Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/23/2014 1:29:30 AM EDT

The 30rd HEXMAG, new to me, I had only found one seller which is apexgunparts.com (CO).

Here's some info from their site at hexmag.com:

The HX30-AR is a lightweight, durable polymer 30-round 5.56x45mm NATO/ .223 Remington ammunition magazine designed to function with most AR15/M4 compatible platforms.

• IMPACT RESISTANT, FIBER-REINFORCED NYLON POLYMER BODY

• RAISED HEXAGON PATTERN PROVIDES SUPERIOR GRIP FOR SECURE HANDLING

• ANTI-CORROSION HEAT-TREATED, STAINLESS STEEL SPRING (USGI SPEC)

• TOOL-FREE LATCH PLATE DESIGN IS SECURE WHILE MAKING DISASSEMBLY FAST AND EASY

• HexID COLOR IDENTIFICATION SYSTEM MAKES AMMUNITION RECOGNITION SIMPLE

• LIFETIME WARRANTY

Made in Colorado, USA.

Some HEXMAG vid links:

Hexmag Big Truck Crush Test - Vimeo link

Hexmag Demo Vid - Vimeo link

Hexmag - Assembly of the HX30-AR Mag - Vimeo link

Thanks in advance for your info.

ETA: Fixed broken pic link and added updated pics.

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 6:12:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Good luck catching on in this market.  Pmags and usgi mags are both less expensive and battle proven.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 8:18:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting that they are in Loveland, CO which is only 30 miles from Boulder, CO where Magpul is located.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 9:12:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting that they are in Loveland, CO which is only 30 miles from Boulder, CO where Magpul is located.
View Quote

Maybe the state is trying to make up the losses.......
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 9:25:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like a nice design.  Sure, I'd try a few...
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't need more mags, but I might try a few.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 9:49:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't buy anything from a vendor which can't be legally owned in the state of manufacturing.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 8:27:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

These are nothing to do with us (other than they look like a copy of the PMag internally).

We surmise this was someone trying to cash in on the magazine surge last year but got to market too late.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These are nothing to do with us (other than they look like a copy of the PMag internally).

We surmise this was someone trying to cash in on the magazine surge last year but got to market too late.

I have seen these mags at my local range during product  testing they are legit. I don't think they are trying to cash in but start a trend towards better looking magazines. When I am again able to buy magazines in my state I will give them a try. At least they look like they wont be leaving Colorado...........
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 12:14:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I they are cheaper than PMags I would give a couple a try. Otherwise there is no point.  I tried tons of the new "PMag" killers last year at twice the price.  Most are in the trash.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 12:39:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 1:02:10 AM EDT
[#11]
They look good and I think magpul should welcome competition. Help keep them on their toes so to speak. Right now their only polymer competition is Lancer who's mags are just different enough to not be a direct competitor.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 1:10:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll stick with Lancers for my 5.56 guns.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 12:23:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They look good and I think magpul should welcome competition. Help keep them on their toes so to speak. Right now their only polymer competition is Lancer who's mags are just different enough to not be a direct competitor.
View Quote

At $13.99 each these mags hardly compete with anything.  Most sought after mags cost less.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 12:51:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have seen these mags at my local range during product  testing they are legit. I don't think they are trying to cash in but start a trend towards better looking magazines. When I am again able to buy magazines in my state I will give them a try. At least they look like they wont be leaving Colorado...........
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If they left Colorado I might consider giving them money.  I'll stick with Magpul and Lancer.

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

MagPul  should welcome the competition.  This is what drives us forward to better products.  I hope someone pushes them hard to make them put out better products as theyare the only place that can "push the envelope" at this time.  That being said, while I have only liked 75% of the MagPul products I have purchased, I hope someone gives them a run for their money so we all win.  So far only Lancer has done that; and at the higher price I still choose Magpul even though I think Lancer is better.

I have purchased many new mags during the great panic.  Almost all were MagPul rip offs.  Almost all were junk or at least range mags only. I hope these are great but know they will be another waste of my $.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 8:46:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Counterfeits and those who wish to live off our engineering/ip is another matter entirely.
View Quote

I've not seen any counterfeit mags personally, but I've seen plenty of knockoff grips, stocks and MBUS.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 9:11:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Competition is fine. We had half a dozen competitors building their answer to polymer magazines during the height of combat operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. In the end PMags were fielded in the millions and out numbered all the other third party magazines, combined.

