Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/7/2014 4:49:50 PM EDT
I live in the state of Virginia.  I caught one of MrGunsNGear's videos and he had some painted magazines with bomber girls.  My girlfriend is an artist and I know she could produce something with good results.  I am nearly certain it is legal to do, but I wanted to bounce it off some more experienced ARGCOM folk.  

The magazines in question would be 30 round GI magazines.  The D&H and C-Products magazines specifically.

Also, if the results are really good and she gets some interest from people, would it be legal to paint them and resell them?

Thanks for your time everyone.

04/24/2014:
It is definitely legal to paint and sell the magazines (to places that can have them).  This thread will now serve to capture the process we have gone through to get the magazine prepped, painted and sealed/protected.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 4:51:23 PM EDT
[#1]
in for pics and possible buy in
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 4:54:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes legal. Yes legal to sell.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#3]
In VA yes. the issue is shipping them to states that have capacity issues/limits.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 5:08:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes... put up a sample... I want to buy!
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 5:15:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for the information.  I feel very much reassured.

Our first priority this weekend is to get out to the range, but I think she might give it a try and see how it turns out.  I will certainly post pictures.  

The goal would be to make sure the magazine remains functional and won't chip paint.  The art is nice but I want them to be functional.

I won't discuss anything about selling them further because of this sub-forum's rules.  Be assured, if they come out really good and she gets a good response we will see about putting them on the EE.

Again, thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 5:30:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In VA yes. the issue is shipping them to states that have capacity issues/limits.
View Quote

ive always wondered...if this is illegal.  How do you break state law if you aren't in said state?
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 8:54:49 PM EDT
[#7]
You can paint them any color you want. I recommend pink polka dots and Betty Boop.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:39:55 AM EDT
[#8]
you mentioned the word "girlfriend"..... per ARFCOM zeitgeist you are now required to post a picture of said girlfriend. I can't believe you've gotten ~6 responses and nobody has pointed this out yet....
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:32:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd be in for a few Malibu Barbie mags. Maybe a couple 20 round Ken mags as well.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:06:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Haha!  Well, we went over what we needed to get the hand painting done right on the test magazine.  She has the paint we both think will be best, we just need to make sure we remove the coating on the magazine so that the paint takes and find an appropriate varnish to finish it and make it water resistant.  

I will surely post pictures of of her working on it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:46:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Are you sure it was paint, and not a vinyl wrap?

30-RD AR-15 Mag Wraps™

Mag Wraps™ Hot Shots 2013
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 11:10:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Ha, might of been mag wraps...those look like what it could have been... I can't remember which video it was that I watched.  

Either way, it isn't particularly important what he had on his magazines, it did inspire us to try to paint one.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 2:31:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
you mentioned the word "girlfriend"..... per ARFCOM zeitgeist you are now required to post a picture of said girlfriend. I can't believe you've gotten ~6 responses and nobody has pointed this out yet....
View Quote

This is a tech forum, not GD so that doesn't apply.

OP, I would like to see some of the mags after they are done.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 2:41:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Totally agree with both of your statements.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:46:48 AM EDT
[#15]
In for pics, and possible buy in.  Would love a set of Miss Behavin or Bomb rider girl mags for my Ares.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:54:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes. We need pics of product.

Put her to work.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:19:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Well...  ran into some issues.

The D&H magazine TEFLON coating is a huge pain in the ass to get off.  I tried sand paper, then grill brush, then brass bristle brush attached to drill then steel wool... I got some of it off... but man....

Does anyone have an ideas on how to get it off easier?

Here are some pictures...

Just some practice....

Seeing how the transfer paper would put the image on a dark background.  White transfer paper wasn't working at all...
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Why don't you try a magazine without the coating? ( I don't know if they make such a thing)

Why does it have to come off?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:45:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Why don't you try a magazine without the coating? ( I don't know if they make such a thing)

View Quote

I know this was not addressed to me, but I would bet dollars to donuts that paint will not stick well to teflon. Hell it might not stick at all.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:36:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I know this was not addressed to me, but I would bet dollars to donuts that paint will not stick well to teflon. Hell it might not stick at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You very well could be right. I have absolutely no idea. I see people spray painting magazines all the time. What about spraying a coating of something over it then doing your detailed work? Who knows.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Right, there is no chance the paint will adhere well with the Teflon on the magazine.

So, I have D&H and C-Products magazines.  They both have a similar coating.  I think the best bet will be to do a PMAG.  I really wanted it to be a GI mag, that just seemed a better fit for a bomber-style pin up girl.  

Seriously, I had no idea the quality of the finish on these GI mags, they are tough.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Right, there is no chance the paint will adhere well with the Teflon on the magazine.

