Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2017 2:51:34 PM EDT
This is shooting out of a match grade barrel. Sorry I am a total newb. Basically, what brands are good and reliable, what type of ammo should I be looking at? I would like to get something that isnt going to blow up in my face and rapidly destroy the barrel. Is brass the preferred ammo casing for target ammo?

Thanks!

Ammo I am looking for is for the .223/5.56, 1/7 twist out of a 11.7" barrel.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 3:14:47 PM EDT
[#1]
What are you shooting? Handgun? If AR what twist and weight?

Ive resolved to just clean my guns more or burn through more barrels over time. Seems cheaper even factoring in a new barrel.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 3:36:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Federal Gold Medal Match is pretty much the standard.  There are others.   Buy the bullet weight appropriate to the twist rate of your barrel
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 3:42:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry .223/5.56 1/7 twist. 11.7" barrel. Ill update the OP.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 4:55:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Is this out of a pistol or SBR?
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 4:57:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 6:51:35 PM EDT
[#6]
SBR and it's just for Target shooting. What are the good brand that won't go boom in my face because there so cheap they have no qc.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 7:06:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SBR and it's just for Target shooting. What are the good brand that won't go boom in my face because there so cheap they have no qc.
View Quote
You're being a little over dramatic.  While any manufacturer, brand, or type of ammo can have the occasional bad round, there just aren't a lot of kabooms from factory loads.  Yes, occasionally.  And yes, some manufacturers have better QC than others, but that being said, you asked for ammo for a Match barrel, so I'm assuming you want Match ammo.  If a manufacturer is putting "MATCH" on the box, chances are it's the most consistent ammo they make, hence their highest QC, and just extremely unlikely to go kaboom.

What causes a kaboom?  1) A squib.   A cartridge that has a bullet and a primer, but no powder.  When the firing pin strikes the primer, the bullet is forced down the barrel but usually doesn't exit and gets stuck.  When the next full charge load is fired, the new bullet strikes the stuck bullet and can cause severe damage to the firearm and it's operator.  2) A double charge....too much powder...creating pressure in excess of the limits of the chamber.  3) A light charge, a little harder for me to explain, but same result.  4) bullet set-back...when the bullet is seated or pushed too far into the case, causing a pressure spike.  5) Not enough neck tension, and the bullet seats out too far, jamming into the lands, again causing a pressure spike.  In handloading, there are times when seating into the lands is done intentionally, but powder loads are reduced in these instances to balance out the pressure.

Yes, you want BRASS cased ammo -- and not steel cased.  While there are those on this site that will tell you steel cased ammo is fine, no one is likely to tell you that they shoot it for accuracy or consistency.  They shoot it because it's inexpensive.  Brass and steel cases also expand differently in your rifles chamber.  While it's usually not a problem to shoot brass ammo and then shoot some steel cased, it's advisable to NOT shoot steel cased and then try to shoot brass in the same session.  In that instance you have a higher likelihood to get a stuck case.

There are many good reliable brands...you'd be better off asking what brands to avoid...and even then the list would be rather short.

Meanwhile - here are some well respected reliable brands:
Federal Gold Medal Match (as I mentioned earlier)
Lapua
Nosler Match
Hornady Match
Black Hills Match
PRIME ammo

There are others...

to a lesser extent
Winchester Match
PMC XTAC Match
Prvi Partizan Match
Remington Match
Norma Match
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 12:21:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 3:11:03 PM EDT
[#9]
i've reloaded steel cased russian&serbian boxer primer, varget, 75gr sierra, 5.56.
shot over 200 rounds in my adams arms piston upper, 1/7 twist, aero lower.
several years ago, was an experiment, for shtf, when ammo will be difficult to acquire.
no problems with function, ~2.5moa.
federal match, best in my ar.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:21:00 AM EDT
[#10]
People are telling you what match ammo to get.  For fun shooting  get Wolf Gold.  Must be Gold. Big difference in price.    You would zero your scope for the match ammo, then in screwing around you wouldn't be hitting the target the same. But would be saving a lot of money
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Try some Fiocchi Exacta 77gr HPBT, it's my go to ammo for many of my 1/7's, very reliable and accurate.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 12:36:29 PM EDT
[#12]
You'll want to experiment with different rounds, everything likes its own flavor. Still, you'll likely find it shoots 77smk's best. Of those, you'll likely find it shouts FGMM best and Black Hills as or nearly as well. Other candidates are the 77TMK, 69SMK/TMK, and 75 hornadys.

While steel is generally bottom tier ammo, if you'd rifle can cycle steel the Hornady Steel can be absolute lasers. It shoots a standard 75gr match round, just loaded in a steel case for cost. None of my precision rifles I currently own like them much, I had a Mk 12 that was well under MOA with them. They're a bit more picky about what barrels they like than the SMK. If yours likes them consider yourself very fortunate as they're about  40 cpr.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top