Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/17/2017 4:38:51 PM EDT
was out shooting around noon and the temp was 97 on the phone app and who knows how hot in the direct sun where my wolf gold mags were laying on the tail gate.

they had been there about 45-60mins before i got around to shooting those mags. in the first 4 rounds i had one popped primer (got stuck under the trigger) and then 2 rounds later one stuck case. stopped after that

barrel is a BMC 20" GI type and its seen 1000's of rounds of this ammo before without issue. i never had any other issues with this box or any others, i've shoot probably 10,000 rounds of WG but never left them in the sun like this.

guessing the powder isnt heat stabilized, is that the correct term?

so just a word of caution, dont leave WG is the hot sun!
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 5:37:07 PM EDT
[#1]
it doesn't matter if it's heat-stabilized propellant, if you bake the ammunition the velocity will pick up
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 5:51:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Not a good idea to leave any ammo in hot direct sunlight. The chance of a malfunction is high.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 5:54:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Leaving ammo directly in the path of the sun during warmer climates will change the velocities and is something you should avoid when possible.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

guessing the powder isnt heat stabilized, is that the correct term?

so just a word of caution, dont leave WG is the hot sun!
View Quote

all powders will do it

you can also have problems if you leave it in a hot barrrel-ever heard of a cook off??
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#5]
ya i know all that, just saying its not nearly as dramatic in the federal xm193, IMI 193 and Winchester q3131a i was shooting today. WG really pressure spiked.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:29:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Dunno OP but I have shot thousands of rounds of American made ammunition that has been in direct sun light, heat/temperatures well in excess of 100 degrees and never had an issue.  This ranges from ammunition that fed our .50 cals, m249's, 240's, M16's, M4's and M9's.  Maybe there actually is an issue with the ammunition you were shooting.  Not an expert but I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:56:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not a good idea to leave any ammo in hot direct sunlight. The chance of a malfunction is high.
View Quote
nonsense.  using an MV-temp table you can squeeze out additional distance
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:13:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Dunno OP but I have shot thousands of rounds of American made ammunition that has been in direct sun light, heat/temperatures well in excess of 100 degrees and never had an issue.  This ranges from ammunition that fed our .50 cals, m249's, 240's, M16's, M4's and M9's.  Maybe there actually is an issue with the ammunition you were shooting.  Not an expert but I hope this helps.
View Quote
everyone is missing the point.

i have shot thousands of round that were sun soaked too, been living in AZ for 30 years so it happens. NEVER had a problem with hot powder in ANY factory load.

i have also shot this case of wold gold through various rifles in lower temps, sub 90 degrees without issues.

all i am saying is the power they use in wolf gold seems to be pretty sensitive to heat.

none of my other rounds today had any issues.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:26:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:12:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Interesting.

I suggest, if you have a chrono... you conduct a test.
View Quote
ditto.  how are the primers?
any cratered or popped?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:14:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn't even consider leaving my ammo sitting in the hot sun no matter who made it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:51:42 AM EDT
[#12]
https://www.ocabj.net/55gr-5-56-nato-and-223-remington-ammunition-comparison/

Interesting look at the Wolf Gold Powder in that picture.

Honestly I have never had an issue with Wolf gold in 8 Classes and all but two in the hot summer the past two years on the East Coast.  No issues.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:13:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
all i am saying is the power they use in wolf gold seems to be pretty sensitive to heat.
View Quote
in your rifle, not in general.

Your rifle could have a shorter chamber, tighter or overgassed to begin with, thats why people are saying its a known problem. The ammo could have loose primers/oversized pockets or weaker brass.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:28:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

ditto.  how are the primers?
any cratered or popped?
View Quote
as i said, just one popped primer. others were pretty flat.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I wouldn't even consider leaving my ammo sitting in the hot sun no matter who made it.
View Quote
i dont normally leave shit sitting on the tail gate when its this hot but didnt think about it that day.

just saying though, the other brands of ammo i had with me were all at the same temp and didnt have any signs of being over pressured from the heat.

dont misunderstand here, i am in not in way shitting on WG, i love this stuff and especially at the current prices i will continue to shoot and buy it. just aint gonna leave it in the sun!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top