Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2017 2:05:21 PM EDT
I hand-load my .223, and I'm considering trying some of the new lead-free bullets (probably Hornady GMX).  But I've been searching the web for useful info on using LF bullets in the AR platform and haven't come up with anything useful to me.  All I find is charts and diagrams about how much relative damage the LF bullets do to game animals.  But I don't hunt -- I'm a target shooter only, and what interests me is A: how accurate LF bullets are compared to lead, and B: does the LF bullet raise any new issues when used in the AR.

I did a forum search on "lead-free" and didn't come up with anything.  Has anyone tried lead-free bullets in their AR?  And if so, how do you compare them to lead bullets for accuracy?  Have they caused any problems when used in an AR?

Thanx in advance.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:08:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you looked at Barnes TSX/TTSX? My experience is that they're fairly accurate in many barrels and they're available as a component.

My interest in them is for self defense ammo and they are among the handful of what I consider "best" in that department.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:30:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Eagle, I will look into those, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Its not a question of if they work or how accurate are they, its how much do you want to pay.  375 and 408 CheyTac uses lathe turned brass for shooting 2000+ yards.  LF can be made accurately.  Lots of people shoot Barnes for hunting and SD with no feeding problems of any kind.  I can't remember anyone saying that Barnes or GMX wont feed.  But they are expensive.  0.50 per bullet.

Rocky Mountain has some lead free frangibles for sale normally.  95.00/1000  RMR 224 bullets
They are a great company and I buy all my bullets from there.

I wouldn't expect them to give you any feeding problems but the accuracy is going to be a crapshoot till you test them.

I think the real question is what is your price range per shot and how accurate do you want them to be.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:35:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Eagle, I will look into those, thanks.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 3:40:58 PM EDT
[#5]
It is very doubtful that you're going to find a lead free 224 projectile that is more accurate than lead core match bullets.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I've loaded and killed some critters with 62gr TSX.

I didn't put a ton of effort into it, but never got a more accurate load vs standard bullets. YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:24:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I use hornady 125gn SST & 125gn GMX in my 300Blk, this way i have one load to switch between for hunting season and off season matches.

My load is 17gn H110 which gets me about 2200 fps. I could prob push it harder but i found an accuracy node and stuck to it. Its easier on my brass too.

This last year i bagged 3 doe's with the GMX with 2 head shots (<60 yds) and one chest shot (88yds). That one ran 30 yds.

Ive always liked the GMX series. Ive used it in my 243 with great results.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:40:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I shoot the RMR 50gr jacketed frangible bullets (mainly got them to shoot at steel closer than 100yd).  They have proven to be a 5 shot, 100yd, 1.5" grouping bullet in the AR for me.  Using the same load I use in the AR in my Ruger Precision Rifle, they are a 100yd 1 1/8" grouping bullet.  Another user reports he's getting 1.8" 100yd groups with his AR.  Often there will be 4 shots close and 1 out a little...they are, after all, pulled bullets.  Thus, in my experience, while better accuracy than fmj bullets, they don't shoot as well as match bullets.  That same Ruger Precision does .7" with Sierra 77gr Matchkings.  

Note:  1 in 9" twist may or may not shoot them accurately due to their length.  My one 1 in 8" twist bbl didn't like them.  My 1 in 7" twist bbls like them.  Never had a feeding problem with them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
LF bullets are compared to lead, and B: does the LF bullet raise any new issues when used in the AR.
View Quote

lead free = longer bullets for same weight=twist could play a factor in accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:50:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

lead free = longer bullets for same weight=twist could play a factor in accuracy.
View Quote
And use less powder since the bullet is longer. I load solid brass 55 gr Copperhead with 62 gr FMJ load data (or Barnes 55 gr TSX data) and it shoots fine, don't know about long term effect on barrel wear, but brass is softer than steel.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top