BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:22:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Have not tried these yet, but like the fact that they make a factory blocked 15 round mag for states like NJ. For 11.99, worth trying. I have Magpul that were blocked by a variety of retailers by they charge $25 and up. If Magpul made a blocked 15 rounder at the same price point as there regular mags, I'd be buying more of them.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 12:44:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Just ordered some from PA but I accidentally ordered the 10 rounders. Luckily it was after they closed so it hasn't shipped yet. I left a phone message and email so I hope they catch it and send 30 rounders instead if the 10 rounders. Stupid me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 1:37:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe I've missed it skimming this thread, but why should these interest me more than what is already on the market?
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:10:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe I've missed it skimming this thread, but why should these interest me more than what is already on the market?
View Quote

I haven't heard anything but positive things about them. That's why I decided to try them. Besides, more mags never hurt.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 7:48:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

They seem to be good mags with what little is known about them to now.  If they can be found cheaper than Pmags give them a shot. If not, then they are really nothing all that special if put against the big players.

The color coding system may be useful to some, but I think it is an expensive gimmick.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok. Just got mine. They look and feel great. I don't know for sure but they feel lighter than my pmags. And I got them for $11.99. Not bad.

I guess my only issue is pmags are war tested. If these were too Id stock and run both. I'll still buy some more of these but I'll still rely on my pmags.

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 5:01:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

$11.50 each and free shipping :) ..with that they are just as good a deal or better than most that you have to add normally at least $5 shipping minimum to.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:08:26 PM EDT
[#8]
       <please post magazine deals in the red highlighted tacked thread above........dpmmn>  
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:39:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I got a tan colored one recently from PA. 30 rounder.

They feel really nice, they seem slimmer than an awful lot of polymer mags. I haven't tested the dickens out of the one I have and I don't really intend to but I can say that they do look like they belong in a seekins precision lower receiver.

I think I will be getting more. Especially if they start to make 20 or 40 rounders.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Bought two at 9.99$ at selwary armory in town. Haven't shot them yet, If any issues ill post up.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I have been interested in trying out a Hexmag so i ordered one to check out. My first impression was they look cool and seem to be well made. That was untill i tested the follower, they tilt... So if you dont like mags with followers that tilt like troy battle mags you probably wont want these. Other than that they are nice

The feed lips have more give than a pmag so the plastic don't seem quite as hard but still much harder than a Lancer. I have swapped followers between a pmag and a lancer and they work so i tried swapping a pmag follower into a Hexmag and it will not go in. The Hexmag follower seems to be very smiler in construction to a pmag but it lacks the front guide rails that help prevent follower tilt.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:21:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The feed lips have more give than a pmag so the plastic don't seem quite as hard but still much harder than a Lancer. I have swapped followers between a pmag and a lancer and they work so i tried swapping a pmag follower into a Hexmag and it will not go in. The Hexmag follower seems to be very smiler in construction to a pmag but it lacks the front guide rails that help prevent follower tilt.
View Quote

So the Hexmag's lips are harder than the Lancer lips?  I thought the Lancer mags had steel feed lips and the Hexmag's were all polymer?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:51:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So the Hexmag's lips are harder than the Lancer lips?  I thought the Lancer mags had steel feed lips and the Hexmag's were all polymer?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lancers are steel. I am just talking about the polymer in general lancer plastic is soft and magpul is very hard. The Hexmag is hard but it still has a little bit more flex than a pmag.

I love Lancer but i did a dirt test with a black one and grit jammed up the follower and I'm pretty sure it was because the grit tends to grab the softer plastic. the Hexmags are pretty hard polymer though so that should not be a problem.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:17:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have been interested in trying out a Hexmag so i ordered one to check out. My first impression was they look cool and seem to be well made. That was untill i tested the follower, they tilt... So if you dont like mags with followers that tilt like troy battle mags you probably wont want these. Other than that they are nice

View Quote

That's odd. I only did a quick finger test but mine didn't seem to tilt. I'll recheck.

