Page:  / 24
Author
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/13/2012 10:37:15 AM
Originally Posted By bluefalcon:

No, the test isn't perfect.
Yes, it's still interesting.
Yes, the Magpul guys still sound whiny by complaining about it.

I wouldn't disagree with anything you said. One thing I think you can conclude is that all of the magazines are boringly pretty much the same and can take a ton of abuse before they stop working. If you were to test them to where you could definatively state Magazine A is better than Magazine B you would need a larger sample size.
bluefalcon
No bounce. No play.
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/13/2012 12:54:02 PM
Originally Posted By KurtVF:

I wouldn't disagree with anything you said. One thing I think you can conclude is that all of the magazines are boringly pretty much the same and can take a ton of abuse before they stop working. If you were to test them to where you could definatively state Magazine A is better than Magazine B you would need a larger sample size.

Exactly. What difference you might find would be pretty minimal, except possibly the metal magazines, but they even did better than expected.
"I have always believed that real political discourse in the houses should involve fisticuffs. Otherwise, you have a bunch of co-conspirators or apathetic mouth breathers." - ValleyGunner
dpmmn
NRA Life Member
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/13/2012 7:17:21 PM

Exactly. What difference you might find would be pretty minimal, except possibly the metal magazines, but they even did better than expected.

The keyword of this test is "unscientific"
IYAOYAS
R.I.P. Nimrod1193
KurtVF
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/14/2012 7:04:22 PM
This thread should be saved in the "resources" section. It is the best and most useful thread I've seen on the mag forum. Yes, I know it is not "scientific" but that's been pointed out already ad nauseum.
dpmmn
NRA Life Member
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/14/2012 10:11:34 PM

This thread should be saved in the "resources" section. It is the best and most useful thread I've seen on the mag forum. Yes, I know it is not "scientific" but that's been pointed out already ad nauseum.

I'm one step ahead of you, I made it so the thread will never go into archive and will stay active, when the interest drops off I will add a link to it in the resource page
IYAOYAS
R.I.P. Nimrod1193
WI57
Breath, Relax, Aim, Squeeze...
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/15/2012 2:47:12 PM
[Last Edit: 9/15/2012 2:51:28 PM by WI57]
UPDATE

As some of you may have figured out, I was contacted by three of the manufacturers of the magazines in this test.
I hadn't even sent in the damaged magazines yet and they had already contacted me.

The first company I was in contact with was Magpul, basically through their interaction in this thread.
They made true on their promise to replace the damaged magazine, and actually went above and beyond what I expected from them.

The second companies were a tie between Lancer and TangoDown; both IM'd me the same day.

Lancer replaced my damaged magazine and sent a few other assorted magazines to experiment with.

Tango Down sent replacement mags, a t-shirt and some stickers. TangoDown was also interested in getting the damaged magazine parts back to inspect.

And now I know why...

Late last week I received an unexpected box from TangoDown.

Inside this box was a magazine labled "Bionic" mag.

I opened it up, and lo and behold they did something I didn't think was possible...

They REBUILT my destroyed magazine!

I am truly amazed that they were able to reconstruct it into a usable magazine.
It no longer drops free in my rifle (probably from the Barrett blast), but I am betting that it will still function.
So my next range visit will be to check the function of a magazine brought back from the dead.

I will be mailing the Troy, Tapco, and Center Industry mags back to their manufacturers next week and will see what they say in reply.
The letter I am including says this:

[Mag mfg],

I recently tested one of your magazines for chemical resistance and durability. The test involved submerging the magazine in various chemicals, subjecting the magazine to drop tests, blasting the magazine with a muzzle brake of a 7” AR pistol, dropping a simulated live weight ammo can on them, and finally laying the magazine on the brake of an M82 Barrett and firing it. I documented this test on AR15.com in AR discussions, under the magazine forum. Prior to the Barrett test, [I then included a magazine-specific description of how the manufacturer's magazines had performed.] Unfortunately, none of the magazines were functional after the Barrett test. I am returning this magazine to you in case you would like to take a look at the damage it suffered during the test.

Thank You.

Respectfully,

WI57

A gigantic "Thank You" goes out to all the manufacturers that have been watching and following this.

Eta-spelling
Its not the guy that walks in with a gun and says he is going to start shooting that you have to worry about.
Its the guy that just walks in and just starts shooting.
35mm_Shooter
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/15/2012 3:00:35 PM
LOL, faster better stronger?
Another-Bill
What Would Keith Richards Do?
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/15/2012 3:25:49 PM
This thread is "Too Cool For School."

Thanks a million.

Bill
Happiness is a warm gun,
Bang bang, shoot shoot.

The Beatles
Nov. 1968
bluefalcon
No bounce. No play.
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/15/2012 4:42:17 PM
So I can score some free mags from Lancer by ridiculously abusing their mags? Awesome! Here comes the "Cement mixer and 300 pounds of river rock test."

"I have always believed that real political discourse in the houses should involve fisticuffs. Otherwise, you have a bunch of co-conspirators or apathetic mouth breathers." - ValleyGunner
WI57
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/15/2012 5:24:00 PM
[Last Edit: 9/15/2012 5:24:52 PM by WI57]
A cement mixer test would be good. If I knew anyone with one I'd try it.

(But then why stop at just mags...

