BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 12
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 10:01:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ghetto] [#1]
Got my 100rd mag in yesterday, $140 shippd from primary arms.

I could only get 93rds in it and the last 8rds the spring pressure was so much that it kept popping my LULA off, took it to the range and the first 10-15rds gave me some issues but ater that it ran great, hopefully it just needs some kind of break in period where as my 60rd didn't.

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 10:24:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Ghetto:
Got my 100rd mag in yesterday, $140 shippd from primary arms.

I could only get 93rds in it and the last 8rds the spring pressure was so much that it kept popping my LULA off, took it to the range and the first 10-15rds gave me some issues but ater that it ran great, hopefully it just needs some kind of break in period where as my 60rd didn't.

Load it up and keep it loaded for several weeks. It will set the springs hopefully.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 11:45:45 AM EDT
[#3]
SureFire reviews their products that give users issues and get them back to the user quickly. One suggestion is to call SureFire customer service and return the magazine for review.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 2:46:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I could only get 93rds in

I got all 100 in using a spoon & stripper clips.  No loading or feeding issues with mine. No break in required on mine. Have 800 through the mag.
What ammo did you load? I used Silverbear, XM855 & XM193
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By fuzzy03cls:

I got all 100 in using a spoon & stripper clips.  No loading or feeding issues with mine. No break in required on mine. Have 800 through the mag.

Wolf
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 12:12:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotIssued] [#6]
Update on mine - I have a post somewhere.

First time was a PITA - using Silver bear and wolf. Lots of binding, rounds falling out, failure of spring to keep tension, difficult to load last few rounds.

After that time, I left it filled w/ M855, 60 rounds, for probably 2-3 months.  It wasn't intentional, just that our outdoor range closes for a few months in summer and I can't use the M855 in my indoor range.

Last weekend fired off all 60 rounds w/o a problem . Don't know if it was a fluke, or if the springs broke in a bit by sitting there fully loaded.  Either way, loading it off strippers was a breeze once I'd fired off my second full load.  Look forward to possibly trying it this weekend again.  Rifle was an LMT M4 profile upper/LRB lower.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 1:47:57 PM EDT
[#7]
finally got to fire mine last week end.
ammo used was Tulammo (works great in my bcm and gi/pmag mags)

loaded 60rds the night before with the mag lula and shot it the next day. Mag worked 100%

then I reloaded the same way and kept having problems: binding, rounds falling out, failure of spring to keep tension, difficult to load last few rounds.

Haven't tried yet with brass ammo.
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 11:22:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Are these Mags being used by any branches of the Military?

Link Posted: 10/22/2012 12:57:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Another-Bill] [#9]
My friend an myself are shooting his 11.5" NFA, no problems with the 60 rounder.

Link Posted: 10/22/2012 2:07:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By GGGBeo50:
.........Opened up the back door of the guest bedroom to the backyard with the 762SDN6 can in the 16" middy 5.56. Let her rip rapdifire till it was empty while I was standing inside because it was raining. Flawless performance. I'll pick up one more next check if there are any left. Also, Hot brass will burn a comforter, I checked. Also, 60 rounds of M855 makes some gas that wont disperse before the wife gets home. Im in the doghouse, ...............

Link Posted: 10/22/2012 2:26:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Lol
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By PraesulPresul1:
.........Opened up the back door of the guest bedroom to the backyard with the 762SDN6 can in the 16" middy 5.56. Let her rip rapdifire till it was empty while I was standing inside because it was raining. Flawless performance. I'll pick up one more next check if there are any left. Also, Hot brass will burn a comforter, I checked. Also, 60 rounds of M855 makes some gas that wont disperse before the wife gets home. Im in the doghouse, ...............

Thanks for the laugh...needed it today.

On the plus side I will remember this post and show it to my wife "if" I do something that she thinks is stupid.

Link Posted: 10/24/2012 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By Ghetto:

Originally Posted By fuzzy03cls:

Wolf

Well gee, that kind of is an important detail. The AR-15 wasn't designed for steel cased ammo. Try brass case and see if you have different results.

