Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2010 5:01:35 PM EDT
Being a ruhtard, I don't know anything about painting. I looked all over and couldn't find a link on how I should go about painting a PMAG, since I just got 10 green ones, but I need at least 4 to be black for my work gun. I got a smokin deal on these, that's why I didn't just buy black in the first place. $60 from an associate of a friend that needed money.

I took a shot at it and it worked pretty well so far. I need to take them out and bang em around a bit to see how well they actually do work out long term, but I'm happy so far.

Here's my writeup for other pigmentally challenged folks:

Started with my OD mag (though it looks a bit tan in the pic)

And a can of Satin Krylon Fusion (they didn't have flat and I'm impatient)

I've done two mags so far. I sanded one with 180 grid and didn't on the other. I wiped both down with a tack cloth

On to masking the windows:

Take a razor to the inside lip of the window and pull the tape of

I thought for a while about how I was going to hang on to this thing while I was painting it as well as keeping it up and out of the dust while it was drying. I came up with the idea of using some old, fake ass 550 cord that I bought by accident and using the masking tape to make a "reverse magpull" As you can see, I masked the upper part of the mag that goes in the gun. I didn't want to chance getting the paint flakes in the action, as it wears from mag changes. nobody really sees that part, anyway.

a quick spray and hang to dry between coats:
, so it's kind of shiny. the second one is much better.

and voila:

I used a bit too much paint on this one

Before and after:

This is my first writeup, so it may be lame, but I felt like I brought nothing to the table, so I gave it a shot. If there's any interest, I'll post a follow up on durability once I run them a bit.

Link Posted: 1/11/2010 5:43:07 PM EDT
[#1]
don't I feel stupid.... I haven't checked in here in 5 or 6 days and what do I JUST find?
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 6:39:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks really good.  Now that the Fusion is on, you could hit it with a flat camo paint to get rid of the gloss.
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 7:10:23 PM EDT
[#3]
It looks like it went on smooth, and even. good work.
when I did mine I pulled the floor plate and the spring and follower. Then I just ran a string through it and did the same as you with hanging it to dry.
I only did a couple and they have been only range toys, but I would feel fine having one in my patrol rifle.
Let us know in a few months how they hold up.

AP
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 7:23:07 PM EDT
[#4]
That looks great! I did the same thing with Krylon Fusion and some kind of textured paint that gave it a sandpaper-ish feeling a while back with one of the first P-Mags I bought. I just got the 10 pack of windowed ones from DSG and they only had foliage left so I may be doing the same thing now with them.
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 7:49:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I just painted one with standard krylon camo FDE, looks just like the factory FDE pmags...
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That looks great! I did the same thing with Krylon Fusion and some kind of textured paint that gave it a sandpaper-ish feeling a while back with one of the first P-Mags I bought. I just got the 10 pack of windowed ones from DSG and they only had foliage left so I may be doing the same thing now with them.

I did notice that the one that I sanded feels very rough and like I could get a better grip on it than the one I didn't sand or even the unpainted one. I guess 180 grit was a little too course
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#7]
They actually make a primer for application before painting plastic that makes the paint stick better.  I think you can buy it in spray cans.  Body shops use it on plastic car body parts.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top