User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 14
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:44:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Question for those who have done 2-color or camo type dyes...

What did you use for masking off the mag?  I building a black/blue themed rifle, and thought about dying the mags blue first, then masking for the desired designed followed by a black dip session.

What would be the best tape or cover to use in a boiling dye/water environment?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 11:05:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Been wondering this also.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 12:44:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: easttexas] [#3]
These posts from MTguns may help [click] [click]  You can also google image "MTguns rit dye" for his work
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 11:04:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brotherzoo] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Retinal_burns:
So, everyone else on this thread looks to have been having an awesome time doing this, and all of the patterns are coming out sharp and clear with little bleed under the tape. Maybe I'm wrong, but I couldn't find anything detailed about taping the magazines in order to get a pattern and instead of a decent tri-toned pmag I came out with a butt ugly pmag.

Here are some pics:

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k597/blatantevil/IMG_2454.jpg
http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k597/blatantevil/IMG_2455.jpg

I was using a FG Pmag and attempted to do a FG, scarlet, and denim colored random camo pattern  with a magpul logo on the mag mag. Maybe not the best color choices but I only had 1 FG pmag (until the magpul fairy visits...) and those colors are just from some old RIT dye I had lying around. I'll be going to my nearest RIT dye emporium to pick up some more manly and effective colors later. When my new FG pmags do come in I'd like to do a better job at masking off the pmag so that I can get some better patterns. I used electrical tape, but in an attempt to keep it from sticking I stuck it to some wax paper and then cut out my patterns. Maybe this was a bad idea? I guess the wax could have lessend the adhesive of the tape...

Basically I need some advice. And my biggest problem was with taping off the pattern on the mag.

Thanks for introducing me to this awesome customization, I just need to do better than make my pmags look like rotten goat puke...
View Quote

I love the way your Magpul logo came out.
It looks like a "Half-Life" gaming rig case build, haha.
How did you tape yours to get that bleed look...?
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 11:08:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brotherzoo] [#5]
Originally Posted By mtwagner:
Well I didn't notice if anyone had started a petition, so here goes. Never underestimate the power of enthusiastic customers and a polite well written petition. The contents of the petition are in this post below the link. I'm sure most think this would be helpful/cool/marketable. I'd be tempted to rock plain white. If you are interested in white, or the ability to dye other colors (pink, purple, yellow, whatever) Please sign. I posted here and the other Dye thread.

White Magpul Polymer Products Petition

<div style="margin-left: 40px;">To: Magpul Industries

We would like to start by telling you, the fine people at Magpul Industries that, first and foremost, we love your products. Many of us not only have multiple products adorning our various firearms, but are also viewers of your fabulous education programs. And we'll continue to be loyal customers.

The purpose of this petition is that we would like to encourage and request that Magpul add a new color to their line of polymer products. And that color is White. The reasons that we are suggesting white are three fold:

First, in northern climates where it snows a great deal, white would be a very nice option.

Second, there is a growing community of individuals that have begun to experiment with dying their Magpul products to desired colors. Dying has the advantage over painting of not adding anything to the dimensions of products. White would also be a perfect base color, making it easier to achieve the desired colors, especially lighter target colors. (I'm sure there are people that might want pink or yellow Magpul furniture, those colors are currently impossible, or at least incredible difficult.)

Third and Finally, We think white would look pretty slick!

We know that you careful consider the input from operators when it comes to designing and releasing products, we only ask you to consider this option as well.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration!

Sincerely,

Mock-up
http://i.imgur.com/y7Puv.jpg
View Quote

Yes, and ATTENTION MagPul......PLEASE......bring back OD Green while you are at it.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 11:12:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brotherzoo] [#6]

That TIGER STRIPE is fucking SICK brother.
I do mine with green painter's tape and Krylon flat camo rattle can spray paint, but yours looks way better.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 11:16:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brotherzoo] [#7]
Herp... Derp... Duplicerp...
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 11:22:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brotherzoo] [#8]
Herp... Derp....Triplicerp...
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 11:24:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brotherzoo] [#9]
Originally Posted By danpass:
SUMMARY:

(My pics will be back up soon.)