The majority of negative reviews I have seen on these magazines is people using steel-cased ammo. That really doesn't tell us much considering they are designed for brass cased and the steel cased will cause the rounds to stick.
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 9:31:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By Greg3:

Originally Posted By PraesulPresul1:

Thanks for the laugh...needed it today.

On the plus side I will remember this post and show it to my wife "if" I do something that she thinks is stupid.

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 8:18:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fuzzy03cls] [#15]
Ran the 100 again yesterday. Took some slack from the range guys that it was a POS that didn't work, Sorry I had to break it to them that I have had 800rds through the 100 & not a failure, then proceeded to dump another 100 at my steel target.... again failure free.
900 trouble free....Shut them up!
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 6:06:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Took my 100rd back to the range Wednesday and it worked 99%! It lost spring pressure once causing me to dump out a loose round but it regained spring pressure after that and worked flawlessly in both my Sig AR and my wifes pink AR
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 11:44:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I received my 60 today and made time to play with it.

A pal who has a couple of these gave me some advice.." load it and unload it manually a few times before using it..and don't use steel cased ammo"..

I did as suggested..and then took it to the range ealier this evening and the new Surefire 60 survived 120 shots failure-free!!

However I did notice that when loaded and you hand-strip a round out..the ammo column in the mag was real slow to push back up to the top!! I bet it couldn't keep up with a full-auto rifle.....And the top follower is definately not anti-tilt.

Though really..despite my doubts upon intitial inspection loading and unloading the pricy magazine..it did run perfectly in my A2 rifle. I can see how it could be problematic...but mine seems functional..and I'm hopeful mine will break-in smooth and continue to be reliable.

These are cool magazines though! I've wanted one since I first read of them. Seems well built/made...and now that I'm hands on an example of the sixty shot version...I'm pretty sure I don't want or need a 100 rounder!! Cool looking for sure the 100 rounders be...but the 60 is a nicer size for my zombie-killing.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 3:19:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 17Z:
I received my 60 today and made time to play with it.

A pal who has a couple of these gave me some advice.." load it and unload it manually a few times before using it..and don't use steel cased ammo"..

I did as suggested..and then took it to the range ealier this evening and the new Surefire 60 survived 120 shots failure-free!!

However I did notice that when loaded and you hand-strip a round out..the ammo column in the mag was real slow to push back up to the top!! I bet it couldn't keep up with a full-auto rifle.....And the top follower is definately not anti-tilt.

Though really..despite my doubts upon intitial inspection loading and unloading the pricy magazine..it did run perfectly in my A2 rifle. I can see how it could be problematic...but mine seems functional..and I'm hopeful mine will break-in smooth and continue to be reliable.

These are cool magazines though! I've wanted one since I first read of them. Seems well built/made...and now that I'm hands on an example of the sixty shot version...I'm pretty sure I don't want or need a 100 rounder!! Cool looking for sure the 100 rounders be...but the 60 is a nicer size for my zombie-killing.

Take a look at my video 8 posts above yours.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 8:56:07 AM EDT
[#19]
I saw that video!

My speculation about my new mag is just that...speculation. Based on the fact that my Surefire was slow-slow pushing rounds to the top the first couple times I 'excersised' the thing(loaded/unloaded).

In my rifle...it didn't fail...and I did try to make the rifle outrun the mag. I thought about doing a 'bump-fire'..but didn't. I really didn't want to see my 90 dollar mag fail!!..
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 2:24:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Bought myself a 60 ronder at my local dealer a while back.  Working ldve bottom ght the 100 but they only had the 60's.  First time I tried to load it I could only get 9 rounds in.  Disassembped it and found that the central divider moves forward just enough that the follower will not go down on it.  Put it in the right position and it now "eats" and feeds just fine.  Im storing it loaded but it seems to retain spring pressure just fine.  

