Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/18/2017 1:15:19 PM EDT
Hey guys, I looked around but have been unable to find the lowest velocity that the Barnes 62 grain VOR-TX will still expand.  I originally had 64 grain Speer Gold Dot for my HD rifle which is a suppressed 10.5 AR and I switched over to Federal Fusion MSR 62 grain.  However after seeing the results that Eagle_19er obtained in his comprehensive ballistics thread I am thinking of moving to the Barnes load.  

So does anyone know the lowest velocity that will still allow this load (Barnes # 31190) to perform?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, I've got that info on my main computer after emailing Barnes directly for it last year. I can look it up later today and let you know here. I posted it in a thread that's long ago archived but can't remember off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 5:25:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Had to grab my computer early to do some work so here's a link to that thread:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/696242_.html&page=1

Short version: 62gr expands to 1900fps. 70gr expands to 1800fps.

Barnes did warn me that expansion does not mean FULL expansion and recommended 100-200fps above minimum for a more full expansion profile.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:10:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the information and with it being able to perform at such a low velocity makes it perfect for home defense in my situation.  I appreciate that you did the ballistics thread and were able to answer my question.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:03:31 PM EDT
[#4]
In research I'd done (Google, not firsthand) it appears the 62gr TSX expansion threshold is somewhere around 1800-1900 FPS. If you end up going for the TSX, and aren't married to the loading from Barnes, Remington uses this round in their "Hog Hammer".

When you switched from the GD to Fusion, I'm assuming it was for velocity reasons; as it's the same bullet. Regardless, IIRC, the expansion threshold for The GD/Fusion is in that same range of 1800ish FPS. Interestingly, the 55gr Speer GD is alleged to actually be loaded a little hotter. Rumor is that it's loaded closer to 5.56 pressure to meet some Federal agency requirements who use that particular loading. So, apples to apples, the velocity should already be higher with the 55gr. If it's actually also loaded to higher pressures, that should extend the effective range.

Frankly, IMHO, it's hard to do much better than the GD/Fusion.  With pistol rounds, I feel there is very clear winner with the HSTs. For rifle rounds, it seems like splitting hairs when comparing a number of the top tier defensive rounds. TSX, GD/Fusion, GMX, TBBC, Nosler (Ranger/SSA), CLUB. They're all excellent.

I suppose it depends on what your intended purpose is as well. If it's SD/CQB, velocity isn't likely to be an issue. In that regard, I'd be deciding based upon barrier and penetration requirements. If it's intermediate range performance, then I'd start looking more seriously at velocity thresholds, BCs, etc.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top