BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/30/2011 10:30:48 AM EDT

Link Posted: 10/30/2011 11:07:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Good Review!

Thanks for sharing, I was curious about how reliable those would end up being.
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 11:12:33 AM EDT
[#2]
glad to see a good review and not an endorsement, thanks!
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I am hoping these may come down a bit. I would love some 60 round mags but $130 is kind of steep and hard for me to justify. Now the 100 round mag is probably what I will be going for.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:05:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice review!

Here's some stills of the guts and followers:

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 10:52:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Great review! Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 5:59:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Good unbiased review.  My experience is a little better with steel cased ammo, although I have used Brown Bear instead of Wolf.  No FTF/FTE problems at all with 120 rounds so far.  They do feel stiffer going in.  My only real issue with the mag is that it doesn't drop free from my Bushmaster AR when empty.  However, it does drop free from another AR lower with Tactics LLC roll marks.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:23:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 6:04:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow! I was ready to get one. I may wait now. Just took a Magpul class and Chris Costa had been testing them for a awhile. Him and Fisher swore by them.
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Testing the surefire one or the magpull one?
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 8:58:08 PM EDT
[#10]
given the price ill pass considering the reliability issues they seem to have.

its a damn shame really, if you pay $100+ for a mag it should run 100% for a long time
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 9:24:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Testing the surefire one or the magpull one?

We can only wish there was a Magpul one being tested.
Magpul needs to step up to the plate here.

Link Posted: 11/8/2011 4:23:47 AM EDT
[#12]
They are developing a quad stack 60.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 6:33:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Blueprints were posted for one, but we don't know for sure if they are actually developing it.
We can only hope. I would buy a Magpul one over the Surefire in a heart beat.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 6:45:48 AM EDT
[#14]
I prefer the look of the USGI style surefire over any polymer mag, however, if they are not 100% reliable then they are no good.  I have a feeling though that they will work the rest of the problems out with these mags.  Most people have reported no problems with a lot of use, even full auto, and since these were just recently released it's not unexpected that there would be minor teething issues.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Excellent review as usual. Thank you for the unbiased, accurate assessment.

Surefire is way out of line with the pricing on these. Even if they functioned. Much like their flashlights. (which do work but are over priced.)  Back to the drawing board and then rethink price on these Surefire.  No thanks.
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Buddy of mine has one and will not run in his DPMS.  Did the same thing to me as in the video in my RRA that has never misfed with Pmags or USGI-magpul follower mags.  Damn shame I kind of want one just as said in the video a novelty item.

Link Posted: 12/25/2011 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#17]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_17/556892_Got_our_second_malfunctioning_Surefire_60_rd_mag.html
Hmmm... I was hoping I was seeing some kind of isolated incident.

The whole point of the 60 is to have the same firepower offered by two 30 rounders, but saving the seconds required to perform a reload. If you have just ONE malfunction, you now have the EXACT same firepower formula, at 10X the cost. A second malf puts you even further behind the curve.
Like my Gramma used to say, "FUCK THAT!"
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 9:55:42 PM EDT
[#18]
INTERESTING!  all the other reports I had seen were positive. I bought 3.  Been running 2 of them without any burps or farts.  

(semi only so far; haven't tested  select fire yet)
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 10:51:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I got one for $90 shipped...so not a bad price, but had to remove some weld slag on the inside toward the top...I've taken mine apart completely and the problem that I see, that could be or is an issue, is at the front top(feed side) where they riveted on a steel plate that has two integrated feed ramps. To help assist the follower past where the bottom of the plate is, they formed a ramp into the magazine body. This ramp is a little shallow and there is a big enough gap between the mag body ramp and the bottom of the riveted steel feed plate, at least on mine it is, that this allows the follower to hang up in that area if the follower is forward as it moves upward. What I did to the follower, and what I told Surefire they should do, is to either mold a taper into the follower at the front so this will not happen at a tilt condition that the follower would not see, deepen/widen the follower channel that clears the rivets and or to put a bevel on the bottom end of the feed plate that they have riveted in front. They could also adjust that formed ramp section in the mag body, but then they could over do it and have...I guess, a less severe problem of the bullet tips/follower hitting on the way down when loading, but which is better than on the way up. This would be pricey fixing the main molds though.  I think the cheapest first thing would be to stamp the feed plate with a bevel in it at the bottom. This would, if they bevel it right, guaranty that the follower with its sharp front edge, would never get hung up in that area under normal follower tilt conditions.

Notice the problem in the video when shooting the Bushmaster. It was in the area where the follower moves across the riveted feed plate. This starts to happen (the bottom of feed plate) right at about round number 7. There are 3 rivets that still need to be cleared on the way to the top and most likely the cause of that malfunction.
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 1:51:48 AM EDT
[#20]
great review but I wouldn't have bothered testing with steal case ammo. its not the mags fault its the crap ammo. notice not one hiccup with the M193.  for the money id get a 100rnd drum mag.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top