Edit. You're right. :). They tilt.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:55:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

That's odd. I only did a quick finger test but mine didn't seem to tilt. I'll recheck.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With all the tilting of the followers that you guys are experiencing, are you having any failure to feed problems at all?

Take a look at my attached picture of the length of the Hexmag follower front and rear guides, they're very long similar to the Magpul anti-tilt followers.

My PMAG gen3 tilts a little at the rear of the follower about one tenth of an inch, none at the front, but I never had any feeding problems with them.

Even the USGI Magpul gen3 anti-tilt followers, the front and rear ends tilts about on tenth of an inch and same thing no problems with them.

My worst mag so far was my old TangoDown ARC first gen that does not have an anti-tilt followers, one time had this mag fully loaded 30 rds for several months and I decided to move the ammo to another mag.

All the bullet tips are pointing downwards and won't clear the front of the mag, I had to pull the bullet tips first to unload them, then about halfway the follower got stuck halfway, the front end of the follower was tilted down about 1/4 to half an inch and it was stuck, I had to push it several times with a ruler, so I discarded it and hope the current version is better than the first gen.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Reviews wanted:  Here is one I wrote last November.

A friend of mine started a company a little while back with the purpose of making AR style mags with a better grip texture than other current magazines. He created the company HexMag (http://hexmag.com/) in his shop here in Colorado. Using a polymer similar to other manufacturers, he designed the magazines with a few distinct improvements over other currently produced AR magazines. First, they are light weight...extremely light weight. I don't have a scale available to weigh them but in a side by side comparison it is obvious there is a difference. It feels like more than just 1 or 2 ounces. Secondly, they are durable. The staff at HexMag (and several volunteers, of course) have done lots of drop tests and other crazy tortures to them to see how well they hold up and they have withstood all reasonable impacts. On top of that, they all have a lifetime warranty if it does ever fail on you. HexMags are comparably priced to other polymer magazines on the market as well. The two most noticeable features of the magazine is the grip texture (from which they get their name) and the HexID system. The raised hexagonal pattern on the mags is large enough to allow fingers to grab and push/pull on these magazines with great ease and is a overall cool looking design as well. The HexId system is basically bright colored followers/base pad marker that allow several different features not found on other magazines: 1) the bright colored follower allows easy instant recognition of an empty magazine and 2) the matching base pad marker allows for having different calibers/types of ammunition loaded and easily identifiable (ie...green for green tip, red for tracer, yellow for .330 BLK, etc...). In addition, the magazines can be stripped and cleaned in the field without tools for disassembly. Currently they are made in black, foliage (green), and FDE with colored followers an a rainbow (yes, I said rainbow) of colors (Hex orange is standard) as well as 30 rd, 15rd, and 10rd capacities, each are normal 30rd size.

I had the opportunity to take some with me for a .gov shooting course in Moyock, NC over the last 2 weeks and was very pleased with them. Having shot over 1K rounds per day for a 10 days (and nights) straight, there were no magazine induced malfunctions the entire time. The malfunctions encountered were from just running the crap out of the guns and them being dirty and abused. We shot in 30-40 deg temperatures, with few clear days but mostly rain and just miserable conditions (good thing I wasn't paying for ammo!). Grip purchase on the magazines (wearing Oakley gloves, first 2 fingers removed) was phenomenal in all conditions, without any modification to the magazines. HexMag currently has pre cut grip tape in various colors as well to assist anyone with butterfingers. We were shooting on crushed rock and gravel surface outdoors and dropping each magazine repeatedly as required by the course. We (everyone in the course took turns) ran the magazines hard and put them through a rough workout with no hiccups. The bright followers were well appreciated by all, students and instructors, as it made observing an empty magazine much easier compared to others with dark followers. Some of them are staying here at the compound for further abuse.

The point to this review is to show that there are some local (yes, he's here in Loveland, CO!!!) entrepreneurs who have the initiative to make improvements on gear to make us more efficient shooters. On top of that, Aaron is a great person who is truly interested in making everything he touches better. I say efficient as the magazines had nothing to do with my accuracy, but did make reloads faster and even one-tenth of a second is a bonus in my field. The HexID system is better than tape or paint and will prevent inadvertent mix ups with ammo types or calibers. If you see some HexMags on the shelf, get some and run 'em hard.

