Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 14
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:21:29 PM EDT
[#1]
So got a lil bored and remember I had an extra FDE troy grip.  So I finished up the rail covers  which took a whole minute dipped. Also pulled the trigger guard and dipped it, and the Troy grip ended up not matching 100% but I still like it, when the OD k grip comes in I am gonna try to see if I can bleach the troy grip back to FDE just for fun.  I left the OD KNS pins in just for the pictures to see the color difference, I had some flat rattle can brown that matched up pretty nice tho so I painted KNS no pictures tho still drying in the sun.
I went with some different color back grounds just to see how the die looked
DSC_1828 by jamiehstanley, on Flickr
DSC_1834 by jamiehstanley, on Flickr
DSC_1841 by jamiehstanley, on Flickr
DSC_1848 by jamiehstanley, on Flickr
DSC_1845 by jamiehstanley, on Flickr
DSC_1852 by jamiehstanley, on Flickr
DSC_1856 by jamiehstanley, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:45:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jamiehstanley:
So got a lil bored and remember I had an extra FDE troy grip.  So I finished up the rail covers  which took a whole minute dipped. Also pulled the trigger guard and dipped it, and the Troy grip ended up not matching 100% but I still like it, when the OD k grip comes in I am gonna try to see if I can bleach the troy grip back to FDE just for fun.  I left the OD KNS pins in just for the pictures to see the color difference, I had some flat rattle can brown that matched up pretty nice tho so I painted KNS no pictures tho still drying in the sun.
I went with some different color back grounds just to see how the die looked
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/nmfqs7" target="_blank">https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7354/14012635866_be26b5c6b0_b.jpg
View Quote

Good job, I like that shade of brown. What color rit dye did you use, dark brown? How long did you dunk the parts?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:33:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jamiehstanley] [#3]
Powder Dark Brown.  I dipped everything once just a quick dip, then dipped everything again for a full 5 seconds. The trigger guard was 5 seconds then another 5, for some reason it didn't look right after just 5 seconds.  The rail covers were a full 1 minute, they r still not a 100% match but best I was willing to get to hahah.  

And painted the KNS

Got a few of the magpul colors out for a side by side

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Has anyone taken UDE to Stealth grey?
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Dyed an fde ms2 to try to match.. may try an ms3 if I can get my hands on one cheap. You can see the before color in the pictures above.

DSC_1997 by jamiehstanley, on Flickr
DSC_1995 by jamiehstanley, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 11:45:00 PM EDT
[#7]
To anybody thinking about it, Magpul Iphone cases do not take rit dye at all.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 1:45:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:48:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Tagged for future viewing of all 22 pages
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:59:49 AM EDT
[#10]

My attempt at turning Magpul Flat Dark Earth into Coyote Brown.  

Somethings I learned... Foregrips and pistol grips don't take the dye as well as other parts.  Also, there is a difference in the color from the first batch to the last batch.  Overall though, I'm happy with it.

Coyote Brown, Flat Dark Earth, and another Coyote Brown (notice the base plate is darker on the last magazine.  It was the first test piece.  A little too long in the dye bath.)

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:30:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Here's one I did where I attempted some kind of Coyote Brown/FDE camouflage pattern.  I only did one this way.

I'm gonna try and get a better picture later.  It looks better in person.  But again like with the others, I'm happy with it.

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:03:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GUNNER702] [#12]
which color pmag can I use to dye it like the new magpul stealth grey color?
And so I use the PEARL GREY RIT DYE?

thanks
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:28:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By GUNNER702:
which color pmag can I use to dye it like the new magpul stealth grey color?
And so I use the PEARL GREY RIT DYE?

thanks
View Quote

I've asked about taking UDE to stealth grey and haven't gotten a response...

Here is my thread if anyone has an answer.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 10:45:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Springfield XD in their "OD Green" color, which is actually WAYYYYYYYY more tan than it is green.  I would like to try to RIT dye this frame and get it closer to a true OD.  Anyone have any suggestions on color/strength?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:04:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Bump for an epic thread.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 2:32:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I think I have read through the entire thread and i dont think this question has been answered. Is there any color that will effect a black pmag? I stumbled upon this thread and thought this is just the coolest thing. I have a specific pattern in mind that would involve the sunshine orange color but everyone is using FDE, so will anything show up on black?
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 2:39:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By RaggedEarth:
I think I have read through the entire thread and i dont think this question has been answered. Is there any color that will effect a black pmag? I stumbled upon this thread and thought this is just the coolest thing. I have a specific pattern in mind that would involve the sunshine orange color but everyone is using FDE, so will anything show up on black?
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 2:56:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TarawaS2000:

No.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

No.

