Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/3/2017 8:31:09 PM EDT
I've been looking around for decent factory loaded supersonic Blackout ammo.  I've seen a few loads in the $.50/round range, but not much.

I've always been a 5.56 shooter, and when it comes to range ammo, Xm193 is always to dtandard.  Is there anything similar in Blackout ?  I get that it won't be $.30/round cheap, but just looking for what's decent stuff at a decent price.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 8:38:23 PM EDT
[#1]
This is what I always buy
It shoots great and the brass is great for reloading
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 9:04:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is what I always buy
It shoots great and the brass is great for reloading
View Quote

Good to know. That's one of the loads I have earmarked
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 6:31:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Magtech here, too.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 1:52:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I concur also with the Magtech. Bought that same 1000rd case after going through a few boxes to confirm my blackout rifles liked it. I'd say i've gone through 700 total rds so far without a hiccup. Accuracy is not to bad either.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:48:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I was gonna post the same question.
Just jumped in to .300bo and have only shot Magtec 125 gr, ADI 144 gr, AE 150 and Rem. 220 subs.

I was only shooting out to 50 yards but the Magtec was shooting just as well as the other supers. At 50 cents/round I'll buy more.

I have some Sellers & Bellot on the way as well. Their handgun ammo has performed OK for me but I can usually find better for cheaper. But they have .300bo in multiple weights up to subsonic for CHEAP, so gotta try it.

Also would like to try some Privi, that's been good to me in other calibers.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:14:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I've really liked the Remington-UMC 120gr OTFB stuff.  Yes, it says "Remington," but the stuff is loaded by Barnes, and Barnes makes the (excellent) bullets.  Sadly, they're not available for the handloader...

I've bought it at Academy Sports for about $15/box, but I haven't stocked up on it.  I handload...which I believe is the only way to go with 300 Blackout.  At least so far.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:49:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've really liked the Remington-UMC 120gr OTFB stuff.  Yes, it says "Remington," but the stuff is loaded by Barnes, and Barnes makes the (excellent) bullets.  Sadly, they're not available for the handloader...

I've bought it at Academy Sports for about $15/box, but I haven't stocked up on it.  I handload...which I believe is the only way to go with 300 Blackout.  At least so far.
View Quote
RP brass or Barnes brass?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:52:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I did see that Modern Arms International has new brass .300bo 125 gr Speer TNT for $145/250 rnds, or 58 cents/round.
No experience with MAI but tempted to try, although the Magtech is still cheaper at 52 cents/rnd and chromos about 300 fps faster with the same weight slug.

MAI also shows 220 gr subs for $137/250 rounds, that's cheap for subs.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:12:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm curious too and in generally, how good is Remington 300BO brass? I was thinking about picking up some of their 220gr OTFB ammo, in part to keep the brass for reloading
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 8:05:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
All of it I've bought has Barnes brass.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:23:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same.

I've got a few boxes of it set aside. 110 Vmax in the gun.

OP you need a press and some M80 pulls unless you're wealthy.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:04:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Interesting....

Guess I will have to try a box.

As for the other question above, about the RP brass... I have not had any issues with RP brass  Anyone had issues?

I have a few Barnes cases, and the idea of a few more, without the Barnes price is nice.

Im kinda a Barnes whore though...
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I just went through my 300 Blackout brass stash and I discovered that some of Barnes' cases are crimped.  They use a two-part "wide stab" crimp, as opposed to a ring crimp.  I haven't had a chance to verify whether or not those cases were from the 120 grain OTFB rounds or not (they may have been range pick-ups).
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:17:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Same.

I've got a few boxes of it set aside. 110 Vmax in the gun.

OP you need a press and some M80 pulls unless you're wealthy.
View Quote
Appreciate the advice.  This is a gun tha twill get shot little, so pulling bullets won't really be worth it for my low volume application.  I'm mostly a 5.56 guy, and this is my niche gun that'll ride with me in a pack on road trips and hiking and such.  I've bought and shot 500 rounds of the Magtech 150's (will be putting at least 1500 through it before I truly trust it, but it's run perfect so far), and I'll buy more to have on hand (would like to keep about 1000 on hand eventually).  I've also got 4 x 20 round mags of Barnes Tac-TX 110gr black tip ammo loaded up for this gun.  Again, I'd like to stock a couple hundred rounds, but in no rush.  My go to guns in the house will be 5.56.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Fair enough, it's a fun caliber to load for though FYI.

$225 a case approximately.

I didn't think I'd shoot BLK alot but I've already put 1000 downrange in the past 6 months

I'm sure the Mag tech will be g2g
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 4:31:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Seller and Bellot goes for $11 a box both subs and supers.  Picked up some Rem subs for $12 this weekend at the gun show.  I like Magtech.  Haven't shot any yet in .300 but wouldn't hesitate.

Prices have been coming down.  Walmart even carries Rem at times but has been $15 a box which isn't a deal these days.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:17:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Pretty impressed with the magtech.

The Barnes 110g tac is only chronoing 50fps faster than the heavier magtech in my 8".
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I just went through my 300 Blackout brass stash and I discovered that some of Barnes' cases are crimped.  They use a two-part "wide stab" crimp, as opposed to a ring crimp.  I haven't had a chance to verify whether or not those cases were from the 120 grain OTFB rounds or not (they may have been range pick-ups).
View Quote
You MADE me pick up a box.
The Remington UMC 120gr OTFB
L300AAC1 is Barnes Brass (as you stated) with the 2 jaw type crimp.

Do we know what bullets loaded in this round?
Someone said it wasnt avalible to reloaders.