Keeps up with my ar pistol when I bumpfire up until round 58 or 59..  the follower seems to dip forward and drag just enough to prevent these rounds from being caught by the bolt and fed into the chamber.  Ive only used some of the federal xm193 though.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 12:32:01 AM EDT
[#21]
I have 3, 1 I bought when they first came ,full retail the other 2 someone in tx 85 each, felt much better about price.I shot a few thru them,it seems if there loaded and ride around in the truck,etc they may get stacked,I'm at 30/70 right now,70 good,like some say when it stops it like its not pushing the rounds up, I took the mag out and it was droping rounds out and like the spring stuck,prob about half way thru, After that I lubed and paid more attention to loading it,most ran fine doing 60 round mag dumps,I learned that the bolt needs lube,newby yea,,,,,,  

I have a 1980 Colt SP1 FullAuto Machine gun,I inherited it from my Dad,It has very low round count,I never shot the 60 round with the original upper/barrel,it ran fine with 30rd mags,I didn't want to abuse the original upper, Bought a Bushmaster ar15 and put the upper on my Colt lower,got the Bush cheap and don't care if I burn it up,saving the sp1 upper. like my buddy/instructor said they use Bushmaster for failure test in school.not sure but the Bush has a 16in barrel and I've taken the flashhider off mainly because making vids at night,Fire, Now the Bush might make a diff in feeding.nore sure

I am wanting the 100 round and nobody has them,Brownells dealer 120 something, I remember Surefire having probs with the 60'z in the beginning, I figure there having trouble with the 100'z .figure the same as the 60'z.

I'm only doing mag dumps with these mags.

You can see in the vids how it works, one vid you can see it slow down ,I learned that from lack of lube,when that happened it didn't blow as much fire,I guessing that's what it was .the last time I shot it.it ran good till it cooked all the oil/lube off the bolt,lol

You can see a few vids on my Youtube page,Hope this helps

Rob

this one you can tell    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUpaTvJwDdE&feature=plcp
vid

Link Posted: 11/8/2012 12:41:19 AM EDT
[#22]
sorry im trying

http://www.youtube.com/user/StripPoker388/videos?view=0

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:58:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SC-Texas] [#23]
Here is some video from my Friday and Saturday range trips:

The 9.25" POF upper is a fire breather with that brake!

The 100rd mag was fun.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:35:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BlackRifle76] [#24]
So how are the 100 round mags working out for you guys who've been shooting them for a while now?

The one 60 rounder I purchased wouldn't function very well with Wolf ammo. I returned it.

I was wondering if these newer ones function any better. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:23:46 AM EDT
[#25]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BlackRifle76:

So how are the 100 round mags working out for you guys who've been shooting them for a while now?  

The one 60 rounder I purchased wouldn't function very well with Wolf ammo. I returned it.

I was wondering if these newer ones function any better. Thanks.

View Quote
I got a 60rd and a 100rd mag pkg deal from a company that wont be named and I had problems with both,all I used was brass cased ammo.

followers sticking and several double feeds and nose down failures to feed.

I sold them to a guy that thought he could get them to work by cleaning and removing burrs? but he was happy and I got my $$ back.

I dont know if he ever messed with them or not..

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:42:54 AM EDT
[#26]
I am waiting on the PMag D60. Those will work. The problem I had with my surefire 60 is when dirt and sand would get in it from hitting the deck then going in and out of my range bag, the follower would stick. All my other 30 round mags work fine with dirt and sand in them. When I would clean the surefire 60 up real good and shoot brass ammo, it always worked as long as I didnt leave it loaded in the bag too long, thus gathering more dirt.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#27]
My sf60 was one of the very first releases and it has never given me a problem. The spring is super weak now and sometimes binds up when loading the mag but runs fine when I shoot.
I have cleaned it a few times but it get pretty filthy. Same spring with about 10k rounds through it rough estimate
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:08:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FAB-10_Guy] [#28]
Originally Posted By FAB-10_Guy:

Mine has run flawlessly with Brown Bear 55gr fmj ammo––180 rounds now.

Well, not anymore.  I had my first miserable failure of this mag.  Again, I was using Brown Bear 55gr FMJ.  I loaded it up (60 rounds) and left it sitting on the bench while I used some other mags first.  It was in the low 30's outside if that makes any difference (above freezing).  Shot the 1st 2 rounds OK, then it wouldn't push the rounds up.  The follower was stuck.  I took the mag out and emptied it and then reloaded it again.  On the second reloading it shot perfectly without any failures at all.  Most of my shooting with it has been Brown Bear (lacquered ammo) although I did initially use some IMI M193, which worked perfectly.  Makes me wonder if it has something to do with the coating on the steel cases of the BB.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Glockfan:
I know what you mean, but all my other mags cycle Wolf, including my Beta C mags, and so should the Surefire.

