Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/19/2017 12:48:53 AM EDT
To protect hearing. What's a good load for 300 Blk?

Saw a couple YouTube videos of the Lehigh Defense 194gr Maximum Expansion.

http://www.lehighdefense.com/collections/rifle/products/300-aac-blackout-whisper-194gr-subsonic-maximum-expansion-ammo?variant=1066138648

But $2 per round! Ouch. If it really is good, a couple loaded mags won't break the bank, but definitely not stocking a can or 2 full....
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:18:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

http://www.lehighdefense.com/collections/rifle/products/300-aac-blackout-whisper-194gr-subsonic-maximum-expansion-ammo?variant=1066138648

But $2 per round! Ouch. If it really is good, a couple loaded mags won't break the bank, but definitely not stocking a can or 2 full....
View Quote

I did a lot of reading before I committed to stocking the shelves. For me, a sub is just a mortar past a couple hundred. The Remington 220 gr. seemed like the best quality to price ratio for subs, which I'll shoot much more of.
For supers, I decided on the Barnes Xtac 120gr. A reliable online source did a run, and it held the best group of 6 or 7 brands.
I assume you're shooting through a can?  If not, you really need one. This is where the 300 shines. You'll save $1.25/round with the Remi OTM's, and have the can paid for by the first brick.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:38:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

From what I've read and u-tubed, the lehigh 194g ME is the best thing out there for SD in subsonic 300.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:31:07 PM EDT
[#3]
How is Beck Ammunition? Looks like they make a Lehigh Defense cartridge about 10% cheaper.

I don't reload, but I ma keep all my 300 brass just in case.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:48:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I shoot Beck Lehigh's.  I haven't had any issues after shooting around five boxes. I have bought five boxes of the Gorilla Silverback Subs and intend on shooting those hundred for accuracy as well as function in the Lancer 20's I use.

For shooting beer cans and pinecones I use the Gorilla or Gemtech subs and try to buy all my ammo as close to 200 grains as possible so my beer can loads shoot close to my defense loads.  Oh, also getting ready to try the sellier bellot 200 subs and see how close they match the "defense" loads.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 2:01:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Just doing some redneck ballistic tests in my back yard and this is the Lehigh 194g Max Expansion that I recovered.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 2:53:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Indoors both supers and subs are plenty loud. I fear trying to find good subs comparable to something like 110gr black tip will be an exercise akin to pissing up a rope.

You do you, but I'd encourage you to just accept that guns are loud indoors, get Barnes 110gr, and be done with it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Indoors both supers and subs are plenty loud. I fear trying to find good subs comparable to something like 110gr black tip will be an exercise akin to pissing up a rope.

You do you, but I'd encourage you to just accept that guns are loud indoors, get Barnes 110gr, and be done with it.
View Quote

I would imagine the energy from the faster moving tsx will inflict more damage, but that lehigh I posted penetrated plenty and at one point was 1.5" wide.

Then again my test was far from scientific.

I have some 110g barnes Im going to try next weekend.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is right on.  In HD, your goal is to stop the fight.  Protecting hearing is important, but secondary to ending the threat.  To protect ears of others, keep bedroom doors closed.  That will help them some (probably at your expense).  Use a muzzle device that throws concussion forward, or a suppresor if you can afford one.

Picking a less effective round to stop a fight because you're worried about your ears is bad logic.

IF you can find tested ammo that performs as well as black tip, rock on.  I don't think you'll be able to, though.  Dr. Gary Roberts has some good ideas about ammo if you want to look him up (DOCGKR)
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:40:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Check out the new Nosler 220 grain sub sonic.  It expands.  Available as component or loaded ammo.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 2:17:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just doing some redneck ballistic tests in my back yard and this is the Lehigh 194g Max Expansion that I recovered.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/442087/194g-Lehigh-Max-Expansion-164454.JPG
View Quote

Lehigh had a sale this weekend. Ordered a few mag full. Looks very promising.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:27:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Lehigh had a sale this weekend. Ordered a few mag full. Looks very promising.
View Quote

I'm pretty impressed with what I've seen, even though my test was as backwoods as it gets.

Might see if Blue Falcon or MrGunsngear would test them in gel if I send them a few.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:41:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm pretty impressed with what I've seen, even though my test was as backwoods as it gets.

Might see if Blue Falcon or MrGunsngear would test them in gel if I send them a few.
View Quote
Picked up some S&B 200gr subs. I hope they give me a close zero to Lehigh.

Can't wait to assemble my parts. Come on ATF.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top