Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So now in a week GD will be talking about how great hex mags are.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So now in a week GD will be talking about how great hex mags are.

People in GD own guns?  
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I can't believe the "plastic" material is anywhere near as good, nor as tested as Magpuls.  And while I wish any new firearm related startup the best of  luck, if they are copying Magpuls patents (been hinted at here in this thread, I'm not saying they are), then I have no problem with Magpul slapping them down until they change their molds and compensate MP appropriately.  If not, then best of luck to them.  I guess I will see these mags next time I walk into Jensen's (where OP posted a  photo).
On the clear Lancers, I have many, and it is a different plastic type (similar to a plexi or "Lexan") than the opaque Magpuls and opaque Lancers.  I guarantee it will shatter/spiderweb if subjected to stress or a hard landing long before any opaque mags ever would.  The clear Lancers run great, and are tough, but not nearly as tough as the opaque versions.  No, I am not shattering a few mags to "prove it", this is my opinion on owning many of these mags and comparing them.  I view my clear Lancers as range mags, and they are great.

Ymmv.
View Quote
Modern "plastic" is an engineered material with a single technology company like 3M spending more on research and development of such materials than all firearms companies combined.  The engineering side of it is making a good design, picking the correct material for your product design, and holding good manufacturing quality.  All of which are easy to fuck up.

Magpul and Lancer both have good designs and have proven to be top-notch companies making consistent, quality products with slightly different market goals.  However I can assure all of their products are using what are essentially off the shelf engineered composites.

It's the basic design and the ability to product and market them effectively that makes these companies.

Magpul knows this, and it's the reason they are suing the shit out of companies copying their designs.  They don't have a patent on the required composite to make a good mag.

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 1:03:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Magpul has not used off the shelf resin for over half a decade.
View Quote

Wouldn't it have been easier to just say 5 years?
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 4:16:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 8:29:36 PM EDT
[#6]
<Edited...........Accusatory GD Type Commentary removed.......dpmmn>

Link Posted: 11/12/2014 12:44:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Don't buy anything from a vendor which can't be legally owned in the state of manufacturing.

View Quote
I also resist buying gun products from anti-gun states.  I wish Colt would move.

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 11:14:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

What is a GD type comment?
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 3:02:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I saw was a non-contributing comment intended as a snipe against MagPul.  ya know, if I could figure out a way to make Plane Jane CEO of MagPul, it would be quite entertaining to watch GD explode upon that announcement.

In any event, I'm curious if this company will be around very long, or if there is a justifiable case for infringement claims from their neighbors at MagPul.  We shall see!
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 11:09:20 PM EDT
[#10]
80% PMAGS, 20% Lancers.

I'm good.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A double standard
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:40:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Back on topic..
Picked mine up from Tactical Link website for $11.99 each. I'd say the only real issue for me is that it doesn't handle a StripLULA very well (but neither does the Lancer) and it doesn't reliably drop free from my Tavor. Otherwise.. the hex design makes it real easy to grip and oddly appealing. Here's a comparison pic:

I always like to try out new stuff so no real loss for me if this (or any product) doesn't workout for my needs. So far so good though!

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:09:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Interesting that they are in Loveland, CO which is only 30 miles from Boulder, CO where Magpul is located.
View Quote

I can confirm that a shop in Loveland, CO produces (has produced, anyway) a handful of Magpul products, including phone cases, 1911 grips, and AK and .308 Pmags. Perhaps this manufacturer heard of quality injection molding work and decided to go to the source.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:04:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 5:08:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't care about any of the extra curriculur legal BS these companies are involved with, I don't know why consumers think who magpul sues is even any of their business. All I am concerned with is what works. For me to stray away from pmags and USGI mags, I would have to see that the magazine in question beats all of the strong suits that pmags have, plus some. Which I have yet to see. So until that day, I still think Pmags are the most dependable mag on the market for the AR.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:03:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I picked up a pair of these in 10/30 b/c they are advertised as true 10/30 instead of having to block and rivet.

The mags sound a bit more hollow and the plastic is a lot more smooth compared to magpul mags. Not sure if I can explain the hollow sound other than maybe a bit more thin and the spring vibrates more when empty. Really no different once loaded other than feeling smoother.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:47:38 AM EDT
[#17]
I ordered some pinned 10/20 PMAGs and when i found out they only held 9 rounds, i had them swapped out with 10/30 HexMags.
They're good in CA because they're "true" 10/30s instead of pinned/limited magazines that people can get suspicious about(problem only understood here in CA). You can just drop the floorplate and the stopper/limiter comes right out, which can hold some fishing line or whatever the hell you want in them. I wrapped paracord around it a few times to give it a little more weight and less of the hollow feel they have. It's hard to describe, they feel solid, but just hollow.  

They sure as hell beat the overpriced $25 pre pinned PMAGs some places sell.

