Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2013 12:15:18 AM EDT
Which brands are specifically good to go?
What is range fodder?
And what should be avoided like the plague?

(I know, everyone is going to say pmag. They are gtg, but I have more than a few, these are just to throw into reserve)
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 12:51:10 AM EDT
[#1]
IMHO

GTG [Modern]:

Colt
NHMTG
D&H
OKay
Brownells

Known Turds:

Sanchez

Potential Turds:

ASC [improved quality has been discussed here]
- I use their grendel magazines, with a few feeding issues
C-Products [some love them, others not so much, lots of threads debating their quality]
- I have their grendel magazines, and prefer them over ASC
Stoner [just internet rumblings, I own some, but I haven't used them]

just one shooters .02

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 3:46:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
IMHO

GTG [Modern]:

Colt
NHMTG
D&H
OKay
Brownells

Known Turds:

Sanchez

Potential Turds:

C-Products [some love them, others not so much, lots of threads debating their quality]

just one shooters .02

Well put and spot on.

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 3:56:21 AM EDT
[#3]
My Thermolds are tough as nails and 0% failure through lots of rounds.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 4:13:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Loved the old Colt 20 rounders with the aluminum followers.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 5:56:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Center makes decent mags, not as nice as Okay but they work.

Pro-mags are trash.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 11:39:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

But your thermolds never have been and never will be USGI mags as were asked about by the op.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 3:13:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But your thermolds never have been and never will be USGI mags as were asked about by the op.

This.

Reason I asked about USGI mags is that they are easier to store in bulk.
No ridges on the sides to get caught on other mags, nor to add unneeded bulk.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Palmetto has 10 packs of D&H 30 rounders w/ magpul followers for $90.  Hard to beat that.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 3:58:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Known Turds:

Sanchez

And yet, I have 6 Sanchez mags that work flawlessly.

Even have some Coopers with the 3 spot welds that work great.

Each mag is different I guess.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Palmetto has 10 packs of D&H 30 rounders w/ magpul followers for $90.  Hard to beat that.

+1
This.
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 11:51:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Can someone tell me where Okay Ind mags can be purchased? 'aside from the EE I mean) I've never seen them sold by any dealers???
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 1:10:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Can someone tell me where Okay Ind mags can be purchased? 'aside from the EE I mean) I've never seen them sold by any dealers???

They are somewhat difficult to find as Okay is their Military sales division. They do show up new in the package from time to time.

NHMTG & Colt are both Okay brand.
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 5:22:22 AM EDT
[#13]
USGI Magazines look junky for the most part, but they work extremely well! The brand NHMTG actually sends their mags to Colt who then stamps them with their name if they meet Colt's specs. So when it comes to prices, Colt mags will generally cost you $2-$5 more than NHMTG mags when they are essentially the same exact thing.

All in all I have a few NHMTG and Colt mags and they work extremely well (Especially when upgraded with magpul followers).
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 5:49:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
USGI Magazines look junky for the most part, but they work extremely well! The brand NHMTG actually sends their mags to Colt who then stamps them with their name if they meet Colt's specs. So when it comes to prices, Colt mags will generally cost you $2-$5 more than NHMTG mags when they are essentially the same exact thing.

All in all I have a few NHMTG and Colt mags and they work extremely well (Especially when upgraded with magpul followers).

Actually, the stamping occurs during the multi step manufacturing process, NOT after Colt receives them.

And every Colt I've seen has Okay stamped to the inside, not NHMTG.

It appears that Okay Industries sells their magazines to Ronan Corporation who markets them as NHMTG.

BTW, NHMTG is not a current approved supplier to the U.S. Military even though Colt & Okay Industries are.
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 12:55:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I got rid of all my "improved follower" Brownell and Okay after I couldn't get a single one to lock on a closed bolt when loaded to 28-30. After I couldn't get them to lock in my DD, PSA's or Sig's I couldn't justify keeping them and sold them off for what I had picked them up for and got more D&H and NHMTG/Okay USGI with the Magpul green follower.
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 1:30:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I got rid of all my "improved follower" Brownell and Okay after I couldn't get a single one to lock on a closed bolt when loaded to 28-30. After I couldn't get them to lock in my DD, PSA's or Sig's I couldn't justify keeping them and sold them off for what I had picked them up for and got more D&H and NHMTG/Okay USGI with the Magpul green follower.

