Posted: 11/8/2013 10:25:05 AM EDT
courtesy of Duracoat.

</a>  Uploaded with ImageShack.us" />
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#1]
nice. I'd like to do that to some also
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 9:18:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I actually used Duracoat "Magpul Flat Dark Earth" but it doesn't actually match my magpul FDE gear. The color still looks good with my FDE Tavor though. I masked off most of the portion that sits in the gun as well as the feed lips. Removed spring, follower and base plate prior to painting.
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 10:03:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice. I'll stick to Gen II since they're available out of the wrap in FDE.
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 10:51:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Black is the strongest plastic they use. Make mine black please.
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 4:50:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Why would color affect the integrity of the plastic?
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 8:56:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Because different dyes create different chemical structures?
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 10:34:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not like just using food dye
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 7:12:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Contrary to what the others are saying, Magpul's new polymers don't compromise integrity for colors. In fact, I believe that was only an issue on the original Gen 1. At least that's what Magpul said.
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 10:29:15 PM EDT
[#9]
hahahha nice !!!
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 2:54:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any thoughts on the life expectancy of the plastic.. Not talking round count or use but if you were to put some away in a box for the future are they going to become brittle in 20, 50 or 75 years???
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 3:27:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm assuming with PMags the dye is an integral part of the polymer and not painted on? Unfortunately, one scratch will reveal the underlying color. Not so when the dye is impregnated in the polymer.

Otherwise, nice and purdy.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm assuming with PMags the dye is an integral part of the polymer and not painted on? Unfortunately, one scratch will reveal the underlying color. Not so when the dye is impregnated in the polymer.

View Quote

Duracoat has proven to be pretty darn durable in my experience. However, I don't baby my equipment. It gets used. And I don't mind a little color coming off if the mag gets beat up.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 9:52:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Contrary to what the others are saying, Magpul's new polymers don't compromise integrity for colors. In fact, I believe that was only an issue on the original Gen 1. At least that's what Magpul said.
View Quote

I remember something about the issue of weak plastic being primarily in Magpul's translucent/transparent magazines, which is why they did not release them.  The polymer for those would, understandably, be substantially different than opaque mags.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 10:56:18 AM EDT
[#14]

I am sure that thermoplastic that Magpul uses includes antioxidants and UV stabilzers regardless of color.  Black is naturally UV resistant and typically doesn't require as much colorant vs. lighter colors.  More colorant and the carrier used with the colorant means less of the base resin.  You may be able to see a very small difference in long-term accelerated life testing, but it is very unlikely that there would ever be a real world difference.

I have black and other colors of Pmags.  Just my $.02.
Link Posted: 12/25/2013 7:14:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Correct. Videos of stippling, and pics of dyed FDE Pmags whittled to show depth of dyeing are proof.

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/30/2013 12:02:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 2:06:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Nice.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 9:25:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Without getting into much detail, colors will always affect the part during molding.

Sometimes the difference is too small to detect but other high stress items the difference is measurable.

Black is always the strongest (outside of neutral -nocolor) due to the carbon molecule size.

Dying afterwards and painting does not affect the strength of the part after it is molded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Without getting into much detail, colors will always affect the part during molding.

Sometimes the difference is too small to detect but other high stress items the difference is measurable.

Black is always the strongest (outside of neutral -nocolor) due to the carbon molecule size.

Dying afterwards and painting does not affect the strength of the part after it is molded.

So FDE M2 PMAG's are weaker?
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 12:23:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Any thoughts on the life expectancy of the plastic.. Not talking round count or use but if you were to put some away in a box for the future are they going to become brittle in 20, 50 or 75 years???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm very curious about this as well...
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know I won't be around in 75 years. 50 is questionable.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 7:50:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weird to see this thread.  My engineer wife (no pics pervs) and I were just having this conversation about polymer mags over breakfast.  According to her it's a similar reason the old Polaroid instant cameras were never made in some lighter colors even though consumers desired some other cool colors when that product was popular.  Lighter colors were less durable (and could also expose the film inside the camera).  

Engineers gonna engineer.  Glad all you smart people are looking out for the rest of us and are also constantly building better polymers to minimize this issue.

ETA:
Nice paint job on those 30 & 40 rounders.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 10:13:24 AM EDT
[#22]
I like the trick with the box. I just painted a few and wasted time taping and hanging them off a step ladder. OP's technique is much smarter.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#23]
What duracoat did you use?
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 10:03:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I actually used Duracoat "Magpul Flat Dark Earth" but it doesn't actually match my magpul FDE gear. The color still looks good with my FDE Tavor though. I masked off most of the portion that sits in the gun as well as the feed lips. Removed spring, follower and base plate prior to painting.
View Quote

FYI, response above...
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 6:14:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

FYI, response above...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FYI, response above...

Thank you.   Is that an aerosol can or sprayer.  Sorry for the new  questions.  I haven't even thought about doing this to mags.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top