Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2017 5:39:57 PM EDT
I used to buy crates of this stuff from sgammo cheap years ago.
Well I am just about out and have not been able to find any cans cheap enough to stock up again. Anyone know if imports are going to happen again or did it all dry up?
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 6:04:40 PM EDT
[#1]
The flow of surplus 54r stopped with the war in the Ukraine.  It's down to buying new made Russian 54r for the foreseeable future.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 6:11:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The flow of surplus 54r stopped with the war in the Ukraine.  It's down to buying new made Russian 54r for the foreseeable future.
View Quote
this saddens me. Wish I would of bought more then 4 cans. Mosin's are always the popular rifles to shoot when I take groups out.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 6:14:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
this saddens me. Wish I would of bought more then 4 cans. Mosin's are always the popular rifles to shoot when I take groups out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm down to near 800 rounds of the Russian surplus.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#4]
90% of the surplus 7.62x54r and 7n6 from the last 10 years was comping out of Ukraine. The pro russian deposed president was surplusing huge stockpiles of the stuff all the while standing down military units left and right. Surprise surprise but the Russians invaded, almost like it was planned or something.

Anyway forget about cheap surplus 54r as Russia is the only country making it anymore in any quantity. They are busy supplying their various proxy wars throughout the former CCCP and Syria. The other large factory for it was Factory 270 (LCW) in Ukraine. that was seized by the Russians early in the war.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 7:37:39 PM EDT
[#5]
In for a bump. I'm pretty curious myself. It's hard to imagine that only the Ruskies are making any. Where is all the LC?
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In for a bump. I'm pretty curious myself. It's hard to imagine that only the Ruskies are making any. Where is all the LC?
View Quote
LC? Lake City? not in 54r if that's what you mean.

LCW, Wolf, Hotshot, LCC, Fr or 270 are all headstamps often produced from the Ukrainian factory in lugansk. It is not operating anymore.
Many countries that produced it have stopped or switched to .308. Russia and China are pretty much it in quantity. Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia, and Hungary may still make a little on occasion but its way overpriced. Even the Russians are seriously looking at retiring the round.

54r is a goner in the long run.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:09:41 AM EDT
[#7]
All in China and Russia. You missed the boat.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:33:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I have seen Winchester boxers in Wal-Mart before... might start looking at reloading the boxer primed brass cased stuff...
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have seen Winchester boxers in Wal-Mart before... might start looking at reloading the boxer primed brass cased stuff...
View Quote
I might be wrong but I am pretty sure Winchester subbed out some white box products to PPU or other E European companies for a while 5-10 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:27:46 PM EDT
[#10]
This article says that production at the Ukrainian plant restarted 14 months ago and ammo would be exported.  I'll believe it when I see it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:27:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Surplus is gone :(  I still have about 600 rounds of it left.  All the new manuf stuff even the steel cased ammo I'm finding is around 50ish cents a round.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:48:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This article says that production at the Ukrainian plant restarted 14 months ago and ammo would be exported.  I'll believe it when I see it.
View Quote
Probably under the Red Army or Wolf label
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:32:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Probably under the Red Army or Wolf label
View Quote
That factory is not operating, trust me. Russian propaganda did a little spiel video to make it look like the people of Donbass are prospering under there leadership.
So much bullshit.

Most of the real equipment, the machinery that built the machines  that make ammo was spirited off in white Russian aide trucks to places unknown.

Much of the remaining equipment was sold as metal scraps by toothless drunk mercenaries. The video is what they made from the leftovers still lying around.
Nothing good is coming out of that part of the country now.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:11:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Damn. I shouldn't of shot everything but 80 rounds.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:09:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I might be wrong but I am pretty sure Winchester subbed out some white box products to PPU or other E European companies for a while 5-10 years ago.
View Quote
S&B used to make it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:38:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Who is making the Romanian stuff currently sold by Century as RAS right now?  Looks a lot like the Hot Shot 8mm crap, though this SEEMS to work okay, if maybe a tick under loaded.  My favorite commercial steel load was Brown Bear 150 grain but I've not seen that in quite awhile, I recall last buying it in a generic white box.  Prvi makes good stuff for Mosins with their Match line.  Mostly running handloads in my Finn M91 right now.

