Site Notices
11/24/2014 4:59:23 PM
Author
Posted: 1/11/2010 4:01:35 PM EST
Being a ruhtard, I don't know anything about painting. I looked all over and couldn't find a link on how I should go about painting a PMAG, since I just got 10 green ones, but I need at least 4 to be black for my work gun. I got a smokin deal on these, that's why I didn't just buy black in the first place. $60 from an associate of a friend that needed money.

I took a shot at it and it worked pretty well so far. I need to take them out and bang em around a bit to see how well they actually do work out long term, but I'm happy so far.

Here's my writeup for other pigmentally challenged folks:

Started with my OD mag (though it looks a bit tan in the pic)

And a can of Satin Krylon Fusion (they didn't have flat and I'm impatient)

I've done two mags so far. I sanded one with 180 grid and didn't on the other. I wiped both down with a tack cloth

On to masking the windows:

Take a razor to the inside lip of the window and pull the tape of

I thought for a while about how I was going to hang on to this thing while I was painting it as well as keeping it up and out of the dust while it was drying. I came up with the idea of using some old, fake ass 550 cord that I bought by accident and using the masking tape to make a "reverse magpull" As you can see, I masked the upper part of the mag that goes in the gun. I didn't want to chance getting the paint flakes in the action, as it wears from mag changes. nobody really sees that part, anyway.

a quick spray and hang to dry between coats:
, so it's kind of shiny. the second one is much better.

and voila:

I used a bit too much paint on this one

Before and after:

This is my first writeup, so it may be lame, but I felt like I brought nothing to the table, so I gave it a shot. If there's any interest, I'll post a follow up on durability once I run them a bit.

Blazin413
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/11/2010 4:43:07 PM EST
don't I feel stupid.... I haven't checked in here in 5 or 6 days and what do I JUST find?
slashsplat
Sifu
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/11/2010 5:39:58 PM EST
Looks really good. Now that the Fusion is on, you could hit it with a flat camo paint to get rid of the gloss.
NRA Life, NRA Range Safety Officer, CCW, JPFO, CCRKBA, GeorgiaCarry.org
Proud Member of Ranstad's Militia - Learn more, Join at http://RanstadsMilitia.org
LaRue/Ft. Hood, Proud Owner of Memorial B.E.T.
ArmedPete
10-32
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/11/2010 6:10:23 PM EST
It looks like it went on smooth, and even. good work.
when I did mine I pulled the floor plate and the spring and follower. Then I just ran a string through it and did the same as you with hanging it to dry.
I only did a couple and they have been only range toys, but I would feel fine having one in my patrol rifle.
Let us know in a few months how they hold up.

AP
The Absolute First Rule of a Gunfight............. "Have a Gun!"

floridahunter07
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/11/2010 6:23:07 PM EST
That looks great! I did the same thing with Krylon Fusion and some kind of textured paint that gave it a sandpaper-ish feeling a while back with one of the first P-Mags I bought. I just got the 10 pack of windowed ones from DSG and they only had foliage left so I may be doing the same thing now with them.
Thanks to scotchymcdrinkerbean for my membership.

Originally Posted By Aimless: This topic usually brings out the League of Pointy Hatted Gentlemen.
JohnMikerson
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/11/2010 6:49:31 PM EST
I just painted one with standard krylon camo FDE, looks just like the factory FDE pmags...
ALWAYS THINK FORFEITURE
Blazin413
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/12/2010 10:19:10 AM EST
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:
That looks great! I did the same thing with Krylon Fusion and some kind of textured paint that gave it a sandpaper-ish feeling a while back with one of the first P-Mags I bought. I just got the 10 pack of windowed ones from DSG and they only had foliage left so I may be doing the same thing now with them.

I did notice that the one that I sanded feels very rough and like I could get a better grip on it than the one I didn't sand or even the unpainted one. I guess 180 grit was a little too course
KurtVF
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/12/2010 11:43:15 AM EST
They actually make a primer for application before painting plastic that makes the paint stick better. I think you can buy it in spray cans. Body shops use it on plastic car body parts.