Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 11:17:55 AM EDT
[#2]
So Hexmag managed to make a magazine without copying your PMag design, unlike so many other companies have done over the years? This may be the only product I have seen that is far removed from the Magpul design influence. Looks more AK inspired to me...
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 3:15:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So Hexmag managed to make a magazine without copying your PMag design, unlike so many other companies have done over the years? This may be the only product I have seen that is far removed from the Magpul design influence. Looks more AK inspired to me...
View Quote

A five sided plastic box with a spring.  Thermold and Orlite had them in the 90s.   The basic idea is nothing new..................
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 7:22:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 7:28:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 7:41:53 PM EDT
[#6]
matching hex pistol grip coming too...(heard it from a retailer)
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 2:40:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
matching hex pistol grip coming too...(heard it from a retailer)
View Quote

Then hex forends
Then hex stocks
Then hex,......

I'll stick with my magpuls and lancers
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 12:52:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 2:38:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/ngxv5ej" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/844/xv5e.jpg</a>

Fear not

Review is on the way….
View Quote

Here's Mrgunsngear's vid review link:

HEXMAG HX30-AR 30 Round AR-15 Magazine Test & Review (HD) - vid link

The Hexmag would really go great with the Kryptek camo, here's the Kryptek AR Pic Thread link.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/638609_Kryptek_AR_Pic_Thread_.html

Link Posted: 5/5/2014 9:19:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The Hexmag would really go great with the Kryptek camo, here's the Kryptek AR Pic Thread link.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/ngxv5ej" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/844/xv5e.jpg</a>

Fear not

Review is on the way….

Embedded it:

Link Posted: 5/5/2014 11:32:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice review, these always help.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 2:16:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice review, I'll probably be picking up a set.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 8:46:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I wouldnt mind picking up a few of these...but why when pmags are cheaper and tried and true?
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 2:57:15 PM EDT
[#14]
For something different. Like the reviews are saying it's a great option for those with multiple calibers. You're probably not going to mix up a hexmag with sky blue or neon orange follower and baseplate tab loaded up with 300blk with your black PMAGs loaded up with 5.56.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 3:04:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
For something different. Like the reviews are saying it's a great option for those with multiple calibers. You're probably not going to mix up a hexmag with sky blue or neon orange follower and baseplate tab loaded up with 300blk with your black PMAGs loaded up with 5.56.
View Quote

I've got 5 Troy Battlemags I use for .300 in my Seekins forged lower, but that's just because it's got a tight magwell and Pmags and most GI mags won't drop free, while the Troys will.

Do the hex mags trend tighter or looser in the magwell?
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 3:59:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Asking the wrong dude. Don't have mine yet.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 12:51:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I've got 5 Troy Battlemags I use for .300 in my Seekins forged lower, but that's just because it's got a tight magwell and Pmags and most GI mags won't drop free, while the Troys will.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They feel the same as PMAGs in terms of 'play.'
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 1:14:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Cant find a single reason to buy a hex mag
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 4:05:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

AT some point it becomes reinventing the wheel . What problem are we solving ?
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 5:56:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I think the answer is because we are Americans and that gives us freedom of choice. I for one got tired of the Magpul design years ago and the clones trying to be Magpul. I see it in every photo, quite frankly I am bored to death.

From the reviews it looks like a good product that works, if I could in fact buy them locally I would (Colorado bites). Time to make a trip to Wyoming to get my "HEXMAG" on.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:52:26 PM EDT
[#21]
I am probably going to pick a few up now that magpul is doing away with colored m2s.  I put .300blk subs and supers in different mags and want to do that with all my calibers.  Don't want to load a .300 in a 5.56 or vice versa.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 4:13:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some people like to try new things.  I think a $4 five blade razor is stupid but people are buying them. Who knows, maybe they are tougher than Lancers and as reliable as USGI 20 rounders....

The free market will decide.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Well this is one of my first times posting here. I have used a hexmag and overall I would rate it 4 out of 5. It is a great magazine, I have fired around 400 rounds through it and I have had 0 failures, and the bolt locks back everytime when it is empty. It has a great texture for grip and it has an nice antitilt follower. The only cons  have seen with it is that the material flexes a little more under pressure my pmags, but not as much as a promag. The polymer feels a little like a cheap plastic. I am very happy so far and I plan to order a couple more when I get a chance.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 9:40:11 AM EDT
[#24]
I'd like to see them move in to a market where Magpul has pulled out.