I modify ALLof my Okay mags with Magpul Gen III followers and Magpul Ranger L floorplates.

Link Posted: 7/8/2013 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
IMHO

GTG [Modern]:

Colt
NHMTG
D&H
OKay
Brownells

Known Turds:

Sanchez

Potential Turds:

just one shooters .02

And a blast from the past, Adventureline. They've always worked well for me.
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, the stamping occurs during the multi step manufacturing process, NOT after Colt receives them.

It appears that Okay Industries sells their magazines to Ronan Corporation who markets them as NHMTG.

BTW, NHMTG is not a current approved supplier to the U.S. Military even though Colt & Okay Industries are.

Okay industries is a metal company that simply cuts metal parts. From there, the mag components are shipped to Colt, NHMTG, and other small companies for assembly and whatnot. I will quote another site that had this discussion: Link here

Here is another AR15.com link that showed the same discussion Link here

So yes, OKAY=NHMTG=Colt But not in the opposite. Okay is just components, NHMTG is a finished mag, Colt is an approved military mag with the Colt name.
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 7:26:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay industries is a metal company that simply cuts metal parts. From there, the mag components are shipped to Colt, NHMTG, and other small companies for assembly and whatnot. I will quote another site that had this discussion: Link here

So yes, OKAY=NHMTG=Colt But not in the opposite. Okay is just components, NHMTG is a finished mag, Colt is an approved military mag with the Colt name.

Frankly, I don't see where in the hell from your links you are reaching that conclusion

Okay Industries manufactures COMPLETE magazines, they even state on their web site they manufacture magazines!

Defense/Firearms Market Experience
Military and firearm manufacturers count on Okay
for repeatable quality and precision.

We manufacture:
• Magazines

• Receivers
• Trigger bars
• Pistol and rifle components
• Ordnance components

NHMTG does NOT supply Colt. Look inside a Colt mag and you will find the Okay stamp. In addition Okay and Colt share the exact same Cage Code, 33710. You will also find some NHMTG mags with the 33710 marking, BUT, NHMTG is not a current approved U.S. Military vendor.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 3:17:00 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stop spreading misinformation. Nowhere in those links does it support your claim at all.

Link Posted: 7/10/2013 5:52:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Frankly, I don't see where in the hell from your links you are reaching that conclusion

Okay Industries manufactures COMPLETE magazines, they even state on their web site they manufacture magazines!

We manufacture:
• Magazines

• Receivers
• Trigger bars
• Ordnance components

NHMTG does NOT supply Colt. Look inside a Colt mag and you will find the Okay stamp. In addition Okay and Colt share the exact same Cage Code, 33710. You will also find some NHMTG mags with the 33710 marking, BUT, NHMTG is not a current approved U.S. Military vendor.

In the link to AR15.com that I previously shared (Link)

A quote from rob78, "They're [COLT magazines are] made by Okay Ind. which I understand makes NHMTG (one of the best GI mags IMO).

You pay a premium for the meaningless pony. I say pass and pick up NHMTG, OKay, CProducts, D&H for half the cost.

ETA: Never used Bravo Co. mags so I can't comment on them."

Here is the NHMTG mag site where they give minimal information on the magazines

Here is a AR15 forum where they talk about the history of NHMTG

All in all, what do you see?
Okay mags provides material for Colt (which we agree on) and NHMTG. This means that they are the same thing, only one is cheaper and does not have a horse on it.

I did not try to come off as a jerk, I was telling you all what I understood and facts point to be true.
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Potential Turds:

AR Stoner is a house brand for MidwayUSA.  Used to be made by C-Products - have no idea these days.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:10:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I've always been a p-mag or Troy Battlemag guy but since I was placing an order with PSA anyways, I had to add this to my cart.  After the last scare, I figured that I might as well stock up.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#24]
I like the Brownells "Tactical" 30rd mags with CS springs and Magpul followers.  I think they run around $13 each on the website.  I usually stick to branded mags from reputable companies like BCM, DSG and Brownells.  Nice to know if you get a turd the company will make good on it.