And the end of x54r surplus is why my PSL is kind of expendable.  I don't see myself shooting that gun much when I burn up the last of my surplus.  Ruins brass or chucks it a half mile away making reloading as expensive as buying new stuff, and at .50CPR I'd rather shoot something in .308 that is a little more consistently accurate.  My Mosins I probably only shoot 30, MAYBE 40 rounds a trip except when I do matches (those are handloads anyway), but something like the PSL you can burn four or five packs of 20 before you realize it.  

Already shot the last of my commercial Tula I got a deal on... $200/500 rounds OTD at a gun show early fall 2015 when prices had started to really come down following the great panic of 2013 and before Black Friday where the rush seemed to start again.  Wish I had bought the other case they had that day, haven't seen it that cheap since.  Right now I still have about 200 loose rounds and a sealed 440 of the lot SGA had, and a sealed 440 can of silver tip that is only getting opened if SHTF.  When this stuff was cheap I had no money, now I have the money and can't bring myself to spend it
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:48:57 AM EDT
[#17]
There might be some surplus x54r sitting around somewhere in eastern europe or finland that may get sent over eventually. However, the vast quantity of really cheap stuff is gone and the wars/instability is stopping exports to here for now. Russia has metric shit tons of the stuff still. If they switch off 7.62x54r to something different we might see it. A lot of the stockpiled Russian stuff is "AP" though.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:24:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

LCW, Wolf, Hotshot, LCC, Fr or 270 are all headstamps often produced from the Ukrainian factory in lugansk. It is not operating anymore.
Many countries that produced it have stopped or switched to .308. Russia and China are pretty much it in quantity. Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia, and Hungary may still make a little on occasion but its way overpriced. Even the Russians are seriously looking at retiring the round.

View Quote
Wolf isn't from any particular country dumb dumb. In fact "Wolf" doesn't make any ammunition.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:38:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Christ they've been saying for years the crates were drying up O.o. there even was a nice extra batch last year for a decent price (only a small premium over old prices). That ship has sailed, I got mine.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 4:24:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He probably means Lead Core. Traditionally there was 4 possible types of surplus back in the day from like a dozen countries

Lead core light ball
Steel core light ball
Lead core heavy ball
Steel core heavy ball

Didn't take long for all of it to dry up except the Russian/Ukraine stuff (lead core light ball 147gr)

I miss shooting heavy ball in a mosin carbine. How I learned to not flinch and take recoil
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:34:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Wolf isn't from any particular country dumb dumb. In fact "Wolf" doesn't make any ammunition.
View Quote
And where did I infer that they were from one country? I know very well what wolf is. They are just a middle man, but they do have other companies produce brass with their headstamp.

Improve your reading comprehension because I never said they were in any one country. I just said LCW has made a great deal of wolf stamped brass.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:22:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Not what I wanted to read.

Now I have to decide what I want to do for my mosin.

Guess I should be glad I bought what I did when I did.

Glad I never found a semi-auto in this round as well.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:26:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well I am just about out and have not been able to find any cans cheap enough to stock up again. Anyone know if imports are going to happen again or did it all dry up?
View Quote

Thousands of cases are sitting in people's closets waiting for surviving family members to sell them at yard sales when the ammo hoarder dies.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:47:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Thousands of cases are sitting in people's closets waiting for surviving family members to sell them at yard sales when the ammo hoarder dies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

sounds like my family
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 2:19:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
They will also sell the Mosins that go with the ammo for pennies on the dollar. 
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 4:54:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I have 16k stored in the basement. Buy it cheap and stack it deep.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#27]
If there is good news it is that the caliber is still in use around the world
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 1:32:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
sounds like my family
View Quote
All that ammo is old and icky, they'll take it to the PD to get destroyed
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top