Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2017 6:12:17 PM EDT
What hollow point 9mm ammo do you recommend for training and testing.  So, relatively inexpensive.  

Want to test function.  Like feeding mainly for a 9mm upper and lower (multiple and multiple combinations).  In semi and auto.  

If everything works then I'll test with my carry ammo.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#1]
HST's are relatively inexpensive for hollow points. $17-$23 for 50 depending on where you look.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Exactly what I carry.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:41:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Why bother testing with ammo that doesn't really make a difference whether it works or not? If it has issues with your carry ammo you won't use much and if it works fine then you'd have shot that in stage 2 anyway.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry 147 grain HST and sight in with that.  I find in my G`19 that Winchester 124 grain NATO white box and Federal AE 147 grain FMJ FN shoot very close to point of impact for the HST.  

The only way to test your carry ammo is to shoot alot of it however.  Rotate your stock by shooting older ammo and replacing with newer.  I buy HST in 500 round lots and practice ammo by the 1000 count.  But shoot and sight in with your your carry ammo!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why bother testing with ammo that doesn't really make a difference whether it works or not? If it has issues with your carry ammo you won't use much and if it works fine then you'd have shot that in stage 2 anyway.
View Quote
Why would I test with ammo that is having issues feeding?   I know the hollow points don't feed.  

This isn't rocket science.   The hollow point geometry isn't the same as ball ammo.  If it feeds hollow points, that's what I am looking for.  

Then the reliability testing starts once the kinks are gone.

I've got the ball ammo at 100% with many brands at this point.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Try some 9bple or if Sgammo gets more, the wolf gold jhp.

They are both cheap, about the price of .45acp ball. Iirc the wg was even cheaper, making it great as stacking ammo (jhp that may not expand beats fmj any day).

I have NOT used the wg jhp YET because my ammo budget is $0 right now.

I have had great results with 9bple and use it with confidence.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Try different ammo. Changing the pistol is not easy or really practical. Different HP ammo is shaped, and proportioned different.
I like HST, I have used Gold Dot in the past, and have some Hornady Critical Defense for a pistol that doesn't function with any of the other HP I have on hand.

Swing till you win. You won't "make" and ammo work in a particular firearm. Feed ramps of different length and width can make things fussy.

Happy Hunting
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:41:19 AM EDT
[#9]
SGAmmo sometimes has Fed Hydra Shok  as cheap as ball.

I buy it in .40 and .45 when they have it in stock. Good range ammo and better than ball if needed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:39:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Winchester White Box JHP is pretty cheap sometimes.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top