Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/10/2017 8:10:34 AM EDT
I have seen this ammunition was being offered in the 5.56 line and noticed its geared for SBR/HD use. It uses the Hornady Interlock bullet designed for controlled expansion. It is also used in many other calibers for deer hunting rounds offered by Hornady. I believe it would make one really nice all around heavy hunting bullet to shoot out of carbines for whitetail deer. Between this and Gold Dot 75 this seems to be our best option for the heavier bullets that are indeed expanding ammunition.

I looked throughout the forum and have found very little information on this ammo, I suspect since it is fairly new. Any additional input is appreciated. I will buy a box to shoot through my 1:7 Troy upper.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:07:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:31:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have seen this ammunition was being offered in the 5.56 line and noticed its geared for SBR/HD use. It uses the Hornady Interlock bullet designed for controlled expansion. It is also used in many other calibers for deer hunting rounds offered by Hornady. I believe it would make one really nice all around heavy hunting bullet to shoot out of carbines for whitetail deer. Between this and Gold Dot 75 this seems to be our best option for the heavier bullets that are indeed expanding ammunition.

I looked throughout the forum and have found very little information on this ammo, I suspect since it is fairly new. Any additional input is appreciated. I will buy a box to shoot through my 1:7 Troy upper.
View Quote

Search for 5.56 TAP 75gr SBR. It's the exact same bullet.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:20:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Search for 5.56 TAP 75gr SBR. It's the exact same bullet.
View Quote
Although similar, It is a different projectile in the TAP SBR. The tap has 2 cannelures and a blunt tip and a flat base

The Black uses the Interlock projectile which seems to have more exposed lead, a single cannelure, and the signature "interlock" internal ring.

I suspect they will both have similar results in terminal performance on game. I am unaware if the .22 cal bullet on the Interlock has a Boat tail or flat base. I suspect a flat base with the low .230 BC on the interlock projectile
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#4]
The Interlock bullet is essentially Hornady's version of the Remington Core-Lokt, Federal Powershok, Winchester Power Point.. and any other standard cup/core type bullet.  I would expect it to perform similarly.

Heres 64gr Winchester power point
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcCSjouaFrs&t=273s
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:06:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No real experience with this specific round, but Hornady has been very innovative with .223 /5.56 rounds... and they all work well.

So IMHO, I would be confident it does well. I'd probably buy it just based off of Hornady's reputation.

I know that does offer much .. but..

Another thread..

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/474037_Hornady-Black-75gr-5-56-ammo-claiming-6-7DB-sound-reduction.html&page=1&anc=bottom#bottom
View Quote
well....i'm a big hornady fan too but they did seem to make one turd of a bullet with the 70gr GMX in that it doesnt like to open up.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 12:15:37 PM EDT
[#6]
After more comparison, It seems this is probably the same projectile as the TAP 75 SBR load. Both descriptions are identical from the Hornady vs Hornadyle sites. I seen Molon did a range report on it, but I'd be interested in the 16" barrel velocity. If I had to make an educated guess it's in the 2500-2550 range.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:50:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I was thinking about picking some of this ammo up for my 8.5" build.  It handled Black Hills 77gr OTM really well but I would rather use that for longer distance work and something else with similar or better terminal ballistics for close range.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 2:38:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am going to have to purchase some and take the SBR round apart.
View Quote
I'm eager to see your findings and Also purchase some ammo for myself to see how my 1-7 upper likes it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:25:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Sure does look JUST like it. I was thinking different with the "interlock" name bullet, BUT if you read the description of each they are word for word. Same ammo different box. Thanks for the effort. Ill await ammo testing.
I'm waiting on my lower to come in so I can put some rounds through the pipe.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#12]
I wander if that 2900 ish FPS velocity is out of a 24" tube? Typically a 75 grain will be about 2500 out of a 16"
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:28:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sure does look JUST like it. I was thinking different with the "interlock" name bullet, BUT if you read the description of each they are word for word. Same ammo different box. Thanks for the effort. Ill await ammo testing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I have both the TAP and Black ammo. As far as I can tell, the only real difference is the box and the fact that some dealers have this asinine idea that TAP (Tactical Application Police) means it is not for sale to civilians, whereas they don't have the same qualms about selling the Black ammo to civilians. Were I to guess, I would wager that's part of the reason for the rebranding/repackaging by Hornady.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I wander if that 2900 ish FPS velocity is out of a 24" tube? Typically a 75 grain will be about 2500 out of a 16"
View Quote
2900 for this bullet is screaming, and would have to be out of a longer barrel.  I believe TAP SBR advertised velocity is 2310, with expansion (per Hornady's rep) down to 1500 FPS.

My own testing showed TAP SBR at ~2400 out of a 12.5" barrel, but that chrono was a bit suspect.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#15]
test
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top