Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2017 6:25:36 AM EDT
The rest of the 7.62x51 collection.  Still a work in progress, always looking.

Sabot (SAYBEAU) Light Armor Penetrator or SLAP.  M948 for military.  Small 52gr tungsten carbide penetrator in a plastic .308 sabot that travels at 4000fps.  Military stopped using them if used in a muzzle break and only makes the 50bmg version anymore.  The tracer (M959) uses a M193 projectile that's has an orange tip.

Infrared Dim Tracer or M276.  Ultra low light tracer that's only seen with Night Vision Goggles.  Uses an R440 Trace compound which has Barium and Strontium Peroxide, Calcium Resonate and Magnesium Carbonate.  2014 + 2016 have been sectioned, just never made it to the picture.  In 2010 a second marking cannalure was added to tell difference at night.  2014 started the DOT Scamping  system on the head stamp.  
Thanks for looking   wolfganggross

Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:34:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool post!
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:25:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:26:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Your ammo collection is impressive before one takes into consideration that half of it has been halved!
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks op.

Since your mention of SCAMP, can you link me to some reading material on them? I haven't been able to find anything on it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:04:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks op.

Since your mention of SCAMP, can you link me to some reading material on them? I haven't been able to find anything on it.
View Quote
Here's a starting point.... The Small Caliber Ammunition Modernization Program includes a LOT of initiatives.  The headstamp part is simply a way to identify the machine that made a particular case.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:12:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 8:52:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Anyone know where you can buy these or the components?
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 8:19:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Here's a starting point.... The Small Caliber Ammunition Modernization Program includes a LOT of initiatives.  The headstamp part is simply a way to identify the machine that made a particular case.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks op.

Thanks for answering, I'm not even up to date with all of it.   So many bullets, not enough time!

You can still buy sabots for rolling your own, but the tungsten carbide projectiles is going to be a tough one to find.  (Try Ebay, serious)  Although, you can do some damage with a .300 win mag loaded with a saboted M855! The jacket will start to tear off around 4500fps in mid flight.
Factory loaded SLAPS are just not made any more and are getting tougher to find.  Common ones sell for $35 on Gunbroker when you can find them.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top