User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/16/2014 12:47:49 PM EDT
So what do you stock up on?
I have looked here on the EE that one can get the usgi mags cheap and the m2 pmags are not bad around $10.
Would you spend the extra money on the pmag or just go with used usgi mags.  Just stocking up for if SHTF.  May have to trust your life to them.
I do like the lancer L5awm but you can almost get 3 usgi mags for 1.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#1]
To trust your life? Pmags
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 12:59:49 PM EDT
[#2]
For stocking up, I would get whatever I could get a better deal on.  I have no issues trusting USGI mags with my life.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out AGS armament they have them right now for $9.95 https://agsarmament.com/magpul-moe-pmag-30-556mm-30rd
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 4:27:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Right now I'm trying to stock Pmags and USGIs with Magpul followers
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 5:06:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a 31 Flavors guy and I have some of almost every brand and type made, bought as I found good deals on them here and there.

I prefer my old C-Products and newer C-Products Defense 40s, and am liking my new Surefire 60s so far, for general defensive use.I also keep some OD Pmags full of perpetrator (green mag, green tip, easy to grab the right thing, and my smoke Lancers for other specialty rounds so it's easy to visually verify what is in them.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 2:30:54 AM EDT
[#6]
USGI,PMAGS and Lançers are what I have.Stock up now,we'll never see mags this cheap again.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 3:55:06 AM EDT
[#7]
To trust your life for post SHTF? Just how many mags do you think you're going to get thru?
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 4:26:04 AM EDT
[#8]
87 mags of course

Link Posted: 3/17/2014 5:50:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Magpul, Lancer, D&H, Okay, Brownells, NHMTG, and Colt are all top tier imo. Likely others just as good, but those I know I'd trust. Avoid korean 'mil-spec' like the plaque. I've never tried the 60's & 100's from surefire, but have read too many bad reviews to be overly interested in them; at least yet. My personal stock of mags is primarily D&H first quantity-wise, with magpul second & then lancers. Plain old 30's for the most part, with probably only two- or three-dozen 20's in all.

I'd suggest getting one or two each of several different ones first, just plain old 30's and/or 20's, to see which ones you prefer and 'like'; and which ones your gun prefers and likes. Then stock up based on your personal preference.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 6:13:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For stocking up, I would get whatever I could get a better deal on.  I have no issues trusting USGI mags with my life.
View Quote

Same goes for me...........

PMags, USGI, and E-Lander Mags for me lately......
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 6:16:52 AM EDT
[#11]
i just buy a pmag or 2 at every gun show and stock them away.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 7:00:25 AM EDT
[#12]
IMO opinion it's pretty thought o beat the D & H mags with magpul followers for 8 bucks.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 7:29:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
IMO opinion it's pretty thought o beat the D & H mags with magpul followers for 8 bucks.
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
To trust your life for post SHTF? Just how many mags do you think you're going to get thru?
View Quote

Why would you care why he wants mags or why he wants so many? He wants them. Good enough reason for me, but he doesn't need my approval OR YOURS.

I hardly ever say this, but '13ers...
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 12:54:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I have D&h and pmags myself, looking to get others though.

Link Posted: 3/17/2014 1:19:05 PM EDT
[#16]
We have evidence of USGI magazines working just fine 50 years later.  That's all I need to know.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I like USGI and Pmag.

Pmags hold up better that USGI, but USGI just stack and store better in stuff.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 3:50:52 PM EDT
[#18]
USGI type by D&H and Pmags for me .
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 4:08:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought some of the kay mags that are being sold in the EE.  They look pretty good.  Have not shot any yet.
thanks again
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 11:29:37 PM EDT
[#20]
My current mag count is 2 Armatac 150rd SAW Drums. 40, 20rd Lancers (Black), and 30, 30rd Gen2 Pmags. So so far I'm at 70 mags total, not counting the two Armatac Drums. I am thinking of grabbing me another 10 more Pmags and then calling things quit as I feel its more than enough to span my lifetime. Heck when going out to just have some fun I only bring with me 5, 20rd mags, and 5, 30rd mags, and these are not counting from any of my Brand New in Bag mags mentioned above. Personally unless you're doing lots and lots of mag dumps I can't see any reason of having more than maybe say a 100 mags total? Then again some guys stash a few of them around different areas of the house, few in the car, truck, minivan, bus, etc etc so maybe for them a 100 still probably wouldn't be enough.

