Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/3/2017 3:55:09 PM EDT
has anyone hunted with this round? just wondering how it performs.

i'm considering stocking a few rounds of it or the federal mk318 for a rainy day. i've read good things about the 318 round. the GMX bullet is almost the same but he 318 sheds its nose at higher velocity and depending on the barrier..... i think.  whereas the GMX does not.

i recall reading the Marine that use 318 in afghanistan were happy with it but then anything is better than 855 i suppose!

TSX is another option but is so hard to come by in a commercial load and i'm not going to reload it, plus what is out there is more expensive than GMX and 318. seen plenty of hunting reports on these bullets, good stuff there.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#1]
The GMX is Hornady's version of the Barnes TSX. As I recall, they perform very similarly. I would be willing to bet that either of those two would out-perform Mk318.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 4:45:10 PM EDT
[#2]
i think the GMX is a copper alloy and TSX is pure copper and has a tendency to shed peddles, whereas the GMX will mushroom out and stay more intact, depending on the media.

so you think both are better than the TNB1 bullet?

i thought they would be nearly the same if shot through a wall, metal, glass, something hard, etc because of the copper base.

i suppose its a horse, a horse and horse as the end of the day with these 3. i keep thinking 318 is going away but random ammo sellers keep listing it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 6:53:27 AM EDT
[#3]
MK318 is hard to beat for the cost. It does everything pretty decent.

I personally like Gold Dot 75gr/150gr, or MK318/MK319. Depending on the rifle I'm shooting, obviously. Gold Dot is very accurate, will expand out past 400 yards, and is rather nasty when it hits things in my experience. I've seen both people and animals hit by it. It happens to be rather effective. Part of my theory on that is that it expands so RAPIDLY when it hits meat, and it has sharp-ish "petals" rather than a "smooth dome" like most JSP's. It also expands to a very large diameter. It's just a very effective round, all in all.

That said, MK frags nasty, and that back half WILL EXIT.

If you are hunting for meat, or live in a community, I strongly suggest Gold Dot. If neither of those apply...find out which one the gun likes.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:16:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i think the GMX is a copper alloy and TSX is pure copper...
View Quote
TSX is pure copper, GMX is gilding metal.  Gilding metal is harder, so it is more difficult to get it to reliably expand.  The TSX has a broader expansion velocity window. Hornady products are excellent, but I think the Barnes is a more forgiving product. However, the GMX should inherently produce less fouling.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#5]
the pure copper worries me for the fouling reason but not sure thats a realistic concern for limited use.

tsx is hard to find commercially loaded and even then, its spendy. guess i'm being cheap so mk318 might be my pick.

i've bought small quantities of 318 and gmx for accuracy testing and overall i found 318 to be the same of better than gmx in my favorite barrels. thanks for the info guys.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 2:05:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the pure copper worries me for the fouling reason but not sure thats a realistic concern for limited use.

tsx is hard to find commercially loaded and even then, its spendy. guess i'm being cheap so mk318 might be my pick.

i've bought small quantities of 318 and gmx for accuracy testing and overall i found 318 to be the same of better than gmx in my favorite barrels. thanks for the info guys.
View Quote
I have not had fouling issues with Browntip, nor has anyone I know who shoots a lot of it.
All 3 of those rounds will mess things up.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:45:03 AM EDT
[#7]
The 55gn GMX bagged a 185lb Axis for me years back. 1 shot to the neck at 140yds did the job.

This load was in a 223 bolt and was running around 3200fps

It worked fine for me. They are super tough bullets and really have serious penetration.

Ive even pulled bullets from factory 55gn fed rounds and replaced with 55gn GMX with decent results to get the job done.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top