Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2014 12:26:34 PM EDT
In the market for new polymer mags. Thinking Magpul Pmags and Lancers and the best 2. (1) Are there any others to consider? (2) Are there any cheaper brands to consider and is it worth saving $2? (3) Where can I buy the Pmag or Lancer cheapest online and what can I expect to pay? (4) Is it worth paying extra for Gen 3 Pmags (vs Gen 2) and is it worth paying more for the window versions?
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 12:30:12 PM EDT
[#1]
PMags. Gen2. No window. Go to EE and look for ExileMachine.  Less than $10 each, no limits.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 1:09:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
PMags. Gen2. No window. Go to EE and look for ExileMachine.  Less than $10 each, no limits.
View Quote

+1 for exile
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 1:35:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
In the market for new polymer mags. Thinking Magpul Pmags and Lancers and the best 2. (1) Are there any others to consider? (2) Are there any cheaper brands to consider and is it worth saving $2? (3) Where can I buy the Pmag or Lancer cheapest online and what can I expect to pay? (4) Is it worth paying extra for Gen 3 Pmags (vs Gen 2) and is it worth paying more for the window versions?
View Quote

Only you can answer whether "is it worth paying more....?"
If money was no object I would own 100 translucent Lancer's.

You don't tell us your budget, so your question just becomes a popularity contest. If all you got is $100 and you need ten mags......you can't afford Lancers.

If you want the best get Lancer's.
If you want good, but cheaper get PMags.

After I started using Lancer's I sold all my Pmags.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You don't tell us your budget, so your question just becomes a popularity contest. If all you got is $100 and you need ten mags......you can't afford Lancers.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is better about Lancers? And as for budget, Lancer is only $3 more than the Pmag....so its irrelevant.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What is better about Lancers?.....
View Quote

There's already a few threads detailing Lancers vs Pmag vs others. Here's one:http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_17/581741_The_Unscientific_Plastic_Magazine_Test___Videos_pg15___Part_2_pg16___mobile_users_56k_do_not_click_.html&page=1
For me:
-Overall durability
-Completely translucent, no tiny "window" like Pmag.
-The feed multiple calibers more reliably than Pmag
-Steel feed lips are better than Pmag plastic
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 3:10:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There's already a few threads detailing Lancers vs Pmag vs others. Here's one:http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_17/581741_The_Unscientific_Plastic_Magazine_Test___Videos_pg15___Part_2_pg16___mobile_users_56k_do_not_click_.html&page=1
For me:
-Overall durability
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For me:
-Overall durability

I noticed the Lancers come in translucent and solid. Also read that the solid colors are made of harder/better polymer. Is that true? Is the clear plastic thinner and, therefore, not as sturdy?
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 3:50:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I noticed the Lancers come in translucent and solid. Also read that the solid colors are made of harder/better polymer. Is that true? Is the clear plastic thinner and, therefore, not as sturdy?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For me:
-Overall durability

I've never even heard of anyone breaking a transparent Lancer mag body, even when trying. Magpul states it as the reason they don't offer transparent, but you can find lots of examples of broken PMAG's in all colors and generations. That's not to say PMAG's aren't 100 times tougher than USGI, but Lancer, Steyr, and HK have all proven modern polymers can be tough and clear. Lexan and bonding resins also come to mind. The epoxy used on space shuttles, clear.

I think the design of the PMAG is what makes transparent polymer a no go, not the polymer itself. I have more PMAG's than AWM's, but I don't plan on any future mag purchases that aren't AWM's either. Both are great mags, but smoke AWM's are the cat's ass.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quantico Tactical has PMAG's about as cheap as you'll find. Gen 2, non-window are $50/5, any color, or $90/10, any color. Gen 2, windowed are $60/5, any color, or $110/10, any color. If you can find windowed PMAGs in any color other than black for cheaper than that, other than short run specials, I'd love to know about it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I see L5AVM (in solid colors) for $12.62 and the clear L5AWM for $15.34. Are they the same mags in diff colors (AVM vs AWM) ?
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 6:02:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I see L5AVM (in solid colors) for $12.62 and the clear L5AWM for $15.34. Are they the same mags in diff colors (AVM vs AWM) ?
View Quote

There is no "AVM"........"AWM" stands for Advanced Warfighter Magazine.

When you see "L5AVM" its piss poor editing of their product title.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 7:16:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Magpul=good to go for a polymer type mag.  Other than that I roll USGI type made by D&H.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:17:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So its a typo. That 's at Exilemachine.

https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/search/results.html?search_in_description=1&zenid=0rekpu72uepokl9rfolomubus7&keyword=lancer&x=15&y=11

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 12:06:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 12:32:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 2:26:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I cannot go into technical details due to this being an open forum but whatever we have said about us not building transparent magazines was directly specific to Magpul's magazine program and should not be taken out of that context.  In other words we are talking about us, not anyone else.

We are not ruling out a transparent mag in the future as there are some training benefits of a translucent design (being able to see the round tips) but what ever we release must address the list of concerns I outlined in my previous post.

FYI - Steyer is ofter held up as a premium polymer magazine but most of it's strength comes from the fact the AUG was designed to allow thick feed lips. The polymer would not fare well if used in an M4/M16 application. Even in the AUG form the round retention is less than optimal during high heat and/or forcible insertion on an open bolt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never even heard of anyone breaking a transparent Lancer mag body, even when trying. Magpul states it as the reason they don't offer transparent, but you can find lots of examples of broken PMAG's in all colors and generations. That's not to say PMAG's aren't 100 times tougher than USGI, but Lancer, Steyr, and HK have all proven modern polymers can be tough and clear. Lexan and bonding resins also come to mind. The epoxy used on space shuttles, clear.

