Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2014 5:43:20 PM EDT
Would you trust your life to a D&H 30 round magazine? I have a couple and for now they are just range mags until I get a few hundred rounds through them before I trust them as defense magazines. How many rounds do you first put through a magazine before you use it as a defensive magazine.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 6:39:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes and my guess is long after the Pmags has deteriorated the D&H will still be functional.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes and my guess is long after the Pmags has deteriorated the D&H will still be functional.
View Quote

What about that plastic follower in the d&h?
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not that I agree with hotbiggun but the follower is pretty much a static part.  The feed lips and the spring are the parts that could go bad.  I'll leave it to you to figure out if those parts are more durable on one or the other.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok good because I just got a few. One of the mags had some pretty rough edges so I shot a few hundred rounds through it to smooth things out. Also I had to sand on the follower to get it to function, it was hanging up on the spot welds on the spine of the magazine and yes it came with a magpul follower.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 2:11:12 AM EDT
[#5]
D&H are great mags. Buy them cheap and stack them deep with a clear conscience. They are GTG
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I have some D&H 30 round magazines and they function fine and are GTG. I also have some NHMTG 20 and 30 round magazines and they are GTG as well.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 3:37:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I have never had a problem with D&H mags.  30 or 20 rounders.  All GTG in my book.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 6:13:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I put my D&H 30 mags through the test today. Ran 200 rounds through each mag without any problems. They will now be defense mags.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 6:14:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I also have NHMTG magazines and in my opinion they seem to be the best aluminum mags you can get. It just seems that the D&H mags are on the wide end of the spec in the feed lip area.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 3:10:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes I do trust D&H magazines when it counts.  I personally own and use quite a few D&H and even some of the older Labelle made magazines.  I personally do the following to test my AR mags:  I load (2) rounds, insert mag, hit bolt release and fire to ensure the bolt will be held back on the last round.  I then load 28 rounds and fire them off to ensure it cycles and holds the bolt open after the last round and that's good enough for me.  To each their own.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought a few from PSA and they seem to be holding well.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I would like to hear from someone that has 1000+ rounds through their D&H magazines that are still running strong. I just bought 4 more.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 8:53:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought some that psa is selling.. loaded them up and for some reason decided to unload them a few days later.. feedlips were sharp and scratched up the brass pretty good.. I tried a few old c products that were niw also and for whatever reason they were way smoother.ymmv
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Ya I hear ya about the sharp feed lips but run a few rounds through them and the lips dull right up. Or you can do what I did and load them to capacity and unload them about 10 times, that will make them a lot smoother. Also some disagree with this but I like to either spray rem oil on the spring and follower or use a small amount ewl on the follower and that loosens things right up.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 2:22:23 PM EDT
[#15]
The majority of my 30 rd aluminum mags are D&H that I bought several at a time when I order parts from Bravo Company, DSG Arms, LaRue Tactical, CDNN Sports, etc, around over 50 mags total, about half are gray and half are black finish color.

I prefer D&H more durable and slippery Teflon finish rather than the usual dry lube mil-spec finish, which I still have my oldest Colt I bought in the late 1970s almost no finish remaining.

All my D&H mags I upgraded every one with Magpul gen 3 anti-tilt followers, these followers also have Teflon and combined with the Teflon finish of the mag body reduces friction so no lube are required (just my own opinion), on my most used mag I also upgraded them with Wolff extra power springs which I mainly use with my carbine gas system carbines, the carbine gas cycling is fast so the extra power spring could keep up with the faster bolt speed.

On some of my most used mags I also use Magpul Ranger plates with mag pull loops with mags that I use with my chest rig (6 to 12 mags carrier).

The minimum rounds that I test my mags before trusting them for defense use are from 90 to 100 rounds without FTF, but I feel better if I fired at least 300 rounds (10 full mag loads).

I don't have any D&H mags with high round count because I'm just using them as spare back up, but I've been using them since 2005, I'm mainly using polymer mags such as PMAG, Lancer Systems, and others.

FYI, D&H mags are also used by the Canadian army and Israeli Defense Forces according to past discussion threads here at ARFCOM.

I'll still keep on buying D&H when they're on sale as much as I could afford, I would recommend everyone to stack them deep now because you never know when high capacity mags are going to be banned again in the future.

Link Posted: 6/25/2014 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Well thank you for taking the time to write a response like that I really appreciate it. Ya I am liking the d&h mags more and more. I am just curious why they dont spec their feed lips like the other usgi mags. They are still in spec but just on the wide end of the specs. I have some more coming should be here day after my birthday which is friday so i'm stoked.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 10:00:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I told my friend who only has a couple of mags(literally) about these mags and talked him into buying a 10 pack. He got them today and I stopped by to give him a couple of Magpul followers. I was very impressed with the D&H mags. The finish on the outside is much nicer than the GI mags I'm used to and they look great in the rifle. The green followers that came with them jammed every single time I pressed them down with my finger though. I guess that's pretty standard with those followers and the reason why the Magpul versions are so popular. I swapped out one of the followers for a Magpul and it fit and worked great.

These mags are a SMOKING deal at only $6 and some change. I've been using Brownells mags exclusively as far as GI mags go but don't think I'll be buying them any more. I much prefer the look and price of the D&H/Sabre Defense mags.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 10:33:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Ya I agree but looking a little deeper into it, its not always the follower. The spot welds on the rear spine of the mag are really deep (which is probably a good thing) and sometimes the follower gets hung up on them so a little 1500 grit sand paper to the front and rear of the follower will fix it right up.

Do you think D&H mags are better than NHMTG mags (which I believe are Colt mags)?
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 12:55:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes, D&H is GTG.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:39:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Yes, I would trust these. I was first introduced to them when I got my first gun. Never looked back, no need, they function great. I only have these and Brownells.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 11:39:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Absolutely!
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I would like to hear from someone that has 1000+ rounds through their D&H magazines that are still running strong. I just bought 4 more.
View Quote

I've got some that are a few years old and have seen 1000+, no issues
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top