Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/22/2017 8:44:48 AM EDT
Anybody tried this surplus ammo?

LGS has some for a good price but I dont know Who make this ammo.. The markings on the head of the case have been machined off.. On the brass case the importer put "sm 308" laser marking..

What worries me is the magnetic bullet with a weird nickel/silver color..

Could it damage my barrel?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:58:01 AM EDT
[#1]
If someone has machined off the head stamp, I'd be leery of the strength of the case.  Ripped off rims, popped primers and things like that.  I guess it would depend on how much brass was removed.  As to the bullet, I thought most 7.62 ammo milsurp was a steel core bullet.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:15:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds sketchy, how much is a blown up gun worth VS unknown ammo?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:47:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:46:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are going to use this in a H&K / PTR , with its "violent / abrupt" action... watch for ripped rims....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
If you are going to use this in a H&K / PTR , with its "violent / abrupt" action... watch for ripped rims....
It works fine

Quoted:
Sounds sketchy, how much is a blown up gun worth VS unknown ammo?
Its not unknown

Quoted:
As to the bullet, I thought most 7.62 ammo milsurp was a steel core bullet.
nope

It over-run dag/mem that has been milled, it's a steel case/ cupronickle jacket. Its above average surplus and works in my Ar10s as well as my HK beltfeds.

There is a bunch of 100yo WOMs about the cupronickel destroying barrels/being hard on barrels, but it works extremely well, doesn't destroy barrels and has decent terminal effects

I've shot a lot of it. I would bet more than nearly anyone else on the board
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:16:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Not worried about the machining..
The markings are usually 0,2mm i guess so not much material has been removed.

Just for your information military ammo with nato cross are not allowed here in Italy so this must be a trick to allow the sale of this ammo..

I was more curious about the magnetic silverish bullet.. Just dont want to feed my FAL with crappy stuff and Damage my barrel..

Ive shot surplus FN ammo in the past before military ammo were banned without issue and I'm happy to see that stuff available again
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:23:41 PM EDT
[#6]
It has pretty good velocity :D

7.62x51mm, 148gr FMJ, German No Name (MEN) Surplus, Velocity Test
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:47:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok little update.
Stopped by another LGS that carried the same SM ammo and asked to have a look at it..

Seems like SM is importing ammo from different countries since what Ive found inside is Danish 147gr  ammo marked AMA 88.
bullet is not cupro nickel like MEN ones but standard copperish color. Its magnetic btw.

Got 200 rounds just for testing.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:24:54 PM EDT
[#8]
The German ammo with the machined off headstamp is just fine. I've put about 200 rounds of it through a Spanish FR8 and it shot just fine and was fairly accurate.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:14:49 PM EDT
[#9]
They just machine off the NATO mark to get into US market.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:16:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They just machine off the NATO mark to get into US market.
View Quote
I'd say it's more of removing the mark to get it into the European market. NATO headstamped ammo is very common here even on imported ammo.

Sounds like Italy and maybe the E.U. have regulations against NATO marked ammo.

The distributor probably just ran the whole surplus lot through the sanitizing process instead of having to keep some of it separate for the U.S. and European market.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 6:40:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'd say it's more of removing the mark to get it into the European market. NATO headstamped ammo is very common here even on imported ammo.

Sounds like Italy and maybe the E.U. have regulations against NATO marked ammo.

The distributor probably just ran the whole surplus lot through the sanitizing process instead of having to keep some of it separate for the U.S. and European market.
View Quote
Thats true
Italian law says we cant own guns and ammo chambered for military issued caliber (what is mil issued is quite complicated..)
In our gun stores we can not find 5.56 ammo only .223 so people can feel a lot more safer..

Removing the headstamp is just a trick.. Like removing the 5.56 Nato markings on my Colt barrel..

Anyway the lot of 308 AMA ammo I just got hasnt been sanitized at all and the NATO cross is still there
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top