Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/13/2017 1:45:24 AM EDT
A while back I ordered some 9mm Speer Gold Dots. They were bulk packaged and were a good price at around .27/CPR. IIRC it was a deal posted here on Arfcom.  The description read "9mm 147 Grain Gold Dot G2 HP - SAA Personal Protection - 1000 rds Bulk, NEW."

The rounds I received have a clear, almost tacky feeling, rubber-type substance completely filling the hollow point hole. I've bought a variety of Gold Dots in the past but never any 9mm, much less this particular weight, etc.  No other Gold Dots I have ever purchased have ever had this rubber in the hollow point hole.

Is this normal for this particular round?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:54:33 AM EDT
[#1]
probably similar to Hornandy's Defense rounds.

The hole is "pre-clogged" for best terminal performance, so the theory goes.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:56:29 AM EDT
[#2]
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/11/07/speer-gold-dot-g2-now-filling-duty-le-magazines/

Instead of a large cavity in the nose, Gold Dot G2 has only a shallow dish filled with a high-performance elastomer. On impact, the material is forced into specially designed fissures to start the expansion process, as opposed to conventional bullet designs, which need target media to enter the hollow point and create expansion forces. The result is extremely uniform expansion, and more consistent penetration across barrier types, gun platforms and barrel lengths.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:34:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you!  I looked around before posting my question but apparently my google-fu was weak.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:49:08 AM EDT
[#4]
If these were the loose packed PD returns be aware this particular lot of ammo is VERY velocity dependent and will not reliably expand from less than a 4.5" barrel.

That is why the ammo was sold so cheap because the PD returned it because of poor performance out of their 4" Glock 19's.

Newer lots have supposedly improved performance in shorter barrels.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Does this mean all my Gold Dots are now obsolete?
Does this also mean that the FBI now needs to test this new round to confirm it's performance?

15+ years of consistency have now been ruined (possibly) by the addition of this polymer.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:26:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine went into my practice/farm ammo stash.

ETA - just realized the first post already explained what I was getting at. The deal was on returned ammo that was known to not expand properly.  I believe Speer actually recalled the ammo.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:08:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Very interesting. (going to see if they're doing this to all pistol calibers or just 9mm)
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#8]
G2 ammo has had issues. Not expanding reliably and some other problems.
I haven't  heard if Speer has addressed this but I would be surprised if they haven't.  They know about it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If these were the loose packed PD returns be aware this particular lot of ammo is VERY velocity dependent and will not reliably expand from less than a 4.5" barrel.

That is why the ammo was sold so cheap because the PD returned it because of poor performance out of their 4" Glock 19's.

View Quote

I keep it loaded in my M9 mags only for this reason.  Bought a ton of it for MP5 use, but never bought the MP5.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:03:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Got in on that deal also and use it in my EVO.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:16:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks for the information.  That's really good to know.  I'm pretty sure none of that was stated anywhere in the description when I purchased it.  But, given that I was supposedly buying high quality defense ammuntion for the price of practice rounds, I know something had to be up.  That's part of why I asked about the rubber in them.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:19:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Got in on that deal also and use it in my EVO.
View Quote

That's exactly why I posted the question.  I bought 1k a while back just to have (I don't carry 9mm pistols, really).

However I just picked up a CZ Scorpion and thought about using it as a defensive round in that.

So the consensus is that with +4.5" barrels (especially a 16" carbine) the ammunition is fine for defensive use?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks for the information.  That's really good to know.  I'm pretty sure none of that was stated anywhere in the description when I purchased it.  But, given that I was supposedly buying high quality defense ammuntion for the price of practice rounds, I know something had to be up.  That's part of why I asked about the rubber in them.
View Quote

You're right, it was not posted in the description, but I bought them before doing any research since they were so cheap!

I chose to not use them for defensive purposes at all only because of the voluntary recall to LE (who normally carry full size guns, or at least I did). That was my personal choice since I have other carry ammo that I'm more confident in. If I had a 16" 9mm I would probably feel better about them.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:28:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Bad results, over penetration and little expansion.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeVtwmHeRZQ
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 11:52:26 AM EDT
[#15]
It's Gold Dot G2.
It's designed for a 4.5" or longer barrel.
Will not expand in barrels shorter than this.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top