Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2017 8:45:19 PM EDT
I have about 2000 clips from ammo I've shot over the last year.

I haven't tried reloading the clips but was wondering if anyone else does and how well do they hold up over multiple uses.

Seems like an easy enough project sitting around watching tv in the evenings and at the range I must confess loading magazines in 4 or 5 seconds beats the hell out of loading individual rounds.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:02:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I have reused them even after the tabs were gone. I have moved a couple times and lost some, gave some away... and now my stash is down to maybe 30 clips.. They are always a good thing to have on hand.
I have looked at some repack kits,,, but the cost is way more than it was back in the mid 90s...
I don't really use them a lot anymore, but having 3-4 bandoleers full gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:05:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes. 
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:07:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes. All my 5.56 and 300blk reloads go on stripper clips and into ammo cans. Easy to load mags and easier to count how many rounds I have available. I try not to bend the tabs all the way so they last longer and still hold rounds fine.

You can get them pretty cheap on eBay or gunbroker.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:09:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, I do.

Picked up a duffle bag full of bandoleers & cardboards from the rifle range that were headed to the dumpster.  A few spoons & most of the safety pins were there, but few strippers.

Bought some at a gunshow & repacked some of them.   More than my family can carry.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:28:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I do because they are annoyingly hard to get up here
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 11:01:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 5:21:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I reuse stripper clips all the time. I currently have 4000rds of Wolf Gold loaded on stripper clips, packed in the 840rd milspec ammo cans (1000 per can). I still got many more ready to be loaded lol

I avoid bending the tabs as much as possible so I only load and unload the clips on the side where the tab is already bent down.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 6:06:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought a box of them years ago. I use them until a tab breaks off, then I throw them out.  My guess it that the tabs will break after about 5 uses.  

You lose the time you spend loading them. But it makes the ammo easier to handle, count and load into magazines.  So it's worth it to me.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:19:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I reuse them one time. Fill them back up with reloads and into a can they go for permanent storage.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Waste of time.  

Between this, the maglula, and the speedloader for the Beta Mag, there is no need to shred my hands on a strip.  If I still had to in the mil, I would buy the lula or beta loader that worked for the strips, but see no advantage to preloaded strips.  Most Marines didn't have access to the loading spoons at the time, so strips were fairly worthless.  I had a spoon and had a thick leather love for shoving rounds into the mag.   I will just buy more mags if I ever feel I don't have enough loaded at the ready.  

I can keep full mags in ammo cans just as easily as loaded strips and sleep soundly at night. 
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:48:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought some used stripper clips one time to use for a training course. It could've been the sand, but my experience was bad. Not only were they difficult to setup and very difficult to strip into the magazines, but I had a few FTF's using magazines loaded with them. It was a pain in the ass, and it turned out to be easier and more reliable to just manually load all my mags. Never had another FTF, even out of the same mags, once I stopped using the old clips.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:04:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:00:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I use them, but I started during the AWB when mags were at a premium.  

I also got clips cheap from a milsurp salvager.  

Nowadays I typically keep a case of wolf on clips to grab if I take a training class on short notice.  Otherwise, I typically just load mags the night before I'm going to shoot and I rarely shoot more than a few hundred rounds a day unless at a class.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:07:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I repack my ammo into strippers, keep a spoon with each bandoleer also.  Always amazed me watch regular Joes reloading magazines the hard way.  When using a spoon keep the pressure on the back of the cartridges near the stripper, not the front.  98% don't know that the bandoleer can also hold those 4ea 30 rd mags that they just loaded.  Have to show them how to pull that white string to unzip it.  

CD
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:20:30 PM EDT
[#15]
They'll hold M14 mags that way, too.

& if you don't pull the string, they are perfect for USGI 20's...
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top