User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2012 12:31:25 PM EDT
Are they marked anywhere?  TIA - Dave
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Gen 1's use a black follower, Gen 2's foliage green greyish.

Gen 3 has a black follower again I believe but can be easily identified by the grip enhancement stippling, and the smaller base plate.

Gen 1 non window mags also still have the window molded in, it's just not cut out.

All PMAG's are daye coded for month and year, but I don't have the specific dates at which the changes were made.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 12:59:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Gen 1's use a black follower, Gen 2's foliage green greyish.

Gen 3 has a black follower again I believe but can be easily identified by the grip enhancement stippling, and the smaller base plate.

Gen 1 non window mags also still have the window molded in, it's just not cut out.

All PMAG's are daye coded for month and year, but I don't have the specific dates at which the changes were made.

I have some 20 round pmags ordered recently that also have recent dates, but have black followers? How do you identify gen2 20 rounders?

Link Posted: 12/21/2012 1:49:49 PM EDT
[#3]
For Gen 2 20 rounders I have no idea to be honest.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 2:16:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 2:52:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Magpul. U guys rock.  Your response to these unfortunate events only reinforces my respect for the company.
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 12:49:40 AM EDT
[#7]
How do I get a replacement follower for a gen 2 windowless pmag? Bought some from a gunshow months ago got around to load them up found one was missing follower. Who sells them?
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:01:38 AM EDT
[#8]
eh, I think they were more transitions than that and some at some points there were hybrid changes.  20 round mags are different from the very first 30 rd magpuls I got.  

now I am taking into account windowed mags also.

But there are definitely more than 3 unique versions of magpuls across all types when it comes to feed lips, covers and baseplates.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 2:02:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I will show my rust by asking a dumb question.... I have 10 Gen1's I bought and stuck away. Just found them recently. Were there problems with the first gen?

Thanks,
Bill
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 2:57:52 PM EDT
[#10]
no problems...top mag cover won't fit on the bottom like it will in gen 2.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:19:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We stopped making Gen 1's in 2008 so any marked after that are MRevs or M2 (MOE). MRevs are the most common mag out there and the most widely fielded polymer magazine in US combat history. In Iraq and Afghanistan the PMag out numbered all other Polymer magazines fielded, combined, by a large margin. M Rev included the NSN numbered/marked magazines that are only available in Black (windowed and non windowed)

M2/MOE Mags are MRev mags that use the newer material and processing. (this change over happened about 9 months ago).

EMags were the first PMag variant designed for the HK 416/SA80A2 mag well but could be used in the AR15/M16 (Gen 1s had one window, Gen 2- Made for the UK 2010 SA80A2 contract had 2 windows)

M3 is a combination of the EMag and PMag technologies and updated material and processes. M3 mags are marked M3 and usually has the gird pattern at the base of the magazine.

They are all great !!! Can you make them faster please...
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Magpul 30 round Magazines

Gen  "1"    made till sometime in 2008 Use a black follower. Have windows and non window. the non windowed ones have a window but is not cut out. Dust cap does not snap on bottom

MRevs   have NSN numbered/marked magazine made both windowed and non windowed.

EMags  were the first PMag variant designed for the HK 416/SA80A2 mag well but could be used in the AR15/M16 (Gen 1s had one window, Gen 2- Made for the UK 2010 SA80A2 contract had 2 windows)

Gen "2" MOE magazine. Started being manufactured in 2008 these are the MRevs used a  Gen 2's foliage green greyish  follower. material change in March of 2012 to a updated material and process.

Gen "3" marked M3 is a combination of the EMag and PMag technologies and updated material and processes. Most have  grip enhancement stippling, and all have the smaller base plate.

All PMAG's are date coded for month and year

I tried to sum up all of the information in this thread in one post. Please feel free to correct add to or remove to help us get a clearer picture

thanks
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:20:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 10:48:47 AM EDT
[#14]
So the only difference between the Gen 1 magazines and the Gen 2 (until spring 2012) is the ridges and the notch on the bottom?
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 12:11:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Are there any reliability improvements from the Gen 1's to the Gen 3's?  

regards
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 10:30:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/26/2013 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So the only difference between the Gen 1 magazines and the Gen 2 (until spring 2012) is the ridges and the notch on the bottom?

Also, the Maglink magazine coupler will fit in the Gen 2s, but not on the Gen 1s. I believe it does fit on the Gen 3s, but I do not know if it fits on the emags. I only own Gen 1s and Gen 2s, so someone please correct me if I am wrong about anything.

Here are two Gen 2s that are coupled with a Maglink and a Gen 1 with a Ranger Plate.
For the fashion conscious, the mags are all Olive Drab / OD and the accessories are all Black.

Edited...'cause I'm a dumb-ass, baby. Been stoopid since the day ahz born.
Link Posted: 1/26/2013 6:38:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We stopped making Gen 1's in 2008 so any marked after that are MRevs or M2 (MOE). MRevs are the most common mag out there and the most widely fielded polymer magazine in US combat history. In Iraq and Afghanistan the PMag out numbered all other Polymer magazines fielded, combined, by a large margin. M Rev included the NSN numbered/marked magazines that are only available in Black (windowed and non windowed)

M2/MOE Mags are MRev mags that use the newer material and processing. (this change over happened about 9 months ago).

EMags were the first PMag variant designed for the HK 416/SA80A2 mag well but could be used in the AR15/M16 (Gen 1s had one window, Gen 2- Made for the UK 2010 SA80A2 contract had 2 windows)

M3 is a combination of the EMag and PMag technologies and updated material and processes. M3 mags are marked M3 and usually has the gird pattern at the base of the magazine.

Is it safe to assume M2's with the NSN stamp are the new material and no stamp means they're the old material?
Link Posted: 1/26/2013 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#19]
something was done different regarding the feed lip area because true Gen 1s wont run in my FNC even though they fit no problem.  20 round mags run so they are definitely not identical to Gen 1s in this regard.
Link Posted: 1/27/2013 6:53:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:All PMAG's are date coded for month and year

Where on the magazine is this date code? Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2013 7:21:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:All PMAG's are date coded for month and year

Where on the magazine is this date code? Thanks.

One of the circles under the mag catch. They're visible in the above images.
Link Posted: 1/27/2013 9:28:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:One of the circles under the mag catch. They're visible in the above images.

Thanks, easy to read with a magnifing glass. Learned something new today.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top