Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/17/2017 8:02:00 PM EDT
I bought 500rds of this[Tula not Wolf] back before the election,  as it was about all there was from SGammo at the time.    

I thought I'd  tried it out in my  20" DMR with lackluster results.  This rifle usually shoots around 1/2" groups with 69gr hand loads. Barrel is 1/7 twist.

Today we had a quick trip out to decompress and squeeze off a few rounds in the WY sunshine so I took a few mags of this along just to see how it did.  We were only shooting at 100 and 200yrds today, nothing serious, but there was a serious breeze out of the 2 o'clock position.  Probably 15mph.

At 200yrds, it was shooting outstanding groups on 12x12 steel.  If I remember correctly the velocity is pretty mild in this Wolf load and doesn't work well with my Z1000 reticle at longer ranges, but for a plinking round out to 200, it was great.     I was even picking off pieces of clay pigeons at 200 with ease.  

Anyone else find this round fairly accurate?

Best part was I didn't have to chase my cases down the rocks.  

@Sparks556 testing out his 74.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice camo jobs.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:05:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree, those rifles look great and what a nice place to go shooting.  I am jealous as the only place I can shoot is a regular rifle range.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:33:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:57:48 AM EDT
[#4]
No wind in Wyoming today?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:25:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Errr... any group measurements ?
View Quote
On the steel you could see the nose prints of each shot.  The 5 shot group I fired for testing was no more than 1.5" at 200yrds.  

On the pigeons and pieces it was hit after hit.  Way better than what I was expecting with the Wolf.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:35:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Great pics OP!  I have a 16" BCM complete light weight upper with and Aimpoint ACO that shoots 4 MOA with Wolf steel cased ammo.  I know, nothing to write home about but I shot about 1000 rds of it with no reliability issues whatsoever.  I'm going to to pair this rifle with a case or two of this ammo.  I used to be a Wolf hater.  It was 55 grain lacquer coated ammo.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 9:15:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Killed many a prairie dog with that round. It is significantly quieter than my 55gr loads through a can. As for accuracy I didn't put it on paper but it is minute of pdog out to ~300 yds.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Killed many a prairie dog with that round. It is significantly quieter than my 55gr loads through a can. As for accuracy I didn't put it on paper but it is minute of pdog out to ~300 yds.
View Quote
It ended up being minute of rock chuck for me at 600 yrds this weekend.  

I was surprised it was still matching up with my ballistic reticle at 600, but it was.  I had a 7-8mph breeze out of my 8 o'clock, and we were shooting slightly up hill.   The altitude and temp also helped.  My first shot ended up about 12" right, as the breeze was not really easy to feel, but after the bullet cleared a slight hill in front of us, it was being hit pretty good from the left.  

My second shot just missed low, maybe an inch, but my 3rd and 4th rounds found home.  My dad was impressed.  He was sure it was too far.  I've been trying for years to get him into ARs, as he has a huge gun collection, but he just isn't interested.   I tried to get him to shoot a few rounds out of it at other chucks,  no dice.  He had his Remington 700 VSSF in .22-250 and didn't want to shoot past 300yrds.

Anyway, it was anot her good day out with my dad, and I didn't have to chase any brass down the rock outcropping we were shooting off of.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Had to load up a few mags with this stuff today and am a bit embarrassed. ........  It's Tula, not Wolf.  I opened up the ammo can marked "Wolf 75gr" and there be a while bunch of boxes with "Tula" across them.

Sorry for the bad initial info.  

Still....  I need to order at least another 500yrds of this.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nice camo jobs.
View Quote
This is what I came to post... FPNI and all... +1
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 10:04:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice camo jobs.
Thank you.

Funny story, I used to be the guy who would never paint any of my firearms.    Sparks556 was always giving me shit about it.  Finally, on one of our shoots, after the pictures, my black rifle stood out like a sore thumb.  After that, I paint everything modern with a sponge job.  

Same rifle....

Even my handguns get the same treatment.  

The original photo that convinced me to paint it all.  
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top