones.

There is no debating their legality because of their age.

For now we can own them, we just cannot buy them or sell them in the state, nor can we import them into Maryland from another state.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:51:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you are scared of polymer, don't forget to replace your pistol grip and stock with aluminum as well.  
View Quote

A weapon with a cracked stock, or pistol grip can still function......with a cracked/broken magazine, it is doubtful.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 11:32:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm not sure the PSA are USGI....then again, most disagree with what is USGI.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 8:22:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm not sure the PSA are USGI....then again, most disagree with what is USGI.
View Quote

I have the D&H from PSA and they do have the Cage Code stamped on the side.  I love em' - never had a problem so I'm really stocking up on them now with the price drop.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

The polymer in the A2 furniture is stronger than magpul's polymer and unlike magpul it IS time tested!
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 5:15:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I guess I should throw away my Glock...  
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 6:03:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Something you might have to really do in the future....

We know how long a steel 1911 will last...we have no idea

if polymer will last 50 or more years...TIME WILL TELL ALL.

John
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 6:28:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I own both polymer and metal, and am happy with both; if I spend $7.99 on a mag, and it lasts 20 years, why the hell would I complain ?
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 7:28:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The polymer in the A2 furniture is stronger than magpul's polymer and unlike magpul it IS time tested!
View Quote

And you base this on...?

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 11:11:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pistol grips and stocks are a lot thicker and under lees stress than magazine feedlips.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 2:57:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

John
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

John

Well, Glock debuted in 1982, so it's a lot closer then you think it is.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 9:44:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

John

True...and a lot of older Glocks frames that are in Police use are becoming brittle and chipping and cracking near the magazine magwell...
These are guns that have really been exposed to the weather...cold....heat....sun.....holster use.....So yes....Time will tell all.

John
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 10:06:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

And you base this on...?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you base this on...?

Ever seen a piece of A2 furniture break (that was made with the real mil grade fiberglass impregnated nylon, not a cheap aftermarket polymer) ?

I have seen and heard of quite a few accounts of broken MOE furniture, and those consist of a much smaller sample size than all the mil grade A2 stuff out there.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 2:22:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Ever seen a piece of A2 furniture break (that was made with the real mil grade fiberglass impregnated nylon, not a cheap aftermarket polymer) ?

I have seen and heard of quite a few accounts of broken MOE furniture, and those consist of a much smaller sample size than all the mil grade A2 stuff out there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you base this on...?

Link Posted: 7/8/2014 6:25:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

True...and a lot of older Glocks frames that are in Police use are becoming brittle and chipping and cracking near the magazine magwell...
These are guns that have really been exposed to the weather...cold....heat....sun.....holster use.....So yes....Time will tell all.

John
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

John

John

Yup, those edges catch a lot on car doors (I know first hand, look at the side of a cruiser sometime). I've seen many alloy frame gun that have serrated magwells too. .. .
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 2:10:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

lulz

So what you're saying is you have no basis for your "facts" that Pmags are somehow less sturdy than an A2 stock.

Makes sense...
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 6:46:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

lulz

So what you're saying is you have no basis for your "facts" that Pmags are somehow less sturdy than an A2 stock.

Makes sense...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lulz

Makes sense...

Accounts of breakage are not relevant to you?

Still waiting to hear / see accounts of an authentic A2 furniture breakage.  Can find plenty of broken MOE accounts.

Just a quick search pulls up plenty of accounts.

Broken

Broke

Broken again!

I could post many more accounts.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 7:09:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Still waiting to hear / see accounts of an authentic A2 furniture breakage.  Can find plenty of broken MOE accounts.

Broken

Broke

Broken again!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lulz

Makes sense...

Broken

Broke

Broken again!

Oh, A2 furniture breaks. There's just not an A2 furniture manufacturer forum where people get on and bitch about it.

A2 stocks usually start to crack just behind the area where it mates with the lower receiver.

A2 handguards can break about anywhere usually from getting knocked around heavily.

I get it, you don't like Magpul furniture, it's not for everybody. About 1/2 my guns have A2 furniture, the other half Magpul but to speculate that Magpul furniture is less robust or weaker than A2 stuff is bit far fetched.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 7:25:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Oh, A2 furniture breaks. There's just not an A2 furniture manufacturer forum where people get on and bitch about it.

A2 stocks usually start to crack just behind the area where it mates with the lower receiver.

A2 handguards can break about anywhere usually from getting knocked around heavily.

I get it, you don't like Magpul furniture, it's not for everybody. About 1/2 my guns have A2 furniture, the other half Magpul but to speculate that Magpul furniture is less robust or weaker than A2 stuff is bit far fetched.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lulz

Makes sense...

Broken

Broke

Broken again!