Counterfeits and those who wish to live off our engineering/ip is another matter entirely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MagPul  should welcome the competition.  This is what drives us forward to better products.  I hope someone pushes them hard to make them put out better products as theyare the only place that can "push the envelope" at this time.  That being said, while I have only liked 75% of the MagPul products I have purchased, I hope someone gives them a run for their money so we all win.  So far only Lancer has done that; and at the higher price I still choose Magpul even though I think Lancer is better.

I have purchased many new mags during the great panic.  Almost all were MagPul rip offs.  Almost all were junk or at least range mags only. I hope these are great but know they will be another waste of my $.

Competition is fine. We had half a dozen competitors building their answer to polymer magazines during the height of combat operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. In the end PMags were fielded in the millions and out numbered all the other third party magazines, combined.

Not arguing a bit. Patent infringement is patent infringement. Likely you will pay more defending it than you will see from some nobody though.  Google them, you cant even find where to buy them. Edit, found some. I didn't want to enter any info but saw them available from a site sponsor.  For $1 more I will stick with what I know works.

I was there.  Never once saw a knock off though. Saw a few Lancers but that was it. I never touched one until I was back.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 11:55:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Don't buy anything from a vendor which can't be legally owned in the state of manufacturing.
View Quote

Ditto.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 8:44:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Ditto.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto.

Why?
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 10:12:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto.

Why?

I wonder if he owns any Asian optics or accessories?  Because the Japanese, Koreans and Chinese sure can't have anything to use them on.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 10:48:21 AM EDT
[#22]
they had a woman shooting a gun with one of them, must be legit.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I wonder if he owns any Asian optics or accessories?  Because the Japanese, Koreans and Chinese sure can't have anything to use them on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto.

Why?

exactly..
The way i see it:  I commend Magpul on their decision to move out.  They have a FIRM position in the industry, and are very prosperous.  They move, people take notice.  Thats why i love their affordable, quality products even more.
But a small start up company cant pore what little capital, if any, they have in relocation. If they moved, it wouldnt be a blip on the political radar.  And not everyone opposed to the law in CO can move, there would be no one left to fight for liberty.  I would think buying from them would give more money to the cause to change coarse. Campaigns are not cheap, and clearly financial help is needed to win back the state.

I dont find it logical to withhold profit from families that are facing tyranny.  To do so would just be another win for the grabbers.  They dont want them making money either.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 10:58:24 AM EDT
[#24]
To follow up. I was in my local FFL this week buying ammo. I noticed a few guys replacing all the UGSI and Magpul Magazines with the Hexmag stuff behind the counter. I asked one of the guys removing them them from the retail package what was going on and it turned out to be the founder of Hexmag, a guy named Aaron.

He did mention the colorado situation as everyone on this post seems to care more about that than the magazine. They are complying with the law as he showed me a number printed on the follower. He said it is the biggest waste of time, no one regulates the number and they do not keep a record of that number. Its just a date code. Replacement followers are not marked.

The colored HexID followers are nice but a bit bright. I can see when you load them all you see is the hex on the bottom. I pulled one apart quite easily as you do not need any tools, Seems secure when attached as well..The large latch plate button makes it easy. Saves scratching my mags with bullet tips.

He did say the spring is made by the same company Magpul uses and everything is manufactured in Colorado.. I did not get to ask him if they copied magpul. One of the store guys said he has a 6/13 date code on the magazine body as a protest to the magazine ban> I didn't see that but I wasn't looking for it. From what I can see these guys are legit and the product looks good. I guess reviews will eventually come out showing this to be true or not. Its cool I am in Hexmag central.

Sorry about the blurry phone pict, the orange dots are the Hexmag the Tan Magpul.

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 1:40:42 PM EDT
[#25]
interesting looking mag,I might be tempted to try one if I ran across them at a show or LGS but it would take a lot of convincing before I would choose a new mag over a known quality Pmag/USGI mag at a lower price point.

