Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2017 1:44:47 PM EDT
I recently acquired a "knock around" PSA 308 AR, and have a PTR91 that I've relegated to cheap ammo (accurate, but smashes cases on the way out).  I've generally been a FGGM guy when it comes to 308, but I see that the price of steel-cased 308 rivals brass 223 (32-35 cpr), which would allow me to ramp up the 308 usage to previously unheard of 223 levels.  Tula is the cheapest at ~32cpr, and wolf poly is next at ~35cpr.  I've always avoided Tula in favor of the Barnaul products (who makes Wolf now), the latter of which are more consistent and seem higher quality.  I'm wondering if anyone has recent experience with steel cased 308 (Tula and/or Wolf) and can give me pros/cons of either or both.  Thx.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 5:01:20 PM EDT
[#1]
There is no way I would use Tula or Ulyanovsk ammo.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/672170_PSA--Wolf-308-150gr-very-bad-ammo-buyer-beware.html

^^^^That ammo was imported by wolf from the Ulyanovsk factory, Ulyanovsk and tula both produce for "tula ammo" now.

I have not had problems with barnaul wolf/silver bear imported ammo.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I tried only 20rd of Tula 308 that my friend had in my pre-ban Argentine FAL... the 1st round I ever shot had a case head separation resulted a blown out magazine floor plate and a destroyed magazine.

Everything else was fine but the case was stuck in the chamber pretty good.
A pliers was necessary to remove the case.

I later decided to shoot the remaining 19rds without any problem.... BUT! I don't think I will shoot Tula anymore.

Also have shot exactly 500rds of Wolf 308 with some less dramatic problem.
In my FAL and BM59, I did experience 5 torn/broken case rim that also resulted in stuck chamber malfunction.

I think I will continue to shoot Wolf, but I will also be buying brass ammo
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 5:27:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought tula soft point and shot it in my ptr91 without any problems, in fact the accuracy seemed on par with several hunting bullets I was testing.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top