Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/19/2017 12:14:24 PM EDT
So I use American eagle 5.56 55 grain. Soon I'll be zeroing my new rifles with that particular ammo. Am I limited to that ammo/ grain after I'm done zeroing.  I would like to use other brands like pmc and heavier grains and I'm wondering if I'll still get good accuracy no matter what ammo I use. Please advise
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:18:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Every load will have its own point of impact and there's no way around it. As far as accuracy goes, different loads may be anywhere from extremely accurate (sub MOA) to extremely inaccurate (several MOA) depending on what YOUR barrel 'likes', but they won't necessarily impact at the same point as the load you zeroed with.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#2]
What kind of "accuracy" do you want to achieve?
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 4:04:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I zero mine with whatever my HD ammo is loaded into the magazines (currently Speer gold dot 55 grn). While this ammo is zeroed at 50 yards, the Wolf gold that is run through the same rifle will impact approximately 2 inches to the left at the same distance.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What kind of "accuracy" do you want to achieve?
View Quote
In other words will I still hit my target with at least 1 moa
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

In other words will I still hit my target with at least 1 moa
View Quote
Not necessarily. You need to see what shoots well for YOU in YOUR rifle that's comparable to AE 5.56. It's pretty tough to answer that question for you...and even when you have an answer, it can change with a different lot of ammunition.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:02:13 PM EDT
[#6]
You're not going to be getting anywhere near 1 moa with AE 5.56
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:38:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You're saying accuracy but you're really talking about point of impact (kind of the same thing anyway). If you zero with the AE, you'll probably find that most 55gr plinking ammo is going to be "close enough". Point of impact will probably be within an inch or two at 100 yards. If it's just a plinking rifle, zero it with whatever you'll be shooting most and just live with the slightly different points of impact from other ammo.

If this is going to be your go-to gun for social purposes, zero with your home/self-defense ammo and hopefully it'll be close enough for plinking purposes with different ammo.
View Quote
You pretty much read what I was trying to post. Just didn't know how to relay my exact question on the forum. But yes POI. As long as I'm hitting the target with good accuracy I won't have a problem on my selection of ammo.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 3:07:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Earlier this week I took a guy to zero his new MRO.  He shot Wolf steel 55 and Winchester SP brass.

The POI was 1" different at 50 yards off an improvised rest.

Oddly, the Wolf grouped considerably better than the Soft Point ammo.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top