Site Notices
7/29/2014 4:02:36 PM
Author
Posted: 7/14/2011 11:05:13 AM
i want to know what the difference 5.56 mags to 6.8spc mags? do they have different followers and springs?they all fit in a AR lower so they cant be much of difference and why cant you use Pmags?i might be beating a dead horse or just a idiot but i still want to know
WI57
Breath, Relax, Aim, Squeeze...
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/14/2011 11:28:05 AM
Originally Posted By jason_dunbar:
i want to know what the difference 5.56 mags to 6.8spc mags? do they have different followers and springs?they all fit in a AR lower so they cant be much of difference and why cant you use Pmags?i might be beating a dead horse or just a idiot but i still want to know

The biggest issue is the diameter of the round sis different, the 6.8 is larger.
The difference between the mags is the feed lips have been adjusted to accommodate the larger round.
There is also some internal differences in the stamping so the 6.8 rounds sit properly in the magazine.

I have read about people successfully using 5.56 mags to feed 6.8 but I'm not sure if I'd trust it.
Its not the guy that walks in with a gun and says he is going to start shooting that you have to worry about.
Its the guy that just walks in and just starts shooting.
Desert_AIP
I always get the shakes before a drop
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/14/2011 11:35:34 AM
[Last Edit: 7/14/2011 11:37:16 AM by Desert_AIP]
If you look at them side by side, the ribs on the sides of the magazine (USGI Style) are more shallow on the 6.8 to accommodate the fatter round.
The internal dimension of the magazine is therefore larger.
The external dimension is the same.
If you made a PMAG like this the wall thickness of the polymer would be too thin.

The followers and feedlips are different between the two, which is why you just cant put 6.8 rounds in a 5.56 magazine.

The PRI waffle mags are great 6.8 magazines.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me.
If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
- Robert A. Heinlein
813kimber
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/16/2011 11:58:21 PM
Can you alter a 5.56 mag to shoot 6.8 ?