Straight bodied 20 round magazines.

I LOOOVEED the straight body 20 round G2 PMAGs.   I just about cried when they moved to the current curved design.     It's mostly just an aesthetic thing for me, but I never had any failures with the straight bodies, and I prefer 20 rounders to 30 rounders.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Basic idea is nothing new but geometry, materials and manufacturing process of the PMag is unique enough to have several utility patents on it's design.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A five sided plastic box with a spring.  Thermold and Orlite had them in the 90s.   The basic idea is nothing new..................

Basic idea is nothing new but geometry, materials and manufacturing process of the PMag is unique enough to have several utility patents on it's design.

How can you patent geometry?

Would that not be like me going out and patenting the arch?
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've got USGIs, PMAGs, Tango Downs, Lancers, Troys, and some I'm probably forgetting. I think I'm good at this point.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 10:51:38 AM EDT
[#27]
I ordered 10  of these hex mags a couple months ago. Picked them up @ $11.25 + $.5.00 shipping.

I've only run about 300 rounds through so far, but they have been flawless.

I have noticed that they fit tighter in the magwell.

For the price I'll get  some more. http://www.wisetactical.com/

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:57:06 AM EDT
[#28]
I have several of the Hexmags... and several PMags, both Gen II and III.

Hexmag was cheaper than the Gen II, is a bit more stout... but other than that, pretty much the same thing.

So if you want to save a buck or two... they're a good option.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'd like to see them move in to a market where Magpul has pulled out.

Straight bodied 20 round magazines.

I LOOOVEED the straight body 20 round G2 PMAGs.   I just about cried when they moved to the current curved design.     It's mostly just an aesthetic thing for me, but I never had any failures with the straight bodies, and I prefer 20 rounders to 30 rounders.
View Quote

THIS!^
If HEXMAG will produce 20rd straight polymer mags with a LOWER price point than their 30s, they'd sell a bunch!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like McDonald's?

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:55:16 AM EDT
[#31]

I can't believe the "plastic" material is anywhere near as good, nor as tested as Magpuls.  And while I wish any new firearm related startup the best of  luck, if they are copying Magpuls patents (been hinted at here in this thread, I'm not saying they are), then I have no problem with Magpul slapping them down until they change their molds and compensate MP appropriately.  If not, then best of luck to them.  I guess I will see these mags next time I walk into Jensen's (where OP posted a  photo).

On the clear Lancers, I have many, and it is a different plastic type (similar to a plexi or "Lexan") than the opaque Magpuls and opaque Lancers.  I guarantee it will shatter/spiderweb if subjected to stress or a hard landing long before any opaque mags ever would.  The clear Lancers run great, and are tough, but not nearly as tough as the opaque versions.  No, I am not shattering a few mags to "prove it", this is my opinion on owning many of these mags and comparing them.  I view my clear Lancers as range mags, and they are great.

Ymmv.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:57:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I can't believe the "plastic" material is anywhere near as good, nor as tested as Magpuls.
View Quote

LOL, amazing how gullible people are
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:31:21 PM EDT
[#33]
I'd try a couple just because they're different, but I really think the default color should be black (follower and push button). But at this time I'm into tinted translucent mags. So I guess I'll just file this info and maybe I'll see one at a show or store.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:12:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Came across a few. Run GREAT, but at 2x the price of a PMAG they they are being sued over.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:03:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'll stick with Lancers for my 5.56 guns.
View Quote

Cheers on the Lancer mags
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 3:09:26 PM EDT
[#36]
A local LGS has them at $10.99 ea they feel pretty sturdy, I picked up 3. Figured what the hell, would I pay more then a P-mag No!
So far after 300 rounds no issues. Prolly going to get 3 more. Not that I don't have a enough Lancers or P-mags

Link Posted: 10/11/2014 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#37]

New colors of Flat Dark Earth (FDE) and OD Green will be available this November, as well as the same noted colors HexID Color Identification System.