I just use colored elec tape to identify contents
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:08:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I think I'll buy one to try. I like my 30rd pmag but can't stand my 10rd pmag. For whatever reason the brand new 10rd pmag won't lock the bolt back.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 7:20:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Wise Tactical. Under $12
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They should.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:03:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I just wish someone would make a good polymer mag in clear.  And before you say Lancer L5, I said a good polymer mag.  Something as reliable as the PMAG but clear.  I have head too many issues with the Lancer Mags to trust my life to them.  As for PMag I know they make the window version just like the look of a clear mag.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 10:57:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I just wish someone would make a good polymer mag in clear.  And before you say Lancer L5, I said a good polymer mag.  Something as reliable as the PMAG but clear.  I have head too many issues with the Lancer Mags to trust my life to them.  As for PMag I know they make the window version just like the look of a clear mag.
View Quote

Are you saying you had issues, or heard of issues?
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:39:18 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote
Issues with Lancer mags? Do you have a legitimate source to back up that claim?

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 2:21:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Definitely look interesting. I'm on the fence about them though. Wouldn't mind having a couple, but I'd like to see how reliable they turn out to be.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#34]

Fear not

Review is on the way….
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 8:03:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/ngxv5ej" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/844/xv5e.jpg</a>

Fear not

Review is on the way….
View Quote

We can always count on you to break stuff so we don't have to.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have never owned an L5 but have seen enough posts like this one just two threads up to try them out.  I know some people say they never have issues, but there are enough of these to make me question why I would spend $4.30more per mag on L5 vs PMag Gen2 Window mags based on the best price I could find last time I looked.  I do not have anything personal against Lancer or anything personal for PMag.  Just know I have not had issues with PMag.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_17/642774_Lancer_L5_mags_spitting_rounds_out.html
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 11:32:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/ngxv5ej" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/844/xv5e.jpg</a>

Fear not

Review is on the way….
View Quote

Wha? What're you doing posting? Review faster!  
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 12:43:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Will anybody be or at the Knob Creek machine gun shoot?

HexMag have some demo mags available there according to their Facebook page.

If you're at the show drop by the Apex Gun Parts booth where they're going to giving away products in daily raffles.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 1:39:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as Dem's and Rino's run the show it is never too late to get in.

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#40]
I think they are neat looking. Sure as hell won't be getting rid of my m2 window and m3 pmags for them, but they look to be solid mags none the less. Wise tactical has them for $11.50 each which is less than any of the pmags. At just over $10 Iwould certainly pick some up for extras if I didn't live in a state run by the likes of Yee and Feinstein.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#41]
I'll try one just try one but I'm pretty much stuck on pmags, lancers and HK mags.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:39:27 AM EDT
[#42]
When I was at Knob Creek in the APEX booth, the guy in there asked if I wanted a free mag to try out on the shooting line.....I said sure and used it all day. Never had any problems of any type. It worked great. I ran 500+ rounds through it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:33:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

All the clears mags on the market (domestic or foreign) are brittle and seemed to crack easily.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#44]
they "look" more stout that the Herra mags that are starting to show up up here

I have primarily Pmags and CanThermolds, and I think I will stick with them, my only complaint is my covers won't lock on my Pmags when loaded, and that is because of the gay rivet, nothing to do whatsoever with the Pmag quality
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:19:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

All the clears mags on the market (domestic or foreign) are brittle and seemed to crack easily.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lancers don't crack.  As a matter of fact, they don't break either..........
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:22:20 PM EDT
[#46]
45 posts and no one has used one yet???  What happened to the mantra "Don't comment on something if you haven't used it"????
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
45 posts and no one has used one yet???  What happened to the mantra "Don't comment on something if you haven't used it"????
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
When I was at Knob Creek in the APEX booth, the guy in there asked if I wanted a free mag to try out on the shooting line.....I said sure and used it all day. Never had any problems of any type. It worked great. I ran 500+ rounds through it.

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:50:10 PM EDT
[#48]

Saw a couple YouTube reviews with Hexmag.....and a nice pic. Seems like they're starting to get out there.

Soooooooootch00

JMAC Customs

<edited..........Image removed..........dpmmn>

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 12:08:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Ordered some a few weeks ago and tried them out this weekend.
Good price and comparable to MagPul.
No problems and liked the aggressive grip texture and the follower and base plate color options.
At that price I'll get a few more.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 7:25:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can confirm that a shop in Loveland, CO produces (has produced, anyway) a handful of Magpul products, including phone cases, 1911 grips, and AK and .308  Pmags.  Perhaps this manufacturer heard of quality injection molding work and decided to go to the source.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top