There is no reason why it should have done that.

I'm taking it back, it doesnt work.

We have already established that the Surefire mag is more finicky with certain types of ammunition such as bullets with longer overall length. Try it with some good ammo and see if it runs. I don't hold it against anything if it does not run with Wolf.
Pat

Well, not anymore.  I had my first miserable failure of this mag.  Again, I was using Brown Bear 55gr FMJ.  I loaded it up (60 rounds) and left it sitting on the bench while I used some other mags first.  It was in the low 30's outside if that makes any difference (above freezing).  Shot the 1st 2 rounds OK, then it wouldn't push the rounds up.  The follower was stuck.  I took the mag out and emptied it and then reloaded it again.  On the second reloading it shot perfectly without any failures at all.  Most of my shooting with it has been Brown Bear (lacquered ammo) although I did initially use some IMI M193, which worked perfectly.  Makes me wonder if it has something to do with the coating on the steel cases of the BB.

Since I posted this comment above, I have loaded it up full with PMC Bronze and stuck it in my gun safe and left it alone.  It has been over 3 years sitting fully loaded in the safe.  I recently took it to a 4-day rifle class just to see how it would fair after sitting for 3 years fully loaded.  I put about 120 rounds through it again (PMC Bronze) without a splutter.  It ran fine.  The only problem I've had was listed above, with lacquer cased Brown Bear after it had sat for 30min loaded.  Seems to have done fine with everything else.  And it has also done fine with Brown Bear when shot immediately after loading it, for what that's worth.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 5:32:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GGGBeo50] [#29]

Since I posted this comment above, I have loaded it up full with PMC Bronze and stuck it in my gun safe and left it alone.  It has been over 3 years sitting fully loaded in the safe.  I recently took it to a 4-day rifle class just to see how it would fair after hitting for 3 years fully loaded.  I put about 120 rounds through it again (PMC Bronze) without a splutter.  It ran fine.  The only problem I've had was listed above, with lacquer cased Brown Bear after it had sat for 30min loaded.  Seems to have done fine with everything else.  And it has also done fine with Brown Bear when shot immediately after loading it, for what that's worth.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Glockfan:
I know what you mean, but all my other mags cycle Wolf, including my Beta C mags, and so should the Surefire.

There is no reason why it should have done that.

I'm taking it back, it doesnt work.

We have already established that the Surefire mag is more finicky with certain types of ammunition such as bullets with longer overall length. Try it with some good ammo and see if it runs. I don't hold it against anything if it does not run with Wolf.
Pat

Since I posted this comment above, I have loaded it up full with PMC Bronze and stuck it in my gun safe and left it alone.  It has been over 3 years sitting fully loaded in the safe.  I recently took it to a 4-day rifle class just to see how it would fair after hitting for 3 years fully loaded.  I put about 120 rounds through it again (PMC Bronze) without a splutter.  It ran fine.  The only problem I've had was listed above, with lacquer cased Brown Bear after it had sat for 30min loaded.  Seems to have done fine with everything else.  And it has also done fine with Brown Bear when shot immediately after loading it, for what that's worth.

I had a dissimilar experience. A brand new 60 round I had sitting in the safe for about a year loaded with XM855 got jammed up on me after about 20 rounds of firing. Now, I will admit I was shooting suppressed and gas/shit was blowing down into the mag, which is most liekely what caused the follower to hang up. BUT I never have that problem with my 30 round mags. The fix was after I saw the follower was stuck, I released the mag, smacked it on the deck, threw it back in, fired a few more times, hung up again, rinse repeat until the last 10 round functioned well but those last 10 had already made it past the flared portion of the mag. Because the mag was given to me as a gift, I had it sitting around. After that last experience it went on the EE and it became someone elses problem.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:13:57 PM EDT
[#30]
looks like the 100rd surefires were discontinued, seems you can still get them for $90.   I have a couple 60rd mags and they run great, even full auto in an FNC.  How about the 100rd ones?  Do they work as well?