There is a giveaway contest at Gunstruction if you want to get these new colors mags before the official release date.

Ref.

http://www.gunstruction.net/contest_form/

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't see anything too revolutionary here.
People keep saying "...they look..."
Are people that easy to sell something to because of a bunch of hexagons? What about this design is a game changer?
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 1:59:12 AM EDT
[#39]
They are not cut to take regular USGI stripper clips and spoons...

How exactly is that hard to NOT notice right away?

And how does NOT having that make it somehow 'better'???

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#40]
I grabbed a few of these to try, and they do NOT drop-free in a Tavor. Gen 2 and 3 PMags do.

Edit: They also do not insert a full 30 on a closed bolt, regardless of the amount of pimp-slapping applied. Gen 2 and 3 PMags do.

These are a no-go for Tavors.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 7:51:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I grabbed a few of these to try, and they do NOT drop-free in a Tavor. Gen 2 and 3 PMags do.

Edit: They also do not insert a full 30 on a closed bolt, regardless of the amount of pimp-slapping applied. Gen 2 and 3 PMags do.

View Quote

Did you try a little baby powder? You put it on your hand before you pimp smack it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Did you try a little baby powder? You put it on your hand before you pimp smack it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tried, but then the mag just sneezed and rounds flew everywhere. Judicious pimpslapping continued while it picked up its mess.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Good luck getting that out of a standard double mag pouch.  P Mags are already tight on pouches sized for metal mags...rough texture would make it impossible.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:27:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
They are not cut to take regular USGI stripper clips and spoons...

How exactly is that hard to NOT notice right away?

And how does NOT having that make it somehow 'better'???

View Quote

I know the MagPul P-Mags have that slits in them to accept the USGI Stripper Clip Spoon.  However I know the USGI Spoon and StripLULA will slip off a Pmag.  However I bet the Thermold Stripper Clip Guide (which I like) would work on these hex mags.

however since they are in CO and will not sell to their own residences etc.. I won't buy these hex mags.....
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:02:18 PM EDT
[#45]
point taken, I am sticking with my Magpuls
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:50:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:00:07 AM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

So now in a week GD will be talking about how great hex mags are.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:09:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Seems like a bad time to be introducing a new mag to the market, what with prices being so low and all.

There also seems to be a bit of astro-turfing in this thread, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:37:34 PM EDT
[#49]
The mags themselves are priced ok if not at the higher end of the scale.  The color coordinating parts are insane for 50 cents in plastic for $10+$
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:45:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I have never owned an L5 but have seen enough posts like this one just two threads up to try them out.  I know some people say they never have issues, but there are enough of these to make me question why I would spend $4.30more per mag on L5 vs PMag Gen2 Window mags based on the best price I could find last time I looked.  I do not have anything personal against Lancer or anything personal for PMag.  Just know I have not had issues with PMag.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_17/642774_Lancer_L5_mags_spitting_rounds_out.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just wish someone would make a good polymer mag in clear.  And before you say Lancer L5, I said a good polymer mag.  Something as reliable as the PMAG but clear.  I have head too many issues with the Lancer Mags to trust my life to them.  As for PMag I know they make the window version just like the look of a clear mag.
Issues with Lancer mags? Do you have a legitimate source to back up that claim?

I have never owned an L5 but have seen enough posts like this one just two threads up to try them out.  I know some people say they never have issues, but there are enough of these to make me question why I would spend $4.30more per mag on L5 vs PMag Gen2 Window mags based on the best price I could find last time I looked.  I do not have anything personal against Lancer or anything personal for PMag.  Just know I have not had issues with PMag.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_17/642774_Lancer_L5_mags_spitting_rounds_out.html

That thread relates to issues with .300 Blackout.

As to this mag, nice to have choices, but why buy a PMag made by someone trying to make a knockoff PMAG, at a higher price? If there were noteworthy differences from a PMag, then sure - if it had features I might want like clear construction and steel lips...

These guys also just happen by amazing coincidence to be in the same little city MagPul was - making it just a little suspect on how they independently managed to develop the know-how to make the same thing MagPul makes.  Good luck asking for help with that lifetime replacement expectation in 10 years.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top