I avoid used USGI mags unless I can get them dirt cheap.  You never know what type of use and/or abuse the mags have taken and its usually cheaper to buy a new mag from BCM ect than to rebuild a used one.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 8:43:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Known Turds:

Sanchez

My Sanchez never gave me an issue. They are good to go
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 8:48:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Originallated By PursuitSS:

We manufacture:
• Magazines

• Receivers
• Trigger bars
• Ordnance components

View All Quotes
Originallated By PursuitSS:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We manufacture:
• Magazines

• Receivers
• Trigger bars
• Ordnance components

I happen to live in CT and I can without question tell you that ok, colt, asc and nhgt all make the mags and some make them for each other.
Also, they buy all there prefabed sheets from a company in my hom town.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 9:08:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I had that exact same problem with my Center/Okay surplus mags yesterday, would not lock into the catch on a closed bolt w/30 loaded.  They lock fine with 28 or 29 and will lock on 30 with the bolt open.  WTF?  

Quoted:

I don't know where to buy them but my brother got 10 nib Okay mags at a gunshow in NC.  He kept 5 and sent me 5.  Said he gave $10 apiece.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 9:11:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Most of my mags are either Okay Industries or Colt, a coupel Adventure Line and MHMTGs (OE maker for Colt). I use PMags most of the time, but i keep a can of USGIs as a backup; most have Magpul followers and new springs, so they should last me a while.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 9:36:14 AM EDT
[#29]
I've used Brownells 30 rd for years with great success, BUT

I got a bad batch earlier this year, as did others - I can't find the thread due to being on my phone
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:26:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I happen to live in CT and I can without question tell you that ok, colt, asc and nhgt all make the mags and some make them for each other.
View Quote

AND I can tell you without question, That ONLY Okay Industries manufactures Colt magazines, Colt Magazines are stamped Okay on the inside.
AND I can tell you without question, That NHMTG magazines are manufactured by Okay Industries
AND I can tell you without question, ASC DOES NOT MANUFACTURE MAGAZINES FOR COLT, OKAY INDUSTRIES OR NHMTG!!!

And you further state they "Buy all of there their "prefabed" sheets from a company in my hom home town"

If you are stating that the sheets are anything other than flat sheet aluminum, you obviously haven't seen a set of magazine stamping dies.

Link Posted: 8/1/2013 9:01:55 PM EDT
[#31]
I buy some NHMTG mags every so often and never had any problems with them. The 30 round ones have Magpul followers installed. I did buy some 20 round mags this time. I have no experience with 20 round magazines but hopefully they will be trouble free like the 30 round ones are.
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 5:28:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I buy some NHMTG mags every so often and never had any problems with them. The 30 round ones have Magpul followers installed. I did buy some 20 round mags this time. I have no experience with 20 round magazines but hopefully they will be trouble free like the 30 round ones are.
View Quote

They should be GTG
Link Posted: 8/4/2013 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

AND I can tell you without question, That ONLY Okay Industries manufactures Colt magazines, Colt Magazines are stamped Okay on the inside.
AND I can tell you without question, That NHMTG magazines are manufactured by Okay Industries
AND I can tell you without question, ASC DOES NOT MANUFACTURE MAGAZINES FOR COLT, OKAY INDUSTRIES OR NHMTG!!!

And you further state they "Buy all of there their "prefabed" sheets from a company in my hom home town"

If you are stating that the sheets are anything other than flat sheet aluminum, you obviously haven't seen a set of magazine stamping dies.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sir, I brought to you evidence. The other gentleman brought to you his experience from his home town. You fail to recognize either. At this point, even if you are right (which I still believe you are not), you have lost all legitimacy in your argument by tainting them with insults and your own emotion. Calm down, take a deep breath, and realize that you may in fact be incorrect. It is not the end of the world. This forum isn't about arguing and disputing things that really don't matter in the end, it is about entertainment. We went off on a tangent about how NHMTG, Okay, and Colt are the same/different. In reality, take off the base plates, take off the stamps, do you think you will be able to identify which is which? No. Do those stamps add reliability? No. Those stamps only mean that they met a standard of some form (depending on which company they came from).

We are comparing apples to apples here. Whether they are golden delicious, granny smith, or Macintosh, they all serve the same purpose and do it just as well as the other.