So, I have D&H and C-Products magazines.  They both have a similar coating.  I think the best bet will be to do a PMAG.  I really wanted it to be a GI mag, that just seemed a better fit for a bomber-style pin up girl.  

Seriously, I had no idea the quality of the finish on these GI mags, they are tough.
View Quote

I would be glad to donate to you and your Misses a brownells 30 round metal mag that I don't think has a teflon finish. It is new in the wrapper and you should not have to do anything except wipe it down with some brake cleaner or something to remove any oil from finger prints. Should work well for your bomber style pin up girl.

Feel free to IM me.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:53:35 PM EDT
[#23]
mags with the dry film coat. I have several I painted after sanding them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:17:13 AM EDT
[#24]
@riggins a very generous offer.  I would rather purchase one myself than bother you with sending anything.  I took a look a Brownells and I only see magazines that have the 'dry film' coating.  

@AlaskaCharles do you know what grit you used?  Or any other information about how you got it off?  Did you sand by hand?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:23:51 AM EDT
[#25]
I am wondering if aluminum would be a better bet than stainless steel...

midway aluminum magazine
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:34:10 AM EDT
[#26]
I airbrushed one of mine a few years back. If i can find a picture i'll throw it up for you. What i did was just sandblast it to rough up the surface, then sprayed it with krylon outdoor metal primer, then airbrushed over that.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:46:08 PM EDT
[#27]
I used 22 grit and green scotch brite pads. Wiped they off with a dry cloth.
I used Krylon Satin paint.

They were old C products alum mags with the dry coat. I used them as practice. This summer I plan on trying it on some NHMTG mags.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:43:06 AM EDT
[#28]
I would also suggest sandblasting the finish off.

OP, if you need some sandblasted mags to work with, I'll be more than happy to do that and send some your way to see how this project turns out.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:46:44 AM EDT
[#29]
another +1 on sandblasting

paint then clear coat - should hold up...

artwork looks very nice! interested in seeing one finished
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:26:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Are you sure it was paint, and not a vinyl wrap?

30-RD AR-15 Mag Wraps™

Mag Wraps™ Hot Shots 2013
View Quote

Those are sweet!  Going to have to get some American Flag wraps.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:57:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Uhhh try paint stripper.  Works wonders.

Quoted:
Well...  ran into some issues.

The D&H magazine TEFLON coating is a huge pain in the ass to get off.  I tried sand paper, then grill brush, then brass bristle brush attached to drill then steel wool... I got some of it off... but man....

Does anyone have an ideas on how to get it off easier?

Here are some pictures...

Just some practice....
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-1eOQ8gvqDhE/U0mbpoZzVQI/AAAAAAAACiU/eka_m6qOy5A/w690-h518-no/IMG_20140412_160123.jpg

Seeing how the transfer paper would put the image on a dark background.  White transfer paper wasn't working at all...
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-yFheKa8KiJQ/U0mcnw-LBfI/AAAAAAAACiw/PeX6MF6X--c/w414-h552-no/IMG_20140412_160544.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:52:20 AM EDT
[#32]
I tried brake parts cleaner then brake cleaner and a steel wool pad... both were a no go.  I am going to try a the suggested grit sand paper then start looking into other options.  Between the brass bristle brush, grill brush, steel wool, sand paper... I am guessing the finish will take the light coating of primer and be good.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:14:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Okay, picked up some Rust-Oleum self etching primer, crystal clear protective enamel and painters tape.

We both work very long days today and we are cleaning the rifles from the range this weekend... so I suspect we will only tape the magazine off and do an initial spray with the primer until this weekend.

I will try to post pictures tomorrow of the magazine and how far I actually got stripping the Teflon off (not very far).  Also will document the steps of taping it off and getting the primer on it.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:03:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Alright we got to prepping the magazine last night.  

Here is what it looked like before, with all the scuff marks from the brass brush on a drill, grill brush, steel wool, brake parts cleaner and sand paper.  Seriously, that is the best I could get.

Here is what it looked like after I painted it:

After it dried and removing the painters tape.

So last night we cleaned it up with the brake cleaner one more time, then taped it off and took it out to spray.  We sprayed the whole side of it because it will give her more freedom to paint whatever she feels like and then we can remove the primer where needed.  

Hopefully... finally... some progress can be made on actually painting it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:03:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Would love to see them after the air brushing.  I could see on in my ar mag pouch at 3 gun matches!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:24:15 PM EDT
[#36]
They actually won't be airbrushed, they will be hand painted with a physical brush.  

