Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/3/2017 10:54:30 PM EDT
I've always wondered why Liberty won't make this in a lighter grain for the 5.7. They make it in the 4.6 and they certainly could make a lot more calibers with this design and have a good thing going. 
I was curious as to whether this super long bullet would stabilize in 5.7x28mm since both the FSN, P90, and PS90 both employ 1:9 twist barrels. If anything now you know and knowing is half the battle :D I wonder if I can source one of CMMG's older 1:7 twist barrels :D

M855A1 Bullet in 5.7x28mm? Will it work?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 12:51:40 AM EDT
[#1]
ok, that was cool.  did they stabilize out of the longer PS90 barrel?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 1:21:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting. I would like to see them manufacture a lightened version for the 5.7.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 1:22:46 AM EDT
[#3]
See for yourself.

Berger Stability Calculator
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 2:51:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know what the BC is or if it's a "G1 or G7", but it seems to indicate at 1300 fps we need 1:7 :D
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 6:42:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
See for yourself.

Berger Stability Calculator
View Quote
Hard to do if you don't know the round's specific gravity, and then, the distribution will be funky due to the 20ish gr insert in the nose and the Cu slug in the back.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Hard to do if you don't know the round's specific gravity, and then, the distribution will be funky due to the 20ish gr insert in the nose and the Cu slug in the back.
View Quote
You can get pretty darn close with a sectioned picture of the projectile and some simple volume equations by taking a rough estimate of the sizes and breaking them into simple geometric shapes.  You won't get the exact answer but close enough to know if you are on the border line with you projected velocities and factory availible twist rates.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
All you really need is the length.  If it is above 1.0, it should be stable.

EDIT: 1.33 - marginally stable
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 2:03:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

All you really need is the length.  If it is above 1.0, it should be stable.

EDIT: 1.33 - marginally stable
View Quote
The Greenhill formula was designed around a certain SG of 10.9. You just don't "see" that because the GH formula accounts for it and it's a little devil in details you don't really worry about...until you use bullets that the GH formula was never meant for.

It's like calculating compression with a vehicle engine...but there is massive valve-overlap. Your static compression calculation will not reflect real world compression ratios.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 2:03:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You can get pretty darn close with a sectioned picture of the projectile and some simple volume equations by taking a rough estimate of the sizes and breaking them into simple geometric shapes.  You won't get the exact answer but close enough to know if you are on the border line with you projected velocities and factory availible twist rates.
View Quote
Roger that. I'm a fan of 1/7 for a reason though. It works with all the things!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top