Oh yeah and did I mention, all my mags are Black...I'd like to know how many folks are stocking up on color'd mags and if so what colors or what colors do they feel will be the most popular or most scarce if a ban was to take place again. I personally don't own any rifles thats in a different color from Black so I just stock up on Black mags only.

Also, I can only imagine the guys who own a ton of different Cal. guns on what they see fit on stocking up on for those other Cal's. but for me handgun mags is at 20 each, all 10rd mags. My handgun collection is only .45's so no 9mm stuff here. And then my 308 mag collection is at the 45 count which I plan to faze out once the Lancer 308 mags become available which I remember them saying would be this April so am looking forward to those.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 6:27:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
yup been buying these for a while now,hard to beat the price

Link Posted: 3/21/2014 7:18:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Came to post this.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Although DSG arms occasionally has $10 P mags.

OP...57 posts in 11 years???  
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 9:57:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Hartatac:  $8.99 PMAGs

$8 flat rate shipping.

Free shipping for orders over $250.

I'll do the math for you - 28 PMAGs for $251.72 shipped to your door.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 5:49:40 AM EDT
[#25]
We will remember this time as the golden age of magazines.

I thought it was in 2004-2006 personally, when good mags were everywhere for under $14 a mag.  I never dreamed we'd have them for $8 a mag.  Adjusted for inflation, this is as cheap as they have EVER been.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 8:23:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Primary Arms had OD window Gen 2 PMAGs for $6.99 earlier this week, limit 10 per household, while supplies lasted. (They lasted less than 24 hours.) It pays to look around at different vendors from time to time.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 7:24:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I thought it was in 2004-2006 personally, when good mags were everywhere for under $14 a mag.  I never dreamed we'd have them for $8 a mag.  Adjusted for inflation, this is as cheap as they have EVER been.
View Quote

Yup.  The magazine deals thread has cost me a lot of money in 2013 and 2014...    I love having a magazine fort!
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 7:57:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I picked up 8 used USGI with green followers for 40.00 cash at the last Canton gun show.  

TRG
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 2:36:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I picked up 8 used USGI with green followers for 40.00 cash at the last Canton gun show.  

TRG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Is the bold above held in conjunction with first Monday weekend? If so, where is it held?

TIA
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 2:51:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is as correct of statement as I have ever seen on ARFCOM!

I have purchased Twenty New Colt 30 round mags for $7.50 each shipped.

Crap, before the 1994 magazine ban I was paying $15 - $20 each for Colt's
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#31]
I used to buy  mags 100 at a time from BCM. Thought I would never buy another ar mag in my life time. That was till they came along with 40 end PMags. Now I buy those 10 at a time when I can find them @ $17.00 each
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Is the bold above held in conjunction with first Monday weekend? If so, where is it held?

TIA
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

TIA

Yes, at the Canton Civic Center.

Decent show.

TRG
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:06:02 PM EDT
[#33]
I have USGI and pmag gen 2 and 3.  Honestly I like the NHMTG USGI mags the best.  I try to stock up on those first. I usually shoot with the pmags though as I don't really care about dropping them etc.  so I look at the USGIs as stock up mags and the pmags as range mags users etc.

Link Posted: 3/28/2014 8:05:21 AM EDT
[#34]
I got rid of all of my various mags and now have 100 30rd Gen 3 PMAGs, black with no windows. I'd like 100 more identical mags then I will call it good.  

Link Posted: 3/30/2014 10:00:19 PM EDT
[#35]
I finally got around to burning the rewards points I accumulated with my Cabela's card and decided PMAGS were the way to do it...