There are a lot of questions to be answered still.  Will the primer and paint hold up on top of the leftover Teflon finish?  How thick will the paint be once she is done?  Will the protective enamel make the paint waterproof?  Will the painted side of the magazine have a reasonable resistance to being loaded and unloaded from the mag-well?  Will the bomber girl look good even with the vertical gaps in the magazine?  Will the paint chip off and potentially get into the bolt, carrier or chamber?  Is the process of prepping a magazine, painting and sealing going to result in it costing too much in time, labor and materials to sell?  

Lots of questions.

Entering into this I thought we would have had at least two painted by now and we just got to putting primer on a single one last night. haha.  

Either way, the ball is in her court now and I am not going to rush her to finish anything.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#37]

I really like this idea.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:17:46 AM EDT
[#38]
No expert but don't they make an airplane paint stripper thats supposed to be pretty hardcore? Would something like that strip the teflon coating down? Like I said I might be mixing two things up in my head but I recal my FIL having some paint stripper (maybe parts stripper?) for airplanes that was just short of acid.  Still in for the finished product too
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:44:33 AM EDT
[#39]
so you are up to 15 dollars of labor & supply cost so far...

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:44:54 AM EDT
[#40]
So really not much physical money is involved.  Also that primer and enamel clear coat will probably cover a few dozen magazines at least.  

Most time is her drawing the images by hand on the transfer paper, getting it onto the magazine so that she has a visible outline to work with, mixing paint colors, painting.  So the cost in time really isn't in preparing the magazine... but I expected the magazine finish to just come off.  When the brass brush attached to a drill wasn't taking it off I was really surprised.  We both work over 50 hours a week at our jobs so when something small goes wrong in our side project like 'sand paper didn't do shit to get the Teflon off' that is a bummer and it just pushes it out a bit.  

What would be ideal is that between the brass brush, sand paper, brake cleaner, steel wool and grill brush... the finish got enough grooves in it to allow everything to adhere.  Also, the primer is self etching (which might help).  I like the sand blasting idea but I currently have no other practical purpose to invest in that... I do very much appreciate the offers to send a sandblasted magazine, but I don't like to take anything from anyone.  If this magazine comes out looking really good and turns out to be viable to sell...I think it would make sense to buy the magazines and then pay someone to sandblast or invest in a sandblaster ourselves.  

Really we are over the hump of making the magazine workable.  With the primer on there she has a good medium to begin painting.  This magazine doesn't necessarily have to be bulletproof in regard to durability of the paint finish.  It will be a proof of concept that will test how long it will take her to paint it and if it will look good.  Really I just want it to look good... because that means I will definitely get a couple. haha
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:13:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Tag for interest
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I live in the state of Virginia.  I caught one of MrGunsNGear's videos and he had some painted magazines with bomber girls.  My girlfriend is an artist and I know she could produce something with good results.  I am nearly certain it is legal to do, but I wanted to bounce it off some more experienced ARGCOM folk.  

The magazines in question would be 30 round GI magazines.  The D&H and C-Products magazines specifically.

Also, if the results are really good and she gets some interest from people, would it be legal to paint them and resell them?

04/24/2014:
It is definitely legal to paint and sell the magazines (to places that can have them).  This thread will now serve to capture the process we have gone through to get the magazine prepped, painted and sealed/protected.
View Quote

Sorry I'm late to the game but the mags in question aren't actually painted; they're from A Breon Custom

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:55:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Sorry I'm late to the game but the mags in question aren't actually painted; they're from A Breon Custom

http://youtu.be/Bneyu6EBmZc
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

04/24/2014:

http://youtu.be/Bneyu6EBmZc

Any idea if his heat infusion method can be recreated at home?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#44]
looking forward to seeing the finish product
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:08:54 PM EDT
[#45]
MrGunsNGear, thanks for posting the video.  Also, thanks for the unintentional inspiration.  Like it has been so far things are going slow.  We had a bachelor & bachelorette party to do this weekend...but we did find time to swap out our front sights and loctite her hand guard screws... oh and get a basic outline for the magazine...

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:58:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
No expert but don't they make an airplane paint stripper thats supposed to be pretty hardcore? Would something like that strip the teflon coating down? Like I said I might be mixing two things up in my head but I recal my FIL having some paint stripper (maybe parts stripper?) for airplanes that was just short of acid.  Still in for the finished product too
View Quote

That stuff will strip damn near anything it touches...
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:08:02 PM EDT
[#47]
That's going to be badass
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 10:40:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Looks good so far!!

But if you are looking to do a batch, getting the mags media blasted is the only real way to ensure the paint will adhere long term.

And with artwork like that, you would probably want to finish with a clear...
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top