-S.C.

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 9:22:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/m9bmpK2.jpg

With all the tilting of the followers that you guys are experiencing, are you having any failure to feed problems at all?

Take a look at my attached picture of the length of the Hexmag follower front and rear guides, they're very long similar to the Magpul anti-tilt followers.

My PMAG gen3 tilts a little at the rear of the follower about one tenth of an inch, none at the front, but I never had any feeding problems with them.

Even the USGI Magpul gen3 anti-tilt followers, the front and rear ends tilts about on tenth of an inch and same thing no problems with them.

My worst mag so far was my old TangoDown ARC first gen that does not have an anti-tilt followers, one time had this mag fully loaded 30 rds for several months and I decided to move the ammo to another mag.

All the bullet tips are pointing downwards and won't clear the front of the mag, I had to pull the bullet tips first to unload them, then about halfway the follower got stuck halfway, the front end of the follower was tilted down about 1/4 to half an inch and it was stuck, I had to push it several times with a ruler, so I discarded it and hope the current version is better than the first gen.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/m9bmpK2.jpg

Quoted:
Quoted:

A tenth of an inch?!  I can push the front of mine down at least a half an inch if not further!  My Magpuls do about a tenth of an inch like you said.

Functions fine though. At least popping off at the range. I still like the mags. I think the tapes a tad much though. It's almost as much as I paid for my mags. I know it's only 7.99 but like I said, I only paid two bucks more for the mag.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 2:06:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Interesting idea with the grip tape. Put these PIG goves to work, see if they pass the test.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Picked one up several weeks back at my local range. Solid construction. I would say on par with the Magpuls I own. Seems to function rather well. Don't plan to torture test it, but would be interested in seeing how it holds up to heavy abuse. What I definitely appreciate is the fact that they come in 15 round capacities for the those of us here in the Peoples Republic of NJ. And for $14.99 each, they beat the cost of Gen III Magpuls that I was paying about $28 each for ones that were converted after they left the factory.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:19:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I just got 2 30rnd but with factory followers that limit them to 10 rnds for stupid NY laws. All I can add to this as I've only had a AR for a week is this worked. All rounds fed and mag dropped. $15 each at LGS
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 11:07:49 PM EDT
[#21]
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SfO5SN_VUl4

In this torture test the Hexmag makes it to the end with the Pmag

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 11:38:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have seen these mags at my local range during product  testing they are legit. I don't think they are trying to cash in but start a trend towards better looking magazines. When I am again able to buy magazines in my state I will give them a try. At least they look like they wont be leaving Colorado...........
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting that they are in Loveland, CO which is only 30 miles from Boulder, CO where Magpul is located.

These are nothing to do with us (other than they look like a copy of the PMag internally).

We surmise this was someone trying to cash in on the magazine surge last year but got to market too late.

I have seen these mags at my local range during product  testing they are legit. I don't think they are trying to cash in but start a trend towards better looking magazines. When I am again able to buy magazines in my state I will give them a try. At least they look like they wont be leaving Colorado...........

Quite a shilling chilling statement...
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 7:29:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SfO5SN_VUl4

In this torture test the Hexmag makes it to the end with the Pmag

View Quote

That torture test is a bit over the top, but impressed by the results. Will be buying some more Hexmags.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 9:27:10 AM EDT
[#24]
The gun starts breaking before the mags
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 12:45:46 AM EDT
[#25]
We were actually given these at an event last year (It will have been a year ago this November). I own a lot of magazines, from expensive to cheap, to USGI and in-between. I shoot a lot. Usually not a week goes by that I don't put a couple hundred rounds on target. So after a year of these guys being used along side everything else I have, I have had zero issues. When they gave them to us, was at an event where we shot for hours and hours. Ammunition was provided to us, free of charge, so we were very liberal in our shooting. After an entire night of using these, and not having a single issue, I decided to keep mine. I ended up with 5 of them. At first, I was thinking it would be something I could give as a gift to a friend or family member and just pass it off. In the end, I liked them enough, that I have been using them for a year now in my own shooting, with zero issues. They have been run through full auto weapons, and performed.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 2:01:47 PM EDT
[#26]
I was on the fence about these, hoping to find some useful info in this thread to sway me one way or another. Found what I needed pretty quick. Made in Colorado.
Pass
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 2:30:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I was on the fence about these, hoping to find some useful info in this thread to sway me one way or another. Found what I needed pretty quick. Made in Colorado.
Pass
View Quote