Good enough for me, anyway. I would still take a PMAG over one though, I like the way those feel better.

Tl;dr- hexmag good for regulated state, pmag good for free state
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 5:32:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Ordered some FDE.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:49:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I have 14. Run great thru my adams ams..... Gonna order 14 more.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I have been wanting to get one just to add to the assortment but could not justify the purchase once shipping was figured in for just one mag.

Was at the Gunshow yesterday and low and behold I finally spotted them in the wild.  

Price was $13 but guy dropped it to $12, guess I had the about to pass look on my face.

He had all the different colored followers too but I just got the mag with the stock orange follower.

About 70% of my mags are PMags but it is nice to have a few different flavors in the mix and you can never have too many mags.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:47:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have been wanting to get one just to add to the assortment but could not justify the purchase once shipping was figured in for just one mag.

Was at the Gunshow yesterday and low and behold I finally spotted them in the wild.  

Price was $13 but guy dropped it to $12, guess I had the about to pass look on my face.

He had all the different colored followers too but I just got the mag with the stock orange follower.

About 70% of my mags are PMags but it is nice to have a few different flavors in the mix and you can never have too many mags.
View Quote

Got mine from wise for 11.99 shipped.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Ordered 6 for my new AR because I live in a regulated 15rd state (NJ).  The block system appealed to me better than a pinned PMAG simply because it seems like more a professionally assembled rig and not an afterthought like pinned Mags are. 12 dollars + 5% off + free shipping is a hell of a deal compared to 22-24 dollars for a pinned PMAG.

I'll definitely compare them to the quality of PMAGs but for half the price I now have 6 mags that will last me a long time regardless of whether or not the resin is top quality or they were created in a fellow regulated state.......
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:35:59 AM EDT
[#23]
I have two of them and have been using them.  They work fine.  They hold the bullets, they feed the bullets, they go in the rifle, they drop out of the rifle when I hit the release.  That is all they need to do, and they do it perfectly so far.  Not interested in the politics of the situation, just the mags.  Magpul stuff is fine, but so are these in my experience.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:59:16 PM EDT
[#24]
I have 3 Hexmags. They work great. Was testing some of my new P-mags in a brand new, custom built piston driven AR. One of my new from the package P-mags had 3 failures to feed. Had to re-charge the rifle those 3 times. The Hexmags had zero failures. my initial impression of them after testing them so far is very favorable and the price point is fine.

Now I just wish someone else besides ASC would come out with some 7.62x39 AR mags.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 9:48:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Been awhile since I commented and now own as many Hexmag Magazines as Magpul Magazines Given my proximity to this company and several discussions at my local Gun shop with the two owners George and Aaron. Here is what I have learned.

1. the magazine was never meant to take over Magpul's dominance, they have used Magpul for many years and still admire all the engineering that went into their magazine products

2. They spend a good deal of money with patient attorneys making sure they did not infringe upon Magpul's patients, George said if an AK magazine can feed bullets why cant a plain AR magazine do the same. So the internal geometry is very basic and carries no patients.

3.The exterior design on the other had is now fully patented (quote by George). Another comment to me was we have found the Hexagon design compliments a rife rather than stands out like a sore thumb. One of the reasons it is very popular with AR customization and many small OEM rifle manufacturers.

4. The magazine handles a wide range of ammo 5.56, 300 AAC Blackout & supersonic, 458 SCOM and 50 Beowolf Long and short tip. They attribute the wide range to the minimalist internal geometry.

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:11:56 PM EDT
[#26]
I gave in a bought a few, the mags looked like they match the color of my colt better then most mags. I look forward to getting them. I must be getting soft because I like the metal mags I guess the nostalgia they just go with a colt. My last one I bought came with a p mag, I was like what's this junk.

M 2. Cents
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 3:42:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Recieved the 2 Hex Mags today, very nice looking and feeling. Will try out this weekend. Nice extra they came with a hand written thank you note. Thumbs up!
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:00:04 PM EDT
[#29]
id like some....too bad i live in colorado..........not only can i NOT find anyone who carries them, even if they did i couldnt get a 30rd'er

curse you hickenpooper!!!
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Any place have these for a decent price?

Txl
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:20:33 AM EDT
[#31]
I would love to try some but i'm having a "if it's not broke" crisis
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Well in case anyone cares, I went to the range and tried the Hex mags out and had no issues. Mag feels good in hand , nice looking so go buy a few and enjoy .

Price 11.99 on sale

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:07:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Any place have these for a decent price?

Txl
View Quote

Scratch that, I see several online retailers. All are priced at $11.99
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Haven't tried it yet but it's definitely got my interest.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Well in case anyone cares, I went to the range and tried the Hex mags out and had no issues. Mag feels good in hand , nice looking so go buy a few and enjoy .