Edit: 5-13-16.  Only pic I could find:

The dark orange was FDE dip in an entire solution of Rit Orange powder.  In real life it is almost burgundy, Yep, too much.

The more golden/brown/orange-y mags are also FDE but with a more measured application of orange lol.

Then two FDE mags for comparison. (the last two are foliage green.  terrible for color dyeing )

As of 2016 Magpul's "SAND" color is nearly white in reality.  Easier to get the color you want.

IMG_20160513_231453 by Dan Passaro, on Flickr<Link Removed....................dpmmn>

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/Dyejobs-122.jpg

Ingredients:

Rit Dye (Walmart bleach section [not crafts section], shoe shine area from my local Winn Dixie grocery store are the places I've found Rit Dye.)
Originally Posted By PraesulPresul1:
I may have missed it in here but here could point a guy in the general direction of color combos:

Rit Dye Color Chart
View Quote

FDE PMAG

Lessons learned:

Both amount of dye and amount of time factor into the color change so try to do everything at the same time.
I did one PMAG first and then the other the next day and was really, really, really close in a color match. I ended up leaving it in the solution about 30 seconds longer than I should have.
If you end up doing more later on, dip in increments until you get the match.

Bring water to a near boil instead of an actual boil.
My first PMAG tests were in boiling water and while there doesn't appear to be any actual function issues I figured it would be best not to push it lol.

FDE is the best host color to get the color you're looking for. Yellow rit dye on foliage green simply resulted in a darker, puke green.

Add dye to the water until you are just slightly darker than the color you're after.
The brick red PMAG is a result of adding the whole sunshine orange packet to 6 cups of water lol. The lighter, more orange PMAG was the second attempt using that little tip.

Use stainless steel pots and tongs for easy cleanup. To be investigated:

Rit Dye is available in white. I'll be trying this out on FDE to lighten it up and then follow with orange/whatever to see what happens. Never found it. Some pics showing the penetration of the dye:

It is just penetrating into the material. Just to clarify some heat is needed to help penetration.

http://www.danpassaro.com/img/v3/p840961946.jpg

http://www.danpassaro.com/img/v11/p761974290.jpg

======================================
ROUND 3

Looks like FDE is the best host color and Orange is better than Yellow for getting closest to orange.

There is a White Rit Dye but they didn't have any in stock. Here is a sample from Walmart. They're not in the crafts section (there is a different dye there but the employee said the Rit is superior) but in the bleach section.

I bought several colors this time for other stuff.

One day I'll try white and then follow up with orange/whatever

http://www.danpassaro.com/img/v5/p300589172.jpg

http://www.danpassaro.com/img/v6/p92747918.jpg

http://www.danpassaro.com/img/v7/p388225768.jpg ======================================
ROUND 2:

I got away from boiling and dipping. I got the water to almost boil and then took it off the stove. Just in case (ref: the plastic).

Just hot/hot water and let it sit for about 5-7 min. Again just in case lol.

This time I added powder until it became like orange bug juice.

Not enough in the result.

So a little more until it was closer to red bug juice.

Result:

Camera color balanced off an 18% gray card.

http://www.danpassaro.com/img/v0/p505726331.jpg

Conclusion:

I have another FDE PMAG and two FG PMAGs. Yellow RIT Dye tomorrow ===================================

ROUND 1:

This was khaki with Sunshine Orange. So next time I'll do Yellow on Foliage PMAG

Boil water in SS pot, mix in one packet (or less), drop in parts for 5 min or less, while stirring with stainless tongs (ideally). The stainless cleans up easiest.