Still waiting for accounts / pictures of broken A2 furniture.  Cracking is one thing, but that magpul polymer broke clean through!  Also, there is a lot of aftermarket "A2 style" furniture that is out there and molded from cheaper inferior polymers and not the true mil grade nylon impregnated resin.

Still waiting to see an account of the broken clean through authentic A2 furniture.  
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 8:33:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Still waiting for accounts / pictures of broken A2 furniture.  Cracking is one thing, but that magpul polymer broke clean through!  Also, there is a lot of aftermarket "A2 style" furniture that is out there and molded from cheaper inferior polymers and not the true mil grade nylon impregnated resin.

Still waiting to see an account of the broken clean through authentic A2 furniture.  
View Quote

Still waiting to completely understand how A2 furniture and MOE furniture somehow are relevant to the MAGAZINE thread here.

Unless you happen to know of a place that sells mags made of the same materials as A2 stocks...
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 8:42:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Plastic grips have been in use since WW2.  Plastic mags in front line rifles, since the mid 70's.   Never hear anyone bitching about them breaking.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 4:46:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Plastic grips have been in use since WW2.  Plastic mags in front line rifles, since the mid 70's.   Never hear anyone bitching about them breaking.
View Quote

Please be more specific.  What weapons used plastic grips in WW2?  Certainly nothing US. The 1911 used grip panels which doesn't provide anything but a grip surface.  The BAR went from a wood stock to bakalite sometime between WW2 and Korea.  What rifles use plasic mags??.  Styer AUG???
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 3:54:05 PM EDT
[#29]
I still have around a dozen old Thermold 30rd mags from the early nineties that work fine at the range. They are made of Zytel I think?

The PMag is a pretty big step forward over the Thermold in terms of materials and design - I suspect that they will last a very long time.

I'm not really an early adopter - I didn't start buying PMags until 2009. Looking back, I probably shouldn't have waited so long

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 4:04:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

How about broken A1 furniture?

I have no dog in this fight - the only MOE anything I own are a couple of short rails used to secure a Scout light and switch on a Sig carbine. That said, I have broken a set of Colt dual shield M4 HGs ... via melting

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 7:43:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have about two dozen military issue magazines that came out of Vietnam ...... still good, so yeah they have proven themselves over time.

Some of them are even marked with names and ranks of the guys who carried them.

I bought them at a Military Vehicle Rally some time ago with a bunch of other VN era memorabilia.

Of course here in Maryland it is now illegal to buy or sell any mag over 10 round capacity, this is another reason I like the old ones.

There is no debating their legality because of their age.

For now we can own them, we just cannot buy them or sell them in the state, nor can we import them into Maryland from another state.
View Quote

Yupp I agree I haven't used it since then but I have a 20 round magazine with an aluminum follower (Simmonds I think) and I trust it more than the 20 round promags with the green GI followers. It still will hold open the bolt and I've owned it since 2011 and I didn't buy it brand new it was already beat up and cost me only like 6 bucks.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#32]
I love the ergonomics and engineering of Magpul's stuff, but I wouldn't bet on any of it lasting long term, especially PMAGs.  I have personally had a MIAD grip shatter, an M93 stock buffer tube blow out, a 223 PMAG crack, and the inside of a 308 PMAG get pretty chewed up.  That's just my own personal experience.

I have friends that have had the mag catch slot on their PMAGs wallowed out from hard insertions and using the mag for support as well as cracking down the spine and getting chewed up inside enough to cause malfunctions.

I'm not saying they aren't worth the money. I just bought one yesterday.  I seriously don't expect them to last anywhere near as long as a metal mag though.

Before I get called a liar again:
" />

" />

" />
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 9:29:28 PM EDT
[#33]
...damn
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 11:31:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I love the ergonomics and engineering of Magpul's stuff, but I wouldn't bet on any of it lasting long term, especially PMAGs.  I have personally had a MIAD grip shatter, an M93 stock buffer tube blow out, a 223 PMAG crack, and the inside of a 308 PMAG get pretty chewed up.  That's just my own personal experience.

I have friends that have had the mag catch slot on their PMAGs wallowed out from hard insertions and using the mag for support as well as cracking down the spine and getting chewed up inside enough to cause malfunctions.

I'm not saying they aren't worth the money. I just bought one yesterday.  I seriously don't expect them to last anywhere near as long as a metal mag though.
View Quote

I can understand your personal experience, but I've also seen more aluminum mags that go bad with bent feed lips and dented bodies than I have broken P-mags.  Run an AL mag next to a P-mag through the same time frame and I would be willing to bet the aluminum becomes unservicable a lot quicker.  I would assume from some of the pictures you're running your stuff pretty hard.  Nobody claimed Magpul's stuff was unbreakable, but I know for a fact the MOE and CTR stocks (I can't speak about the F93) hold up better than an issue M4.  Broke one myself out in the field.