I think the design of the PMAG is what makes transparent polymer a no go, not the polymer itself. I have more PMAG's than AWM's, but I don't plan on any future mag purchases that aren't AWM's either. Both are great mags, but smoke AWM's are the cat's ass.

I cannot go into technical details due to this being an open forum but whatever we have said about us not building transparent magazines was directly specific to Magpul's magazine program and should not be taken out of that context.  In other words we are talking about us, not anyone else.

We are not ruling out a transparent mag in the future as there are some training benefits of a translucent design (being able to see the round tips) but what ever we release must address the list of concerns I outlined in my previous post.

FYI - Steyer is ofter held up as a premium polymer magazine but most of it's strength comes from the fact the AUG was designed to allow thick feed lips. The polymer would not fare well if used in an M4/M16 application. Even in the AUG form the round retention is less than optimal during high heat and/or forcible insertion on an open bolt.

What is Magpul's stance on the all-polymer mag lips (unsupported by metal lips like Lancer) not being able to withstand outward pressures of being filled with 30 rounds and left in storage for long time? The 2 areas of concern are the spring tensile strength in long run and the ability of the polymer-only mag (lips, specifically) to not deform during long storage. The spring is every manufacturer's concern; but the lips deformation is for the polymer-only brands like Magpul. I even heard somewhere that magpul advises the user to install the lip cover if the mags are fully loaded so as not to deform the feed lips. Is this true?
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 4:56:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 5:40:37 PM EDT
[#17]

What is Magpul's stance on the all-polymer mag lips (unsupported by metal lips like Lancer) not being able to withstand outward pressures of being filled with 30 rounds and left in storage for long time? The 2 areas of concern are the spring tensile strength in long run and the ability of the polymer-only mag (lips, specifically) to not deform during long storage. The spring is every manufacturer's concern; but the lips deformation is for the polymer-only brands like Magpul. I even heard somewhere that magpul advises the user to install the lip cover if the mags are fully loaded so as not to deform the feed lips. Is this true?

When the original PMag was released in 2007 we were using very new polymer technology and we were unsure on how this new bread of material would do under pressure during long term storage.

By the end of 2008 we had long term testing under various conditions that allowed us to confirm that the PMags could be stored loaded long term without any issues.

So to repeat myself (I have been say this for about half a decaded now), the dust cover is optional. It's primary mission is to protect the feedlips from impact and debris but is in not needed to be used for long term storage of loaded mags
View Quote

This is great to know! This was one of the issues I had with polymer-only mags.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:09:27 AM EDT
[#18]
G2 Pmag w/ window at tradingplacepawn.com
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:49:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Just bought 2 x HK translucent mags for $15 each. I will probably get 2 each of the Lnacer translucent and variety of PMags...just to see how they all compare. I dont think I can go wrong with any of them.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:43:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quantico Tactical has PMAG's about as cheap as you'll find. Gen 2, non-window are $50/5, any color, or $90/10, any color. Gen 2, windowed are $60/5, any color, or $110/10, any color. If you can find windowed PMAGs in any color other than black for cheaper than that, other than short run specials, I'd love to know about it.
View Quote

Gen 2, 5 non window (colors)--$49.85
Gen 2, 5 window (colors)--$57.45
Gen 2, 10 non window (colors)--$99.70
Gen 2, 10 window (colors)--$114.95 (more expensive)

Guess the difference is negligible, just got 5 Gen 2's from them a few weeks back for 44.95. So they have under $9 from time to time.
http://www.hartatac.com

On a side note, Magpul, I received an email from the above site stating that you were stopping production of all colored PMAGs sans black. Any truth to that?
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:50:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1

I've got a lot of magpul gear, but for magazines it's lancer or bust.  I've probably had a hundred pmags but I've sold them all, and now have nothing but Lancer L5As and AWMs.  

The metal feed lips and sexy translucent mag body are enough for me.  I think the PMAGs are great, and they revolutionized the industry, but I love the clear mag bodies and the little windows offer me no utility.

I want to say Travis Haley had some translucent PMAGs in some of the magpul videos, so you know it's possible.  I would speculate that Magpul doesn't want to deliver them because it's somehow more profitable to sell us windowed PMAGs, but that's another story.

All that said I'm very excited about the new Magpul AK mags.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:47:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:24:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Try the polymer / metal reinforced Bulgarian IK-510 or IK-520 mags, think Circle 10 Bulgarian waffle AK-47 mags redesigned for the AR-15.

http://www.mwgco.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=mwg&Product_Code=012-IK-30&Category_Code=AR-15_MAGAZINES
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 12:11:14 PM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try the polymer / metal reinforced Bulgarian IK-510 or IK-520 mags, think Circle 10 Bulgarian waffle AK-47 mags redesigned for the AR-15.

http://www.mwgco.com/mm5/graphics/00000002/MWG_IK-510_30_Round_Steel_Reinforced_Polymer_AR-15_Magazine.jpg

http://www.mwgco.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=mwg&Product_Code=012-IK-30&Category_Code=AR-15_MAGAZINES

$16.75? I'd rather go with the Lancer for that price. For less.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top