I can understand the whole "Colorado" issue, but I can't dismiss a quality product from a manufacturer who isn't responsible for dumb ass state laws. Who knows if the products take off, and they get a following, they may not be long for their stay in Colorado.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 6:19:27 PM EDT
[#28]
I liked the mags from the start but went with ETS instead since I have a thing for semi-transparent mags.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Any deals on these anywhere?  Would like to try a few.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:10:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Cheapest I've seen most everywhere online is $11.99. APEX has them I believe. I get them locally for $14.99
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Primary Arms has a deal on them until midnight on the 12th with a coupon code.

10% off with code HEXTEN on mags, tape and alternate followers.

Bought a few myself to try out now that I have a 300blk upper
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Wise tactical has them with a $3.95 flat rate ship.  Shipping is fast too
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#33]
I am a NJ resident (pity me), so the low price + ready availability of a 15/30 version attracted me.  Most of mine ordered from Wise Tactical (excellent service, btw).

Unfortunately, one of mine failed this morning (going to go look closely at all the others).

Had this one sitting on a shelf in the safe, loaded with 14 rounds.  Went to pull it out, and as soon as it was in my hands it vomited 5 rounds onto the floor.

Here's why - magazine developed a crack on the back spine.  Interestingly enough, the crack does NOT appear to follow the mold seam:

Date code 06/13:

Everything is "stock" with the magazine - been using the base plate/follower/spring/spacer that came with the mag:

As far as I know I've never dropped it/abused it, unless filling it to capacity, inserting it into an AR and leaving it inserted while firing the ammunition counts as abuse.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 3:18:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Call them up. Lifetime warranty. They will make it right. I had one not feed reliably. Just a small burr from the mold that got through QC. Replaced instantly with no questions.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Emailed hexmag through their web site yesterday, today they replied and ask for an address to send a replacement to.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 10:20:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Emailed hexmag through their web site yesterday, today they replied and ask for an address to send a replacement to.
View Quote

How do you like the 15 round hex mags cause I live in NJ too????
I might try to see if anyone has some used  15 round hexmags for sale just to try out ..
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 11:26:27 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm suddenly very interested.

The market IS saturated at this point, so when something new and different comes out, it's refreshing.

There's no magic to it- it's an AR mag with a cool little color code and an interesting design.

Hardcore Magpul-ists would see that as a gimmick, but I think it's a natural evolution.  Unless someone tops Magpul's polymer mag innovations, magazines are a dead horse.

So heck, make grip patterns and cool colors!
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 8:26:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I might try to see if anyone has some used  15 round hexmags for sale just to try out ..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly I haven't used them enough to have a strong opinion either way - I think I've used them in one or two range sessions so far.

The one spontaneously cracking inside my safe has me spooked - going to be triple checking the rest of them I have now.

Until I get more time/experience with them, I'll consider them range toys. Pmags are going to continue to be my "it's just gotta work" mag of choice.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 11:51:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm suddenly very interested.

The market IS saturated at this point, so when something new and different comes out, it's refreshing.

There's no magic to it- it's an AR mag with a cool little color code and an interesting design.

Hardcore Magpul-ists would see that as a gimmick, but I think it's a natural evolution.  Unless someone tops Magpul's polymer mag innovations, magazines are a dead horse.

So heck, make grip patterns and cool colors!
View Quote

IMO the Hexmag has proven it self against the Magpul mags and with a lifetime warranty can't be beat ..The price isn't bad either and so the Gimmick part I don't see cause they are not crazy expensive but a nice upgrade for the same price as a Magpul Mag..
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top