Being discontinued, I assume there were some issues with them.  But maybe they are just too bulky and sales were slow.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Mine works great....
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 2:15:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Quake_Guy:
looks like the 100rd surefires were discontinued, seems you can still get them for $90.   I have a couple 60rd mags and they run great, even full auto in an FNC.  How about the 100rd ones?  Do they work as well?

Being discontinued, I assume there were some issues with them.  But maybe they are just too bulky and sales were slow.
View Quote

I hand loaded and unloaded mine a few times to break it in and it works flawlessly now as long as I use brass cased ammo. Steel cases are not smooth enough for a quad stacked mag design and will get hung up.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 8:25:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Mine work great as well
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 8:22:17 AM EDT
[#34]
The hundred rounder also double duties as a monopod.  Puts the rifle at just the right height for shooting prone.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 8:59:33 AM EDT
[#35]
both my 60s have issues.  The follower likes to fold down and they become useless.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Have several 60's, been sitting in package for years.
Opened one the other day and loaded full of wolf gold.
Was breaking in a new build, put 15 different mags and 6 types of ammo thru it, ran flawless.
Ended the shooting with the surefire 60 and it worked great.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:52:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Clint50] [#37]
Anyone know where the best place is to find the 60 rounders now? I wouldn't mind picking up a couple more.
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:12:20 PM EDT
[#38]
If you want high capacity, the most reliable magazine is the Beta C-Mag twin 100 rd drum. These have been tested and approved for function and used by some military units and they work. The advantage is that when installed the drums hang to the sides. This makes it possible to shoot on the ground or from a bench without the large under hanging protrusion of an extra long magazine. Standard capacity magazines are fine by me but if you want to go to the heavy hundred then the Beta C-Mag is a good solution.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:35:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By dlagrua:
If you want high capacity, the most reliable magazine is the Beta C-Mag twin 100 rd drum. These have been tested and approved for function and used by some military units and they work. The advantage is that when installed the drums hang to the sides. This makes it possible to shoot on the ground or from a bench without the large under hanging protrusion of an extra long magazine. Standard capacity magazines are fine by me but if you want to go to the heavy hundred then the Beta C-Mag is a good solution.
View Quote

Which units?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:28:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:

They were used during the Gulf War, they encountered functioning problems and were pulled from service.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:
Originally Posted By dlagrua:

Which units?

They were used during the Gulf War, they encountered functioning problems and were pulled from service.

Ok, which units? You're both saying they were used by the military. dlagrua says they functioned fine and you say they didn't. Where are you gentlemen pulling your info from?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 5:56:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#43]
I beg to differ my friend there is a better solution for reliability!!! Armatac 150 round Saw Mag!!!
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 12:48:37 AM EDT
[#44]
I bought a couple of Surefire 60's 2 years ago, used them a couple of times to make sure they work, to see if they're "problematic", brass only, no issues at all.  Used a maglula loader.  With all the politics in my state, decided to get a few more before they become unobtainable.  but $130 a pop, whew.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 3:37:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:
Which units?
View Quote
Denmark has used some Beta C mags with their Diemaco LSW (which they designate the LSV M/04) but I don't know if they're standard issue there. Most of the pics I find show standard aluminum 30 rounders.

Link Posted: 11/23/2023 3:19:36 PM EDT
[#46]
60 and 100 round mags? We call those wet dreams in Mass. I was lucky enough to get a few 30 rnd mags from someone in Texas, bless their soul. lol I'm trying to grab as many pre-ban 30's as I can find but prices here are crazy at over $60 each, no guarantees.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 9:55:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Reup'd my pic.....
Ridiculously stupid looking & heavy. But it works.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 1:01:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GGGBeo50] [#48]
Does anyone still like these? I have like 50 of the 60 rounders.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 11:26:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Does anyone still like these? I have like 50 of the 60 rounders.
View Quote

I really like the 60s and want to get some more of them.
Page / 12
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top