If I had my way, I would suggest MagPul mags any day of the week. Why? Not because I have seen any better reliability (because I have yet to see a magazine be the reason behind a jam in my many years of shooting the M16/M4/AR15 platform), but because they look better in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/4/2013 5:11:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Sir, I brought to you evidence. The other gentleman brought to you his experience from his home town. You fail to recognize either. At this point, even if you are right (which I still believe you are not), you have lost all legitimacy in your argument by tainting them with insults and your own emotion. Calm down, take a deep breath, and realize that you may in fact be incorrect. It is not the end of the world. This forum isn't about arguing and disputing things that really don't matter in the end, it is about entertainment. We went off on a tangent about how NHMTG, Okay, and Colt are the same/different. In reality, take off the base plates, take off the stamps, do you think you will be able to identify which is which? No. Do those stamps add reliability? No. Those stamps only mean that they met a standard of some form (depending on which company they came from).

We are comparing apples to apples here. Whether they are golden delicious, granny smith, or Macintosh, they all serve the same purpose and do it just as well as the other.

If I had my way, I would suggest MagPul mags any day of the week. Why? Not because I have seen any better reliability (because I have yet to see a magazine be the reason behind a jam in my many years of shooting the M16/M4/AR15 platform), but because they look better in my opinion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right is Right!

Link Posted: 8/4/2013 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right is Right!

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q125/PursuitSS/1ccc6a37b6cbeca2c5b9660d5a683a42.jpg

Link Posted: 8/4/2013 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#36]
13er's

As was pointed out ALSO by JBclark84, you are WRONG!

Firefoxammo showed he didn't even have a basic understanding of how magazines are manufactured, AND to insinuate that ASC is involved in the production of USGI approved magazines THAT is the dumbest thing I have EVER heard!

A friend of mine Matt Cammenga designed the Cammenga Easymag. It takes multiple stamping operations to manufacture a magazine. AND you start with a flat sheet of "sheet metal", NOT something "prefabed" (NOT my misspelling, just quoting)
Link Posted: 8/4/2013 5:54:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I quit, you can't reason with ignorant and stubborn.
Link Posted: 8/4/2013 8:30:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some guy on the internet said it, it must be true. While I will possibly believe that they buy their sheet metal from the same place, I will never believe that ASC makes mags for NHMTG/OKay, nor will I believe the opposite.
Link Posted: 8/4/2013 8:38:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Some guy on the internet said it, it must be true. While I will possibly believe that they buy their sheet metal from the same place, I will never believe that ASC makes mags for NHMTG/OKay, nor will I believe the opposite.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It could be very well possible that the source for the aluminum sheet would be the same vendor. THAT would make sense.

But it would be flat aluminum sheets. not "prefabed".
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 11:38:39 AM EDT
[#40]
I think my 6920's out of spec cause this Canadian thermold doesn't drop free. It is Canadian though... Who knows what those guys are up to.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 10:01:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I think my 6920's out of spec cause this Canadian thermold doesn't drop free. It is Canadian though... Who knows what those guys are up to.
View Quote

Yeah, umm... That.  Canadians...
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 1:49:01 PM EDT
[#42]
ASC and Okay industries both have manufacturing facilities in New Britian Ct.. That is the only thing they have in common.

As stated before Okay=Colt=NHMTG. The only difference is the floorplate and maybe the follower. Okay marked mags have the military follower, the NHMTG marked mags have magpul followers. I own both of these mags, but not the Colt marked mags so I cannot comment on any differences the Colt Mags may have. All of these mags are made by Okay industries.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
ASC and Okay industries both have manufacturing facilities in New Britian Ct.. That is the only thing they have in common.

As stated before Okay=Colt=NHMTG. The only difference is the floorplate and maybe the follower. Okay marked mags have the military follower, the NHMTG marked mags have magpul followers. I own both of these mags, but not the Colt marked mags so I cannot comment on any differences the Colt Mags may have. All of these mags are made by Okay industries.

Mike
View Quote

Huge +1

Link Posted: 8/10/2013 8:28:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

They should be GTG[Mimg]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_big.gif[/img]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They should be GTG[Mimg]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_big.gif[/img]

I finally had a chance to test out my 20 round NHMTG mags and yes the are GTG.

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top