Price 11.99 on sale

View Quote

That price is getting better - but that being said, with USGI for 6-7 bucks, and pmags sub 10 bucks all day long, my question is why?
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 11:07:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That price is getting better - but that being said, with USGI for 6-7 bucks, and pmags sub 10 bucks all day long, my question is why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Price 11.99 on sale

Where can I find USGI's for 6-7 bucks? and Pmags at my LGS' are about $19. I love my 10rd Pmags but prefer paying less for the Hexmags that do the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 8:38:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Hexmag gave us (DSARMS)  samples at shot or nasgw or something i just got around to firing them i ran 200 rounds full auto with zero issues through 3 mags, buy them guys they are gtg
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 8:41:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Hexmag gave us (DSARMS)  samples at shot or nasgw or something i just got around to firing them i ran 200 rounds full auto with zero issues through 3 mags, buy them guys they are gtg
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 12:53:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Where can I find USGI's for 6-7 bucks? and Pmags at my LGS' are about $19. I love my 10rd Pmags but prefer paying less for the Hexmags that do the same thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Price 11.99 on sale

Palmetto has usgis for cheap all the time.  Pmags are sub 10 online all the time to.  Primaryarms.com had sales on pmags constantly.  Try aim or dsg as well.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#41]
This is not to say that I wouldn't life to try some hexmags. I'm just saying I can't justify it until they are as cheap as some other proven options.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 12:06:33 PM EDT
[#42]
I paid 11.50 for my Hexmags with free shipping. Also, I live in Cali so I have to deal with the dumb 10rd limit
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 8:45:04 PM EDT
[#43]
I bought a few of these but have an issue when the bcg is back and then I insert the magazine the bolt will not come forward ,  it gets stuck. Then I have to press the bullet button down while jerking the magazine out because it is stuck. If the boat is forward and I Insert the magazine it works like a charm. I have MP 15 sport with no upgrades to the lower receiver. I asked hex mag about the problem and they were nice enough to send me a few new magazines  but unfortunately they have the same problem. Anybody else have this problem ?  Magul P mags work fine
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:16:59 PM EDT
[#44]
These run great thru all  4 of my ARs.  Colt Sporter, PSA, Adams Arms and RGM. Got 30 mags
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:21:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I bought a few of these but have an issue when the bcg is back and then I insert the magazine the bolt will not come forward ,  it gets stuck. Then I have to press the bullet button down while jerking the magazine out because it is stuck. If the boat is forward and I Insert the magazine it works like a charm. I have MP 15 sport with no upgrades to the lower receiver. I asked hex mag about the problem and they were nice enough to send me a few new magazines  but unfortunately they have the same problem. Anybody else have this problem ?  Magul P mags work fine
View Quote

Do you have any pictures?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 2:06:11 PM EDT
[#46]
There are a lot of AR brands that works with the HEXMAG mags, if your particular brand AR does not work with it then don't use this mag, you might also consult with an expert to determine what is causing the problem, maybe something is out of spec on the AR itself.

Just an update on this post, HEXMAG grip tape are also available to even improve on the grip on the mags in silver and black colors.

Here are some vids of torture test and users reviews, spoiler alert on the torture test, the HEXMAG did pretty well and passed (also PMAG did great).

These are the brands that were torture tested but there are other brands that did not make it:

HEXMAG
PMAG
Elite Tactical Systems (translucent)
Troy
Swamp Fox (Korean PMAG copy)
Promag
Thermold
USGI
X Products X-15 50 rd Skeletonized drum

HEXMAG Grip Tape:

http://hexmag.com/grip-tape/

HEXMAG users torture test and reviews:

http://hexmag.com/user-videos/

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 10:15:51 PM EDT
[#47]

I'm just posting these translucent new HEXMAG but they're only test mags, they won't make these into production.

(See the original Hexmag pictures at their Facebook page.)

Link Posted: 6/22/2015 12:17:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/m9bmpK2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ooWbHPP.jpg

I'm just posting these translucent new HEXMAG but they're only test mags, they won't make these into production.

View Quote

uhhhh where can i get one??
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 1:31:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/m9bmpK2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ooWbHPP.jpg

You can't get one because like I said on my statement you quoted me, they're only test mags, they only use them for display on trade and gun shows, they said they will never make them for production on their Facebook posts.

If you want to have a translucent type of mags look into the Lancer Systems or the Elite Tactical Systems Group.

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:13:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Price 11.99 on sale

found 2 packs for cheap and best of all it was FREE shipping which essentially made them the same deal as getting $7 metal say D&H mags+shipping....s shipped to me at $20 I looked at the metal ones but after shipping 2 of them also(at $7) came to $20 shipped $14+$6 shipping..so I went with the hexmags just to try something different..without the free shipping id have went with the metal ones from D&H.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top