Remove and rinse under cold water for a bit.

http://www.danpassaro.com/img/v3/p890362986.jpg

http://www.danpassaro.com/img/v3/p956155517.jpg

Intersting factoid, reference: delrin.  Not a material I've seen used in polymer parts.  Just interesting

dupont pdf http://plastics.dupont.com/plastics/pdflit/americas/delrin/230323c.pdf

Dyeing
Surfaces of Delrin acetal resin can be dyed by either the “Water Solvent Method” or the “Organic Solvent Method.” Part geometry must be taken into
account when dyeing Delrin acetal resin because part thickness influences the rate at which staining occurs. Thin sections stain more rapidly than thick.
Consequently, variations in section thickness will determine the immersion time required for color uniformity and tone. Light uniform tones may be
difficult to achieve.

Commercial household dyes such as “Tintex”1 and “Rit”2 have also been used successfully to dye parts of Delrin acetal resin for color coding. Bath
temperatures of 85–90°C (185–195°F) should be employed with “Tintex” and “Rit” to obtain adequate dye penetration and good color.
View Quote
View Quote

Any chance you could relink the rest of those pictures? If you send them to me I will be glad to send you back permalinks if that would be helpful. - JB
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 11:46:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 50cal:
Don't think the ETS mags will dye. The composition is totally different.
View Quote

But they can be painted in patterns that still sore the clear look quite nicely.
I'll be glad to post pictures if you like.
Just PM me please
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 11:57:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By dpmmn:

these turned out kind of dark after 30 minutes
I used about 1/4 of the bottle, sorry for the crappy pic
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=80480  
View Quote

What color Pmags did you start with...?
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By dpmmn:

BLUE PMags!
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=80503

View Quote

Details, please sir? Original Pmag color? Rit dye color?
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 4:53:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By brotherzoo:
Any chance you could relink the rest of those pictures? If you send them to me I will be glad to send you back permalinks if that would be helpful. - JB
View Quote

Unfortunately no.  They were lost in a HDD failure.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:39:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone dipping in RIT anymore? Haven't seen much activity in a while.

Who has perfected a Magpul OD green recipe? Most of the formulas referenced are for RIT color chart and aren't really close. Other photos are close, but still not a match. I'm thinking it would be some sort of a combo of green, dark brown, and pearl gray.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:27:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3ACR_Scout] [#15]
I'm tinkering with the Magpul OD green color.  I used the Rit OD formula (2 parts Dark Green, 1 part Dark Brown) and got a Tango Down FDE stubby vertical grip pretty close to Magpul OD, but a little dark (left it in a little too long, I think).  However, starting with a Sand PMAG, the Rit OD color didn't turn out that well.  Too dark, and maybe too much brown in it.  I also dunked a BCM Foliage Green Gunfighter Grip in the same Rit OD formula, and it came out a little too green (not enough brown), but still looks pretty good.  I don't know enough about color shading to be able to judge what colors should be added / reduced, so I'm just going to have to play around a bit.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 12:29:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3ACR_Scout] [#16]
Well, I took a swing at Magpul OD green again today and missed.  For some reason, I thought the 2:1 ratio formula using Dark Green and Dark Brown Rit dye had too much brown in it, so I upped it to 4:1, and then 3:1, and it came out much too green (basically looks dark green to me).  I'm going to try it the other way around, maybe a 1:1 ratio of green and brown, but I'm out of Sand PMAGs, so that experiment will have to wait a while.  It definitely seems much closer when starting with an FDE-colored piece of gear, like the TD stubby grip I dyed the first time.

Anyway, I have some nice dark green 20-round M3 PMAGs now.  And a 30-rounder that's probably closer to Medium Coyote Tan than FDE, but I already mentioned that in the other thread.  Sorry, I'd share photos, but it's been really hard to capture any that show the color differences in the harsh winter sunlight outside.  It's even more difficult indoors.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#17]
For Magpul OD, I hope to try soon, but if you beat me too it, try a 1:1 of the dark green and brown, dunked at 30 second intervals. If it comes out too "rich", I'd recommend trying to cut it with a half or a quarter portion of pearl gray.