Got 30 PMAGS (mix between Gen 2 FDE and Gen 3 black non-window) for $16.52 shipped.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 6:15:50 PM EDT
[#36]
You're late.

$9 Lancers were late 2013.  Now?  Prolly pmags.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You're late.

$9 Lancers were late 2013.  Now?  Prolly pmags.
View Quote

I bought my first Lancer magazines back then for that price. If I had known how much I would prefer them to everything else I would have bought more.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 7:20:06 PM EDT
[#38]
are you planning to use your mags to pave your drive way?

If so Pmags.

if not, get what ever you can get the most of for your $.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 5:09:02 AM EDT
[#39]
PMAGS.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 10:54:00 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote

Holy fuck you are right, How the fuck have I survived in Afg with a Alum no name ar mag in my rifle??

Thanks Bro
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 11:21:57 PM EDT
[#41]
3/4 are pmags.
10x40's
Prolly 20x30's
The rest usgi
Almost 40 total
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 12:20:19 AM EDT
[#42]
OP,

PMAGS are great, USGI are great, stock up on whatever you can get your hands on when you can get your hands on them. You can never really have too many mags. As for Lancers and others, I have no idea, never used them.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 12:21:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Holy fuck you are right, How the fuck have I survived in Afg with a Alum no name ar mag in my rifle??

Thanks Bro
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks Bro

Oh shit!
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:30:41 AM EDT
[#44]
My first choice are Pmags and 2nd are D&H.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:17:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Depends what you want em for.  

I use pmags as my range mags.  Durable, won't give me too much trouble after a drop on concrete.

I buy GI Mags for long term storage, SHTF, resale during the Hillary 2016 campaign, etc.  Treat them as disposable.  Easy to stock up on these, too.  PSA has 10 packs of D&H right now for $79.99.  Sweet deal if you got the free shipping over the weekend.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:51:53 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Oh shit!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks Bro

Oh shit!

<image removed, Please do not use GD Type images in the tech forums.......dpmmn>

Seriously though, I made it through three deployments with normal GI mags.  Do I think they're good?  Yes.  Do I think MagPul polymer is good?  Yes.  If they would have issued them to me, I would have been fine with them.  In GLORIOUS TRADITION OF MOTHER ARFCOM, I have many of both.

Lancers are my new favorite flavor of the week tho.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PMAGs and E-Lander for me too.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 10:53:30 PM EDT
[#48]
just bought 6 USGI mags, 5 were either okay or colt, 1 was brownells all were recent vintage in very good or better condition, 20 bucks.  One was even the tan follower design.   and still waiting on my last FDE order of pmags due to the colors being stopped on gen 2 which I prefer over gen 3.

Anyway to paraphrase Popeye:  "That's all I the AR mags I can buyz, cuz I can't buyz n'more!"

I'm done, I have more than enough.  Maybe with the exception of some 40rd or larger mags.  Maybe some odd color.  But I am done bulk buying any more.   That is it, fin...

If you are hoarding for resale, then PMAG all the way.   After the first couple weeks of the last panic, wasn't even worth listing USGI mags for sale....
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#49]
I buy mags anytime I find a deal. Just bought 20 PMAGS and will buy more at the next gun show if they are cheap.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 8:54:02 PM EDT
[#50]
I have plenty of mags, mostly GI aluminum ones that I've picked up here and there over the years.  I don't have any idea how many I have as I never counted and I keep coming across them.  I got my first AR in 1987 and I'd pick up a couple at each gun show or when I came across a deal. I had plenty so I never had another type until prices started coming down last year, then I got some P-Mags.

I like the P-Mags a lot, especially since the feed lips don't have sharp edges when I'm loading rounds.  I've since picked up a bunch of P-Mags and I'm good with those.

At this point the only mags I'd pick up would be some more of the P-Mag 40's.  I picked up 4 and it worked fine in full auto so next deal, I'm in for more.

I've started to pool all my mags together so now my big question is how to store them all.  Actually the AR mags aren't a problem as they won't rust but I've got steel mags for other guns that will rust and I'm not sure how to store them.  Suggestions are welcome.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top