Cool, so if I cover an area (on a FDE mag) to leave it uneffected by the dye and do the rest black, I wouldnt have to cover the black areas when i dip it again for the lighter colors?
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#19]

No.
View All Quotes

No.

Cool, so if I cover an area (on a FDE mag) to leave it uneffected by the dye and do the rest black, I wouldnt have to cover the black areas when i dip it again for the lighter colors?
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#20]
crap, sorry for the double post.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

No.

Honestly, I don't know. If you start with a black PMag, then it would change at all. But starting with a FDE mag and dying it black and then another color, you might have it tint the black. But again, I don't know because I've never done that.

Someone will be along shortly with a definitive answer.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 5:06:09 PM EDT
[#22]
For those who read my original post, I appologize, because my question has been answered many times over in the first few pages oops.
But does anyone know if a lighter colore will throw off one that is darker. Would say, a lighter yellow mess with a darker red upon a quick dunck. If my question is domb im sorry, im both new to the site and this dyeing concept.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:24:26 AM EDT
[#23]
I just got a set of Magpul pink furniture for my wife and want to dye it purple. A couple questions for the hive, has anyone else dyed the MagPul pink stuff? I assume it will take the dye like the other Magpul stuff.

Second question, when doing a stock do you take it all apart or just dip it all as one unit?
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 5:44:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By onesureshot:
I just got a set of Magpul pink furniture for my wife and want to dye it purple. A couple questions for the hive, has anyone else dyed the MagPul pink stuff? I assume it will take the dye like the other Magpul stuff.

Second question, when doing a stock do you take it all apart or just dip it all as one unit?
View Quote

I tested a pink XTM rail piece in purple. It turned out brighter than with the FDE base but it took the color just fine.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:00:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I dyed the furniture a couple days ago, just waiting for the rest of the parts to get here to finish the build, then I will post a few pics. The pink took the color pretty well, with the exception of the inner portion of the slide adjustment lever. It has some pink striations that did not take the color very well. I also noticed the smooth "thumb rest" part of the pistol grip is just a tad lighter than the rest. Overall it looks good and I am sure she will be happy with it. I heated the water to 170 degrees, stirred in about 1/3 cup of liquid dye ( purple ) and dipped the parts for about 3 minutes each, rinsed and then decided to put them in again all at once for about 5 minutes. It seemed to even them out a bit more.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:58:24 PM EDT
[#26]
I dyed the furniture a couple days ago, just waiting for the rest of the parts to get here to finish the build, then I will post a few pics. The pink took the color pretty well, with the exception of the inner portion of the slide adjustment lever. It has some pink striations that did not take the color very well. I also noticed the smooth "thumb rest" part of the pistol grip is just a tad lighter than the rest. Overall it looks good and I am sure she will be happy with it. I heated the water to 170 degrees, stirred in about 1/3 cup of liquid dye ( purple ) and dipped the parts for about 3 minutes each, rinsed and then decided to put them in again all at once for about 5 minutes. It seemed to even them out a bit more.

View Quote

Pictures man!  Pictures!
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:21:40 AM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By 50DollarCheShirt:
Pictures man!  Pictures!

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 50DollarCheShirt:

Pictures man!  Pictures!

yes,pics please.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:54:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: onesureshot] [#28]
Got it buttoned up this evening. Here are the pics. I ran out of day light, so you will have to settle for basement shop pics for now. I will try to get more in the sunlight later in the week if the weather cooperates and I can send the wife out on an errand or something.