Pure speculation, of course, but this is what I plan to do. For consistency between attempts, record the amount of water, temperature, amount of color, and time in bath.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 8:11:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Anyone else master the Magpul OD yet? I have not had time to try yet. Life got in the way.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 3:10:54 PM EDT
[#19]
The goal with these will be to match the typical grey on the typical aluminum AR mag

PMAG30, Window in Natural color. Ready for RiT dye.
by Dan Passaro, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#20]
The goal with these will be to match the typical grey on the typical aluminum AR mag

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2821/33512312630_5c8c8ce1fe_b.jpg
PMAG30, Window in Natural color. Ready for RiT dye.
by Dan Passaro, on Flickr
View Quote
Fail.

Basically came out black.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:35:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Fail.

Basically came out black.
View Quote
Sorry to hear. Any hazing in the window, or are they still clear?
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:58:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By mhbaker81:

Sorry to hear. Any hazing in the window, or are they still clear?
View Quote
actually they were hazy out of the wrap.

But otherwise no change.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:19:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone have a formula for Coyote brown?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:47:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By The_Hammer:
Anyone have a formula for Coyote brown?
View Quote
Like the ACR's coyote brown? I've read some recipes, but haven't had a chance to try them yet. The one that appears to work well was posted by someone on the Bushmaster ACR Owners Facebook page:
---- "I wanted to share my recipe for dying the Sand PMAGs Coyote Brown if anyone is interested. Heat 1 gallon of water in a large pot to about 170 °F. Mix 1 oz of Rit Dark Brown dye and 1.25 oz Rit Camel dye in to the pot. Drop disassembled polymer magazine parts in for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove and run under cold water. Mine are very close in color - the slightest green hue. Enjoy!"
Here's the picture he posted:

I think when I try it, I'll try it without the brown.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 3:03:51 AM EDT
[#26]
I have finally mastered Magpul OD green, but there is a catch... The base piece/color was a Tango Down stubby foregrip in their version of Foliage Green. Recipe was 50oz of water at a near boil with only 2 tablespoons of Dark Brown liquid RIT dye. Soak time is exactly 30 seconds, as TD polymer parts absorb color very quickly. This recipe works on any TD parts in Foliage, which could help somebody out. I am very close to Magpul OD with a Sand PMAG, as well, but still working on perfecting things.

Here are some before and after shots.

Link Posted: 10/6/2018 10:55:16 AM EDT
[#27]
I posted these a while back in a different thread, thinking it was this one. I just stumbled back in here and realized this one has more activity and figured I would toss the info in here too in case anybody needs some new gimmicky toys

From earlier:

My wife drug me along on some errands today and one of her stops was Michaels craft store. While wondering around I found an isle end with bottles of RIT dye, and I spotted a couple of colors I had not seen before, neon green and neon yellow. Figured I had better get one of each and test it on some mags. It seemed like it took more dye and longer times to get results than other colors do. They almost look like toys in person.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 11:47:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Anybody have a close or match to a ALG Purple rail?  Using Sand colored furniture.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#29]
I have finally mastered Magpul OD green, but there is a catch... The base piece/color was a Tango Down stubby foregrip in their version of Foliage Green. Recipe was 50oz of water at a near boil with only 2 tablespoons of Dark Brown liquid RIT dye. Soak time is exactly 30 seconds, as TD polymer parts absorb color very quickly. This recipe works on any TD parts in Foliage, which could help somebody out. I am very close to Magpul OD with a Sand PMAG, as well, but still working on perfecting things.
View Quote
Id love to hear the formula for the Sand PMAGS when you get it figured out.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 11:47:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By tapered-pin:

Id love to hear the formula for the Sand PMAGS when you get it figured out.
View Quote
I am very close. It has become my mission and I'll be sure to share when it is perfected.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:24:56 AM EDT
[#31]
I am very close. It has become my mission and I'll be sure to share when it is perfected.
View Quote
post photos of the progress? Maybe a couple of us could work together to get there..
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 10:35:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Glad to see this thread is still out there any recipes for Magpul AK Plum? thx
Page / 14
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top