Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2017 1:12:30 AM EDT
Title begs the question.  I've been shooting 75 grain Prvi Partizan and Hornady Steel Match through my new XCR.  The stuff shoots great and it's only $.60 a round.  Not cheap, but still way cheaper than most 75 grain ammunition.  What's everyone's opinion on this round for home defense?  I know I can get Wolf Gold for 1/2 the price, but I've never been a fan of FMJs for 2 legged varmints.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 2:50:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never used it, but looking out in WWW land, it seems some like it and some hate it. Those who like it seem to be using it for hunting.
For the money, I'm stocking up on Gold Dots.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:53:31 AM EDT
[#2]
You decide. The Hornady if I have been told properly will be somewhat the same, both fragmenting.
If you want an expanding round, Gold Dot, Fusion, or a few others will work very well.
Gel Test
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 11:01:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 1:01:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Considering I can easily find Horn. Steel Match 75gr for around 40 cents per round.

I would stick with the proven bullet.
View Quote
I've had a stuck case using that load. The Prvi does well in gel anyway
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 1:07:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Hornady Steel Training 75 is my favorite 75 grain load. It shoots very well in most of my guns and the "T1" bullet is proven.

I still have some of the older PPU 75 and 69gr loads. It shoots pretty good but not as good as the Hornady. The PPU velocity is kinda slow. I believe the PPU bullets are also good performers though.

The AFRCOM hive has since moved away from the OTM fragmenting loads that were worshiped 8-10 years ago. Now we are all into bonded, barrier blind.

Unless you get a fantastic deal on the PPU or your rifles just loves it, I would get Gold Dot 64 or 75gr loads or Honady 75 Steel Training using the T1 bullet (canalure)
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I've killed a lot of pigs with the PPU 75gr OTM component (bought about 7K of them way back), but wouldn't depend on them for HD.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 5:36:25 PM EDT
[#7]
75 grain gold dot is $.90 a round
 No spank you.  64 grain is about the same as 75 grain ppu, $.50 a round.  I might consider it.  I know we're all about the latest in greatest with bullet tech, but cost matters.  If I can't afford a couple of bricks on a regular basis I don't have any interest in it.  I gotta practice.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 6:29:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
75 grain gold dot is $.90 a round
 No spank you.  64 grain is about the same as 75 grain ppu, $.50 a round.  I might consider it.  I know we're all about the latest in greatest with bullet tech, but cost matters.  If I can't afford a couple of bricks on a regular basis I don't have any interest in it.  I gotta practice.
View Quote
For home defense pretty much any round will work for practice, although I do like to use the 75gr PPU components as they are decent at distance.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:14:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Considering I can easily find Horn. Steel Match 75gr for around 40 cents per round.

I would stick with the proven bullet.
View Quote
This. Same bullet as one of the TAP loads, works great, and is cheap. I have my HD carbine loaded with it right now. I haven't shot any of it in a long time because it used to be so hard to come by, but it seems to be in stock at Midway right now.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:39:30 AM EDT
[#10]
It is a good load. I shot it in 3 gun for a while. No issues. I think it would be a good HD round. It has good velocity and a open tip bullet. Contact member bluefalcon here in ARF and see if he has a gel test of it.

The only negative is the primer pocket crimp is huge and takes a little more time to chamfer. That is really a non-issue.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:37:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:47:17 PM EDT
[#12]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/430256_Ballistic_gel_test_results_for_Prvi_Partizan_75_grain_OTM.html

I roll my own with those bullets, they are a pretty accurate heavy bullet.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:59:16 AM EDT
[#13]
GT distributors is a great company.  Loved shopping in their Austin store when I was stationed at Ft Hood
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#14]
ooooh   gotta get me some more of that... IMO.. One of the best ammo bargain on the market..
High quality loads on a steel berdan case. Cant beat it.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top