Here are the funky spots I mentioned

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:41:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Got it buttoned up this evening. Here are the pics. I ran out of day light, so you will have to settle for basement shop pics for now. I will try to get more in the sunlight later in the week if the weather cooperates and I can send the wife out on an errand or something.
View Quote

That came out great!  Nice work, I bet she loves it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Here are a few more pics out in the day light. You can see a bit of mottling in the color, but overall I am happy with it. I like how bright the color is and I am pretty confident she will love it. I can't wait to see the look on her face when she opens it next week

Thank you to all that have posted in this thread with tips and instruction on how to do this.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:21:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Nice job on that purple, I bet she loves it!
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:30:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Holy farging purple..that is bright...waiting for pics with wifey adoring her new rifle
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:46:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Looks good, Barney slaying purple.  I think you need some matching mags.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:35:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Bar50:
Looks good, Barney slaying purple.  I think you need some matching mags.
View Quote

I wish they made pink mags, but I was afraid dying a FDE or FG mag would made the color off from the furniture. I did snag her a couple of the Muddy Girl Camo dipped pmags, as she likes that and figured the mixes of pink and purple in the camo would look OK.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Happy wife, happy life

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 5:19:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Yep, she looks HAPPY.

Looks like a Merry Christmas indeed!

I am glad it turned out okay.  I sorta dig the color variations, that is like character, makes it unique.

Now, maybe if I can figure out how to make an electric or flouresent green (Zombie Green)....
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#37]
This thread is awesome... Tagged
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 6:42:23 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm relatively new to the black (or in this case - custom colored using Rit dye) rifle movement.  One of the big draws for me was the infinite list of customizations for said rifle breed.  I'm going to follow suit and do some custom colors for a pistol build shortly.  Thanks for this awesome concept and a fun thread to follow!
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 11:26:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M15A2] [#39]
Using onesureshot's directions I did a set of pink and made them purple. The PMAGS and foregrip started as FDE and ended up a darker plum color.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:10:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Just saw in another thread where MagPul is coming out with a new SAND colored mag. Follow the link to read the story about the release. It talks about increased strength and lighter color, plus talks about dying them, and says there will be video tutorials coming soon.

Gear Scout
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:06:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:11:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Just saw in another thread where MagPul is coming out with a new SAND colored mag. Follow the link to read the story about the release. It talks about increased strength and lighter color, plus talks about dying them, and says there will be video tutorials coming soon.

Gear Scout
View Quote

First thing I thought of when I saw the new Magpul video was this thread...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 7:31:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: masakari] [#43]

Just ordered a FDE Tango Down BG17 grip for this rifle, and want to match the chocolate brown color of this rifle's furniture... Got RIT dark brown, I'll post a picture when done. This will be my first time with this stuff, so I'm hoping it goes well.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:42:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gks452] [#44]
I just did a couple 20 round pmags for my wife's rifle. I used Rit Pink Petal dye. Because the mags were foliage green it came out more of a dark purple.  They still look good. The pink furniture is straight from Magpul.

She likes squirrels so I made a stencil out of some vinyl sticker material I got off amazon a few years ago to make arrow wraps. I printed off clip art of a squirrel on the backing and cut it out.  That part turned out better than I expected.  There's a couple spots where you can see the dye got under the sticker but they are minor.

Here is the rifle.

Here is a close up of the two magazines.

The shiny thing in the catch hole on the mag outside the rifle is a drop of water.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:12:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Looked here and elsewhere......anyone have a match for B5 coyote brown using Magpul FDE?  I found a formula of Tan and Pearl Gray and also saw using a light coat of Dark Brown?

Thanks for the assistance.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By PraesulPresul1:
Looked here and elsewhere......anyone have a match for B5 coyote brown using Magpul FDE?  I found a formula of Tan and Pearl Gray and also saw using a light coat of Dark Brown?

Thanks for the assistance.
View Quote

This is relevant to my interests. I screwed up and ordered a coyote B5 stock instead of FDE. I tested RIT tan tonight on a FDE Pmag and it was very close. I'd like to get it a bit closer before I order a FDE grip to dye.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 1:42:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Bump and a question.

Has anyone added black or really dark other color to dye OD furniture?
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 3:38:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Has anyone tried the sand mags yet?
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By BIG_PAPA:
View Quote

I did one in yellow and orange.

Link Posted: 6/8/2015 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Offspring:

Originally Posted By BIG_PAPA:

I did one in yellow and orange.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/286/18573079172_9d5b4f0f42_k.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/336/17955071334_067b073e6e_k.jpg
I have been waiting on a good solution for yellow!  How long was the dip time, and how much die to water?

Thanks!  That looks fantastic!!!
Page / 14
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top