And this isn't a Magpul fanboi talking here since I have aluminum, Lancers, Magpul and Elanders and an H&K high reliability for some variety.  But it still comes down to the simple fact that a magazine is an expendable item that will wear out eventually.  So the more it gets used, the better chance it gets worn out.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:25:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Current issue aluminum mags such as brownells and others are made with heat treated bodies and are 10x stronger than the old aluminum USGI mag bodies that would deform to almost unserviceable condition after a full loaded drop onto a carpeted floor.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:34:32 PM EDT
[#36]
What I like about PMAGS is that they are either functional, or they are seriously broke.

You don't have the bent feed lip giving you a malfunction drill while you're trying to send rounds downrange.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:57:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Plastics/polymers have come a long way in the last few years. Environmentalists don't like plastics in landfills because even after 50 years, they won't decay under extreme conditions. Sure they might become brittle if left out in the weather 24/7 for 20 years but since they're not, my gut tells me they have a standard life of 50+ years.

I have 27 pmags, 2 thermold, and 0 metal......I do believe I need to diversify by adding a few metals...
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:53:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Current issue aluminum mags such as brownells and others are made with heat treated bodies and are 10x stronger than the old aluminum USGI mag bodies that would deform to almost unserviceable condition after a full loaded drop onto a carpeted floor.
View Quote

Proof of your 10X number.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 12:00:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:17:20 AM EDT
[#40]
There's still a fair amount of old Vietnam-era M16's still kicking around in the world with their original plastic furniture. And that plastic was nowhere as advanced as modern polymers.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:46:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
There are glock magazines that are approaching thirty years old. Maybe not a ton are still in use because they were the older style but the ones I have ( out of state now) still worked fine
View Quote

My 1993 Glock 19 (bought new) still rocks every range trip I do. Bone stock, never 1 malfunction, all original parts (same springs) including mags. That Glock probably has 10's of thousands of rounds through it with zero replacement parts.
Glock, IMHO, does the mags right (aka circle 10 style AK mags): polymer body for shape and rigidity with steel sleeve for wear points. The closest we have to that for AR's is the L5AWM's with steel feed lips.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:58:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I can understand your personal experience, but I've also seen more aluminum mags that go bad with bent feed lips and dented bodies than I have broken P-mags.  Run an AL mag next to a P-mag through the same time frame and I would be willing to bet the aluminum becomes unservicable a lot quicker.  I would assume from some of the pictures you're running your stuff pretty hard.  Nobody claimed Magpul's stuff was unbreakable, but I know for a fact the MOE and CTR stocks (I can't speak about the F93) hold up better than an issue M4.  Broke one myself out in the field.

And this isn't a Magpul fanboi talking here since I have aluminum, Lancers, Magpul and Elanders and an H&K high reliability for some variety.  But it still comes down to the simple fact that a magazine is an expendable item that will wear out eventually.  So the more it gets used, the better chance it gets worn out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd take that bet.
During 12 years in the Air Force I've seen a lot of Aluminum mags that have been in use almost daily for a long time for qualifying.  I've seen them without a hint of original finish left and I've seen them with a good portion of the floor plate ground away from being rested on a concrete floor.  Yes, occasionally you will get a bent feed lip with a GI type mag, but that can be fixed with a multi-plier if it can't be replaced.   Broken plastic is junk though.  I use PMAGs because they are cheap and reliable short term.  I set aside GI mags for the apocalypse.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 7:01:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'd take that bet.
During 12 years in the Air Force I've seen a lot of Aluminum mags that have been in use almost daily for a long time for qualifying.  I've seen them without a hint of original finish left and I've seen them with a good portion of the floor plate ground away from being rested on a concrete floor.  Yes, occasionally you will get a bent feed lip with a GI type mag, but that can be fixed with a multi-plier if it can't be replaced.   Broken plastic is junk though.  I use PMAGs because they are cheap and reliable short term.  I set aside GI mags for the apocalypse.
View Quote

And in 20 years in the USAF I saw daily issue mags for M16s and M4s that had feed lips and magazine bodies so spread out you could barely shove the magazine into the well in the rifles.  And yes, I saw the CATM mags that were beat up and still ran fine as well.

We can agree to disagree.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 9:51:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'd take that bet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd take that bet.

This!
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 7:37:16 PM EDT
[#45]
I like both. Pmags and aluminum. So I own both. We don't really know what's going to outlast because magpuls polymer hasn't been around anywhere near as long as alum mags. plus it would obviously depend on what that mag has been through throughout its life. So there's no sense in arguing about it, either buy what you trust or do what I do and buy both poly and alum.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top