Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/7/2017 5:36:57 PM EDT
Does anyone have this?
I have googled, searched this site, and even contacted speer.
Their rep, Justin, was totally unhelpful - he told me it "varies based on barrel length and what you're shooting at."  Couldn't or wouldn't give me a solid bare-gel number.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#1]
75gr Gold Dot vs. 64gr Gold Dot
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:43:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Lol - nothing about expansion thresholds?
What a retarded post.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:54:40 PM EDT
[#3]
No kidding.  Seems like quite the wasted post.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I actually called a Speer rep a couple of years ago to get this info for the 64gr stuff.  He didn't have an answer for me but did say it preformed out to 250 yards from a 10.3 inch barrel.  Take that for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 7:36:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Speer needs to step it up.
It would NOT be hard for them to reduce the power in their loads in an incremental fashion, to gauge expansion in 100 fps increments.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I was wondering the same thing. Bought quite a bit of it and wondering if it'll work to at least close to the ranges my TMKs currently do.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:07:52 AM EDT
[#7]
My understanding has been the 75gr load was designed with SBR's in mind.

The 64gr load alledgedly expands at 1800 fps and up: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?120445-Your-thoughts-of-223-64-gr-SPEER-GDSP

I ordered 20 boxes from Palmetto State recently due to their price. I would make sure you count anything you order from them though as they shorted me a box.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:20:19 PM EDT
[#8]
FWIW

Chrono'd at 2,550 at the muzzle.  Shot two hogs at 230 yds and 252 yds and both bullets expanded completely.
Not sure if that helps at all.

P
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:39:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I will not be buying any more Speer ammo.
Their support is simply retarded.

I asked them for expansion thresholds for the 64gr and 75gr and this was their response:  

"Brad, this link will give you the gelatin test for both rounds. http://le.vistaoutdoor.com/ammunition/speer/rifle/compare.aspx?compare=24475%2C24446  Gel test will be below the data."

They don't know their shit.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:53:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I asked them for expansion thresholds for the 64gr and 75gr and this was their response:  

"Brad, this link will give you the gelatin test for both rounds. http://le.vistaoutdoor.com/ammunition/speer/rifle/compare.aspx?compare=24475%2C24446  Gel test will be below the data."

View Quote

They know how to make an excellent expanding bullet in .223.  To not buy any more of a bullet that is a proven performer because the company won't tell you the expansion threshold seems silly.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:26:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Does it?
I think it's an important buying consideration to know the max range at which your projectile will work.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 8:00:17 PM EDT
[#12]
We know it works out to at least 250 yards.  To say speer doesn't know their shit is incorrect.   They're making one of the best 223 defense rounds on the market.   I'm not going to lose any sleep on exact fps expansion thresholds.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#13]
It's 1800fps.

Take the velocity from your barrel, then plug the numbers into JBM, Strelok ( great app for your phone, also Sean Kindy's Shooter app ), or other ballistic app with the correct BC ( some provide that number, others don't, but it will be on the Speer site ), and look at the table. You can tell from there how many yards it will go from your rifle and still expand as designed.

Please note, that expansion will vary based on what you hit, and will vary from projectile to projectile some just due to manufacturing tolerances.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 12:27:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Where'd you get 1800 for the 75gr?
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 3:35:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Seeing how most federal , state and local LE is using 5.56 ammo with some sort of speer bullet, I doubt they will miss you, lol.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 3:59:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I feel like they know their shit just fine, they've designed some of the most used and well-regarded bullets for LE applications. Whoever you got in touch with, however, may not have.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
FWIW

Chrono'd at 2,550 at the muzzle.  Shot two hogs at 230 yds and 252 yds and both bullets expanded completely.
Not sure if that helps at all.

P
View Quote

Helps quite a bit actually.  Thanks.  
Is that velocity from a 16"?
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I actually called a Speer rep a couple of years ago to get this info for the 64gr stuff.  He didn't have an answer for me but did say it preformed out to 250 yards from a 10.3 inch barrel.  Take that for what it's worth.
View Quote

This would result in lower rotational velocity at impact, which would skew performance results, as rotational velocity decays much slower than linear velocity, and it is responsible in assisting/further opening a soft-point rifle bullet to the point that it is meaningful as relates to the question at hand.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:23:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Where'd you get 1800 for the 75gr?
View Quote

It's kindof a "canned answer" from several people in the industry, re:GDSP .223. That said, I personally like for bullets to hit at 2000fps or higher. It removes the "fickle" one's mostly. Not every skivving is going to be just as deep as the next, so to speak, and if you keep impact velocities at 2,000fps+, you SHOULD* be beyond individual projectile quirks. I know I have had, at 100 yards, 75gr Gold Dot that expanded more than its neighbor, tested into water, so I presume that difference would carry over further downrange.

Also, kinetic energy matters, as well.

The safe answer?

You will likely see satisfactory performance down to 1800fps, you will almost certainly see it at 2,000fps, and down to about 1600fps in "ideal scenarios" (broad-side on a hog with thick gristle, etc.) you will probably see expansion, from the 24475 loading.

*I am not professionally affiliated with ATK, nor do I sell their equipment, or deal with them professionally.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:14:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Good. More for us.

And to say they don't know their shit makes it look like YOU don't know your shit since it's very obvious they know how to make a serious, devastating bullet.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:19:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:08:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This would result in lower rotational velocity at impact, which would skew performance results, as rotational velocity decays much slower than linear velocity, and it is responsible in assisting/further opening a soft-point rifle bullet to the point that it is meaningful as relates to the question at hand.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

holy cow....!!!  really? you just opened a new can of worms for my gray matter to obsess over.

for what its worth here, i'd trust speer gold dots to save my life over an fmj any day.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 8:20:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Non-tech nonsense removed, warning issued - Eric802
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 9:51:53 PM EDT
[#24]
And we're done.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top