Eta- that would be a nightmare of scientific proportions...
Its not the guy that walks in with a gun and says he is going to start shooting that you have to worry about.
WI57
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/15/2012 7:27:12 PM
So I can score some free mags from Lancer by ridiculously abusing their mags? Awesome! Here comes the "Cement mixer and 300 pounds of river rock test."

The more I think about this the more I want to stress I never expected any of the magazine manufacturers to warranty any of these test mags.
These fall under the "intentional damage and abuse" category IMHO, and the fact that they even replaced the destroyed one was above and beyond.

When I started this it was for my own knowledge as I wanted to know what the plastic mags were capable of taking and still functioning.

But since I was doing it I figured I'd post the updates along the way so others can watch the carnage.

Take this test for what it is, a "Highly UN-scientific test".
InfiniteGrim
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/15/2012 8:53:25 PM
What mags did lancer send? If I was at home I would send you a L5a 20rd'r, so I'm hoping they send you one.
oogabooga289
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/15/2012 9:00:33 PM
Originally Posted By WI57:

The more I think about this the more I want to stress I never expected any of the magazine manufacturers to warranty any of these test mags.
These fall under the "intentional damage and abuse" category IMHO, and the fact that they even replaced the destroyed one was above and beyond.

When I started this it was for my own knowledge as I wanted to know what the plastic mags were capable of taking and still functioning.

But since I was doing it I figured I'd post the updates along the way so others can watch the carnage.

Take this test for what it is, a "Highly UN-scientific test".

This. I know bluefalcon most likely said in jest, but it didn't settle well with me either as I wouldn't put it past some people to believe it to be true. I'm thoroughly impressed by the response, good humor, and warmheartedness of the manufacturers that got involved in this on their own volition, and I would hate it if someone took advantage of these qualities for selfish means and ruin it for the WI57's of the world. Once again, I'm certain bluefalcon was making a funny. That being said, play on, and keep up the comms with the manufacturers! I love it when companies take the time out to read the non-industry forums and get involved
Suburban
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/15/2012 9:26:36 PM
Originally Posted By WI57:

Inside this box was a magazine labled "Bionic" mag.
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg76/gi57/MagTest/P9152129.jpg

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg76/gi57/MagTest/P9152130.jpg

I opened it up, and lo and behold they did something I didn't think was possible...
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg76/gi57/MagTest/P9152131.jpg

They REBUILT my destroyed magazine!

Ahhhh! Zombie mag. First Rule: Double Tap!!

KurtVF
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/21/2012 9:33:43 AM
I'm really surprised the USGI mag with the tan follower seemed to hold up better than the USGI with the green follower. And I think it is pretty obvious it was stronger despite the small sample size. Are the new mag bodies built to a diffrent spec than the old ones?????
TexasTerror
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/21/2012 10:58:28 PM
Thanks for the entertainment. I really enjoyed the thread so far and think it is really cool to see the manufacturers come through and replace or rebuild your mags even though you were purposely setting out to destroy them. I do realize you have spent a lot of time, money, and resources doing these tests and appreciate it.

I think in reality all of the mags performed pretty well. All I have currently are a few Pmags and some of the older clear Lancers. This has me wanting to expand and get a few different brands.
chris_germany
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/29/2012 1:09:40 AM
[Last Edit: 9/29/2012 1:10:06 AM by chris_germany]
Thanks for this awesome test! I (and a few AR-15 shooters from my Club) really enjoy this test. After every training we´re looking for news in this thread. And if there is a new test, we project the thread with a beamer on a wall in the clubhouse. We really enjoy it!

A cement mixer test would be good. If I knew anyone with one I'd try it.

Ask in your local DIY-Market. If you have luck, you can rent a cement mixer for a day or a weekend.

Regards from europe,
Chris
Kuraki
No mas pantalones
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/29/2012 1:30:20 AM
Props to Tango Down! That's pretty damned cool and shows a passion for manufacturing. I dig it.
DanTSX - "Acquiring better guns by burying the shitty ones behind you is the path to enlightenment."
LaRue customer for life!
Harm seek, harm find
MikefromTX
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/3/2012 2:47:14 PM
Entirely epic thread. Even though unscientific, it was very well done, and we appreciate it.

Big thumbs up!
cletussd
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/4/2012 12:08:38 AM
Originally Posted By MikefromTX:
Entirely epic thread. Even though unscientific, it was very well done, and we appreciate it.

Big thumbs up!

I dont think WI57 is done yet.
I think 'hope' hes working on doing round 2.
deuc224
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/4/2012 5:20:20 AM
I know people swing on the whole "scientific" way of doing this, but life isnt always scientific so any of those situations could " technically" happen. Great job.
WI57
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/4/2012 7:58:34 PM
Ok just an update.

I am trying to gather some things together to do some more tests, and to make some fixtures to increase repeatability.

Looking into doing the cement mixer test too...

I will start an entire new thread with the next series.

Thanks again all for following.
chris_germany
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/5/2012 2:08:01 PM
Originally Posted By WI57: Thanks again all for following. [/span]

No, no, no! WE have to thank YOU for this test!

cletussd
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/5/2012 2:59:03 PM
Originally Posted By chris_germany:
Originally Posted By WI57: Thanks again all for following. [/span]

No, no, no! WE have to thank [span style='font-size: 12pt;']YOU[/span] for this test!

+1
zachsmith526
I'm your huckleberry...
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/8/2012 9:57:08 AM
Just read all 18 pages. This thread rocks! Thanks!
Oh my God. It even has a watermark.
Page:  / 24