I havent picked up a box of UMC  for years because of how crappy it is.
Then I read if this load...
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#19]
The Barnes brass in the UMC/Remington factory 300 BLK ammo is excellent once you deal with the primer crimp. I just swaged all of mine with a Dillon Super Swage and Ballistic Tools Swage Gage this week. I've handloaded and shot one group of Barnes brass 3 times now. Walmart and Academy Sports carry the 120 grain ammo in my area. The factory load shoots well. I use the factory loads for practice and steel plates then handload the brass with higher quality bullets for hunting use. Good stuff.

Update FYI: I found the primer crimp to be pretty heavy in the Barnes brass when using the Dillon Super Swage. It took quite a bit of effort to swage the crimp away compared to other brass I've swaged.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:18:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
+1 on the Rem UMC.  Headstamped Barnes.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 10:12:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
I said the Barnes 120 grain OTFB bullet wasn't available.  Barnes lists all their component bullets on their site, and these aren't there.  They LOAD their ammunition with some bullets that aren't listed as components...
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:37:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I said the Barnes 120 grain OTFB bullet wasn't available.  Barnes lists all their component bullets on their site, and these aren't there.  They LOAD their ammunition with some bullets that aren't listed as components...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I shot them today for some numbers...

Average velocity
E Spread
SD

About all that can be expected I guess from "Remington UMC"

I was hoping for a little better.

At least I have some Barnes brass to load 110gr TAC/TX into

Eta....
I never stated this was fired from a BA 10" barrel.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 1:53:49 PM EDT
[#23]
My average velocity (in an 8" barrel) was similar to yours, but I had a much smaller ES, somewhere around 40-50fps if I recall correctly (data's put away somewhere, or I'd give you details).  I had quite good accuracy at 50 yards, which was the longest range I have tried it at.  My handloads with Sierra's 110 grain Varminter bullets gave me only slightly better accuracy with a bit higher velocity, but better enough that I'm not quite as unhappy that I can't get those Barnes bullets.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:35:21 PM EDT
[#24]
I wasnt trying the hardest for groups, but wanted to see how they shot numbers wise, and it was a good way to put some Barnes brass away.
I shot them at 100 yds with a red dot, sighted in at 50 with subs, just 4 fun. That quickly turned into shooting the steel at 100yds
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:17:09 PM EDT
[#25]
That UMC is very consistent across barrel lengths it was practically the same between 10" and 16"
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Chrono'd some of the UMC 120g today out of my 8" BA:

--120G UMC Remington OTFB:
1,901fps/ 30fps ES

Pretty consistent, but was expecting a little more velocity.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#27]
How about subsonic guys?  Recommendations?

Ps.  I shoot mostly supersonic but like to shoot a bit of subsonic at the range too.  More fun with my rig and that is what is loaded at home.  Have used Gemtech and Remington so far with no problems but would like some options.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 8:56:32 AM EDT
[#28]
It really looks like 300 is a reloaders caliber. Factory subs are very pricey.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 4:45:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It really looks like 300 is a reloaders caliber. Factory subs are very pricey.
View Quote
Actually that is some old school thinking as it is not hard to find subsonics for under $12 a box:

http://www.sgammo.com/product/300-aac-blackout-ammo/20-round-box-300-aac-blackout-200-grain-subsonic-fmj-ammo-sellier-bell

http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-6159032-11079827?sid=j3bbjlq7rd00zk8a012b1&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sportsmansguide.com%2Fproduct%2Findex%2Fsellier-amp-bellot-300-blackout-fmj-200-grain-20-rounds%3Fa%3D1930941

Here are some 220gr subs for $.36 per round if you buy 100 rounds which would come out to $7.20 per box of 20:

https://octanemunitions.com/product/300-blackout-220gr-subsonic/

Subsonic 208gr Amax and 187gr Gemtech for $12.99 a box:

http://www.bangitammo.com/store/#!/Choice-Ammunition-300-AAC-Blackout-208-gr-A-MAX-Subsonic/p/72267177

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/gemtech-300-aac-blackout-subsonic-black-polymer-tip-187-grain-p-58872.aspx

That took me all of about 20 seconds on Google and I am sure you could find better prices on subs if you looked. But hardly expensive for heavy .308 bullets with reloadable brass cartridges.

Heck you can even find supersonic plinking ammo for under $10 a box:

http://defenderoutdoors.com/armscor-usa-300-aac-blackout-full-metal-jacket-147-grain-1n
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:29:49 AM EDT
[#30]
For cheap subs I've had good luck with the Modern Arms Int. stuff, you can buy them by the 20 rnd box at Selway. Only placed a few orders from them but no complaints, good prices & service. They just advertised S&B 10mm for $14/box which is the cheapest I've seen it.

S&B subs also run well for me. The S&B subs are fmj and appear to be the same length as their supers. The MAI subs are a stubby poly coated lead slug and have a shorter overall length. I've had no feeding issues with them thru Lancers or D&H .300 mags but haven't tried any other mags yet.

Anyone tried .300blk subs from Octane Munitions or Peak Performance Ammo?
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:47:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Well I shot them today for some numbers...

Average velocity
E Spread
SD

About all that can be expected I guess from "Remington UMC"

I was hoping for a little better.

At least I have some Barnes brass to load 110gr TAC/TX into

Eta....
I never stated this was fired from a BA 10" barrel.
View Quote
I've shot about 200 rounds of this same UMC ammo through my 16" AR carbine for past few weeks and collecting/keeping brass to reload.  My numbers are not that far off from yours (based on 20 rounds from one box) but had better consistency:

Avg. Vel.2019
ES 101
SD 29

I was surprised by accuracy of this ammo as best groups are close to 1 MOA (1.2" for 10 rounds from 100 yards) regularly using my carbine with 16X scope.  With the 2X scope I have on it now for hunting I get about 2.5 MOA from 100 yards.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top